+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More to Love (New Mike Fleiss production on Fox)

More to Love (New Mike Fleiss production on Fox)

Fox orders overweight dating series

Fox orders overweight dating series
    'More to Love' will feature 'real women' as contestants

By James Hibberd

March 30, 2009, 01:00 AM ET

Fox is teaming with "The Bachelor" producer Mike Fleiss for a new dating-competition series that casts "average-looking" people.

The series, titled "More to Love," is billed as the first "dating show for the rest of us," throwing open its doors to overweight contestants.

"For six years it's been skinny-minis and good-looking bachelors, and that's not what the dating world looks like," Fox president of alternative Mike Darnell said. "Why don't real women -- the women who watch these shows, for the most part -- have a chance to find love too?"

The project has a similar format to "The Bachelor," where a group of woman compete for one man (producers describe him as a "Kevin James-type"). It marks the first time Darnell and Fleiss have teamed for a series in about nine years. The duo's previous dating show was the controversial, groundbreaking 2000 special "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?" which set the format template for ABC's "Bachelor" and a legion of imitators.

"More to Love" was inspired by the recent ratings success of "Bachelor" and the popularity of NBC's "The Biggest Loser," which Darnell credits with shattering an industry assumption that TV viewers only wanted to watch highly attractive people.

"This show is going to get a lot of people talking," Darnell said. "It may be a little controversial, but I think it will mostly be positive. This is so simple and so obvious, yet it has never been done."

Broadcast reality-dating shows such as the CW's "Beauty and the Geek" and NBC's "Average Joe" have featured less-than-handsome men but paired them with model-esque women.

"Most of the country isn't a Size 2," Fleiss said. "It's the dating show for the rest of us."

Contestants will do the sort of activities seen on "Bachelor," but producers suspect Jacuzzi or massage dates will take on a different perspective. "More to Love" will have makeover aspects -- when contestants wear ballroom gowns, for instance -- but Fleiss said the focus will not be on physical improvement.

"We want to send the message that you can be the size you are and still be lovable," he said. "We aren't going to thin these girls down so they can find love -- that's a backwards message."

But Fleiss has left open the possibility of twists. "More to Love" is casting, and no airdate has been set. For Fox, it marks a return to the relationship genre years after the network aired such shows as "Multi-Millionaire," "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance" and "The Littlest Groom."

"More to Love" is produced by Next Entertainment in association with Warner Horizon Television.

Re: More to Love (New Mike Fleiss production on Fox)

'The Bachelor' + 'The Biggest Loser' = new (brilliant? horrible?) FOX reality show | PopWatch Blog | EW.com

'The Bachelor' + 'The Biggest Loser' = new (brilliant? horrible?) FOX reality show

Mar 30, 2009, 11:54 AM | by Lindsay Soll

With the announcement of Fox's new reality dating series More To Love -- a series that casts "curvy women" and will pit them against each other to compete for the affections of a "single guy with a big waist and an even bigger heart" (yes, seriously) -- comes loads of questions...well, at least from me.

First off, the original rose-giver himself, Bachelor exec producer Mike Fleiss (pictured), who is teaming up with Fox's head of alternative programming Mike Darnell to concoct the show, has said, "Most of the country isn't a size 2....It's the dating show for the rest of us." With statements like that (and ones like this from Darnell: "Why don't real women -- the women who watch these shows, for the most part -- have a chance to find love too?"), I want to know: What exactly does it mean when someone is over the size of 2? Is that seriously what they are deeming as "curvy"? And since when does your size denote how "real" you are?

The press release also stated that this is the first dating show to reflect "what most real single men and women look like." Now I'm dying to know: Is this the tagline being given at casting sessions? How exactly are producers saying such things without worrying about being offensive? ("Uh, yeah, Sally, we really couldn't use you on The Bachelor, but your merely average looks are perfect for this new project!") No matter how true or not true it is, no one wants to hear that they're being considered for reality TV because they finally meet the criteria: full-figured and totally mediocre.

On the flip side, maybe I'm over thinking this. Maybe there are people out there who are willing to go the distance to get their 15 minutes of fame for love no matter what sort of stigma comes with it. Maybe this is the chance for these so-called real women and men to shine. After all, Fleiss argues that this dating show is about sending the right message: "Embracing and loving yourself no matter your shape or size." And he adds, "When you are comfortable with your own body, you can really allow yourself to be open to the possibility of finding the right person to love. Guess I just never realized that past Bachelor contestants -- like Jen Schefft and Melissa Rycroft -- weren't, by those standards, comfortable in their own skin.

Bottom line, I'm definitely intrigued by this new show, and can't wait to see how far it will get before it gets too controversial. Though, controversy always tend to garners viewers, doesn't it? What do you think of More To Love, PopWatchers? Will you watch or boycott? Discuss below!

Fleiss doing something nice...now why don't i believe that...dating for the 'rest of us" yea i already see the twist coming in that one....getting the guy interested in a woman that is not a size 2 then bringing in a bunch of size 2 girls...lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Blech...I will not be watching anything produced by Fleiss!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Sorry, but saying that Fleiss is trying to do......a show for the rest of the folks....just comes across as an oxymoron. Nothing at all altruistic about that man.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-30-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm going to hold out judgment on this one. This will either be a good thing or it could be exploitative. We'll see...
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3397250;
    I'm going to hold out judgment on this one. This will either be a good thing or it could be exploitative. We'll see...
    Where Fleiss is involved I would bet on EXPLOITIVE!...I can't beleive that anything he is involved in would not be twisted and tampered with to some degree....the first season may be "untouched" but after that he will get his grubby paws and mangle it to death!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3397098;
    Fleiss doing something nice...now why don't i believe that...dating for the 'rest of us" yea i already see the twist coming in that one....getting the guy interested in a woman that is not a size 2 then bringing in a bunch of size 2 girls...lol
    I think that might be exactly what he has up his sleeve.
    I hope not because I imagine many of the size 2's that show up will be in it for the facetime rather than because they're generally looking for an overweight partner.
    There are enough fameseekers on these shows as it is.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I take offense to him saying "the rest of us" like we are a lower class of human being. Bleh... not going to even give it a go.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread