+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PBS dives into reality again with "Manor House"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

PBS dives into reality again with "Manor House"

From the PBS web site.

Manor House
    PBS presents Manor House, a gripping new series which brings class to reality television. Nineteen volunteers from the modern world find that life of a grand country house in the early 20th century is plagued by all-too familiar themes: money, power and position.

Taking Manderston (an authentic Edwardian pleasure palace in the Scottish Borders), a family of five and a newly formed staff of 14 - this six-part series turns back the clock to re-create life as it was for the new rich and their servants during the halcyon period in British social history before the First World War. Everything is quintessentially British: a magnificent house and boating lake, model dairy and tea room, croquet and tennis in the garden, a stable full of horses and carriages - and a group of people utterly divided and ruled by class.

The People
    Our modern family upstairs, the Olliff-Coopers, have been taken away from the stresses and strains of modern life to a world where everything is done for them. Attending to their every whim and desire is a team of 14 staff who will do everything for them from picking up clothes to brushing down horses.

All the staff downstairs are volunteers with no experience of working as a servant in a 'big house'. The butler and the housekeeper have been given some training in their duties and it is their responsibility to turn their fellow recruits into a crack team of country house servants: an efficient, discreet and respectful machine.

For three months, the household functions as it would have done in pre-First World War England. Every participant in the experiment has agreed not just to live with Edwardian technology, but to abide by Edwardian standards of behaviour and to adapt to a complicated set of rules that governs everything in their daily lives.

The House Hierarchy
    Overarching these rules is an intricate pecking order, which firmly places everybody in the house in a set social position and decides every aspect of life - who can initiate conversation, who has pudding at lunch, who can have a bath and when. The hierarchy is all-important amongst the servants, but it is most obvious in the division between family and staff. Everyone from the maid in the scullery to the master in the study will act in a fashion appropriate to his or her status.

How will each of the 21st century volunteers react to a social structure where there is a place for everyone and everyone knows their place?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Yikes, this starts on Monday!
    I'm assuming the times posted on their site are ET.

[IMG]images/stor/MANOR.jpg[/IMG]
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

I can not wait to see this series. I loved 1900 house and frontier house(hope I got the names right). It is so interesting to see how people will act in these situations. Who will cheat...who will break class ranks? Fun, fun!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Feifer, I thought Frontier House was very interesting too! I'll probably check it out.

I loved Frontier House and 1900 House also.

I read that they went through two scullery maids. the first one didn't realize what a scullery maid did and bailed. She wanted to get an understanding of a woman's life back then but apparently she couldn't cope with the heirarchy.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Well, I watched Manor House and I can tell I'm not a 1905 kind of person. It set me on edge with the differences between the upstairs and downstairs people. The little boy of the family thought how neat it would be to have someone wait on him for any little thing which was very irritating. I wasn't surprised to find that they've lost two maids in two weeks either. Seeing something like this show makes you realize how lucky we all are that the social system of that era died out.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Gracie, was the show worth watching? I was thinking about taping it on the marathon day where they show all 6 hours in a row (May 4)

FORT Newbie
    I thought it was great -- a sort of social Survivor. I hadn't seen any of the earlier PBS reality shows, so it was all new to me. All the interaction and the way everyone moved into their roles was fascinating.

Hey, welcome to the FORT Mierk.

And thanks for the information.

I watched the first 2 hours last night. A very well done show.
    Things were very different 100 yers ago.
    The downstairs staff hasn't yet realized that there was a class system then. They still want to talk back to their boss and have this strange sence of equality with them.
    I'm looking forward to more.
    But 3 months of it?? What were they thinking? I'd like about a week of role playing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast