+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 218

Thread: Charm School 3

  1. #121
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    809

    Re: Charm School 3

    Quote Originally Posted by xox_courtneydee;3489655;
    I love bubbles! I wish there were more girls like her in the world who just enjoyed life and had fun. the episode that is currently on is pretty good, its almost making me cry!
    major tears welling here. what a mess

  2. #122
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: Charm School 3

    Ricki Lake is an amazing host. She's eliminating the right girls each week. Maybe Ashley should have went, but I felt that Natasha was the better choice. Not only did she admit that she didn't want to change, but also she did not bring much entertainment to the show. All she could do was complain about Ashley and Brittanya, and I got sick of that after a while.

    Not to mention that Natasha was up against Bubbles at the end. Oh gosh, it would have pained me to see her get eliminated. And having both of my favorites eliminated back-to-back would have been very tough.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

  3. #123
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,833

    Re: Charm School 3

    Quote Originally Posted by thisaintascene;3489867;
    the word ghetto has nothing to do with race. just because it is common to black people as you say, does not mean it has anything to do with race.
    Half of my family is Cajun Creole based ont heir feelings and reactions -the word `ghetto', as it is currently used, has incredible racial connotations. The word came into use in America sometime in the begining of the 20th century and was used exclusively to describe NON WHITE sections of cities. The word originated in Italy used to describe areas of cities where Jewish people were forced to live.
    In America, minorities embraced the word initially because a ghetto was a thriving culturally rich area where professionals and working class minorities lived.

    It was a positive word (in American terms) at one point-However it's meaning has been corrupted to denote negative or cliched behavior (directed at anyone) based on sterotypes of a particular mionority.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 06-09-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

  4. #124
    FORT Fogey buttahfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,645

    Re: Charm School 3

    wow.

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3489346;
    ^^ it's not contradictory, actually. Ghetto is a term used to describe a certain activity common to black people. Therefore, it describes a mannerism AND is a racial slur.

  5. #125
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: Charm School 3

    ^^ Wow? Someone said that the person who said it was a racist term was contradicting themselves since it was describing how someone acts and wasn't based on race. I said that nowadays basically what it's associated with is the way the ignorant and uninformed perceive black people to act. This makes calling someone "ghetto" a racist statement, does it not?

    I'm sorry if there was any confusion, when I said "common to black people" I should have put "" thingies around "common". I know it's not really common.

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3490916;
    Half of my family is Cajun Creole based ont heir feelings and reactions -the word `ghetto', as it is currently used, has incredible racial connotations. The word came into use in America sometime in the begining of the 20th century and was used exclusively to describe NON WHITE sections of cities. The word originated in Italy used to describe areas of cities where Jewish people were forced to live.
    In America, minorities embraced the word initially because a ghetto was a thriving culturally rich area where professionals and working class minorities lived.

    It was a positive word (in American terms) at one point-However it's meaning has been corrupted to denote negative or cliched behavior (directed at anyone) based on sterotypes of a particular mionority.
    Exactly. Someone should have explained all this to Ashley.

  6. #126
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Charm School 3

    I'm having a little problem with the term "ghetto". The city I grew up in (until I was 30) is definitely ghetto. The state of Utah, as you may know, has very few Blacks, and I do not think of them as being "black". My idea of ghetto, as used in this case, seems more representative of people who act a certain way. I tease both of my kids "ghetto". For example, I was shopping with my daughter, and afterword she got a taco. She was driving (and eating an old van while eating her food when she missed a turn. It was a sight, I tell ya, Now, to me, that is ghetto. I wasn't being racist at all, I was teasing her, I just that it was funny.

    Futermore, anyone can be ghetto - even whites. My older daughter cusses like a sailor , my younger one eats tacos while driving. And call them ghetto. Point is - while I call my girls "ghetto, I'm not referring to the color of their skin, Not all blacks are ghetto - I don't understand how that is racist. I called her ghetto, not black.

    Am I missing something? If so, could you please enlighten me?
    Last edited by J.D.; 06-12-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: can't spell today!

  7. #127
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,833

    Re: Charm School 3

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3497057;
    I'm having a little problem with the term "ghetto". The city I grew up in (until I was 30) is definitely ghetto. The state of Utah, as you may know, has very few Blacks, and I do not think of them as being "black". My idea of ghetto, as used in this case, seems more representative of people who act a certain way. I tease both of my kids "ghetto". For example, I was shopping with my daughter, and afterword she got a taco. She was driving (and eating an old van while eating her food when she missed a turn. It was a sight, I tell ya, Now, to me, that is ghetto. I wasn't being racist at all, I was teasing her, I just that it was funny.

    Futermore, anyone can be ghetto - even whites. My older daughter cusses like a sailor , my younger one eats tacos while driving. And call them ghetto. Point is - while I call my girls "ghetto, I'm not referring to the color of their skin, Not all blacks are ghetto - I don't understand how that is racist. I called her ghetto, not black.

    Am I missing something? If so, could you please enlighten me?

    Hi
    Let me try to explain it, so please be patient w/me. I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I'm certainly not wagging my figure at you- am just trying to make you understand a bit better.

    It's not about the color of your daughters skin, it's calling her ACTIONS and BEHAVIOR ghetto. Most people from the ghetto don't swear, so why would you call your daughters behavior `ghetto.'? If she graduated the top of her class from Harvard would you call that ghetto'? No. If your son dined in a fancy restaurant instead of eating tacos while driving, would you call that ghetto? No.
    The term originated in Italy as a slang term used by the white majority to describe, with great contempt, the areas of the city where Jewish people ( though `white, their religion made them a minority) were forced to live.

    My previous post describes how the word came to America - how it was and is used to describe ONLY urban areas inhabited by blacks. Not whites, not Hispanics, not any other group but blacks.

    The behavior and actions you describe when using the term, are not positive. As I wrote, my dad's side of the family is a mix of Cajun Creole and they are appalled by the way the term ghetto is used; as a catch all phrase to describe not only negative behavior and actions, but also as a descriptive for junky cars , bad clothes, terrible driving- a catch all phrase that doesn't describe anything good and honorable.
    I hope this helps some.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by redsox girl; 06-12-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

  8. #128
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,833

    Re: Charm School 3

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3495622;
    ^^ Wow? Someone said that the person who said it was a racist term was contradicting themselves since it was describing how someone acts and wasn't based on race. I said that nowadays basically what it's associated with is the way the ignorant and uninformed perceive black people to act. This makes calling someone "ghetto" a racist statement, does it not?

    I'm sorry if there was any confusion, when I said "common to black people" I should have put "" thingies around "common". I know it's not really common.



    Exactly. Someone should have explained all this to Ashley.
    I don't think she would have listened or cared. People don't sit back and think about ther power of words and how those words affect other people. Just as horrible was her use of the word retarded as an attack. I always imagine, when i hear that word used that way, someone who has mental retardation or one of their family memeber, hearing that word used in such a demeaning way. I think if Ashely wasn't so popular, she'd be long gone by now. She's rthis seasons villain and like Lacey before her, she'll make it to at least the final three.
    Seriously, Bubbles is just about the sweetest thing and I find her a thousand times smarter than Ashely when it comes to social graces. She seems to be a genuinely good person.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

  9. #129
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Charm School 3

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3497928;
    Hi
    Let me try to explain it, so please be patient w/me. I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I'm certainly not wagging my figure at you- am just trying to make you understand a bit better.

    It's not about the color of your daughters skin, it's calling her ACTIONS and BEHAVIOR ghetto. Most people from the ghetto don't swear, so why would you call your daughters behavior `ghetto.'? If she graduated the top of her class from Harvard would you call that ghetto'? No. If your son dined in a fancy restaurant instead of eating tacos while driving, would you call that ghetto? No.
    The term originated in Italy as a slang term used by the white majority to describe, with great contempt, the areas of the city where Jewish people ( though `white, their religion made them a minority) were forced to live.

    My previous post describes how the word came to America - how it was and is used to describe ONLY urban areas inhabited by blacks. Not whites, not Hispanics, not any other group but blacks.

    The behavior and actions you describe when using the term, are not positive. As I wrote, my dad's side of the family is a mix of Cajun Creole and they are appalled by the way the term ghetto is used; as a catch all phrase to describe not only negative behavior and actions, but also as a descriptive for junky cars , bad clothes, terrible driving- a catch all phrase that doesn't describe anything good and honorable.
    I hope this helps some.
    Don't worry, a wag of the finger does not bother me. If I'm not understanding this, I appreciate you explaining it from your point of view. I tease my kids about being "ghetto" because of their behavior which refers more to their actions than their skin color. My entire city is a ghetto. My kids live here. Why is that not ghetto? Maybe I'm just being naive, but to me the word "ghetto" does not connotate skin color, regardless of the origin of the word. A lot of the meanings of words have been modified over time.

    So, in the case of Charm School, what does "ghetto" mean? (honest question, not sarcasm)

  10. #130
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: Charm School 3

    Maybe that's how YOU use "ghetto" but it's important to be aware of the way the rest of the world does.

    Ashley used "ghetto" to describe the way the RCoL girls yelled at each other and swore. However, Bay Bay Bay brought up the point that Ashley herself not only swore, fought, and was nasty but she was also a stripper, making her "ghetto". However, Ashley clearly applied the term to them because they were black, IMO.

    BTW, we saw her baby's father on ROL Bus. He's hispanic, not black. So her kid is half hispanic, meaning she could easily be prejudiced towards blacks.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.