+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tough Love (VH1)

Re: Tough Love (VH1)

What I've found interesting, especially after yesterday's show, is that the women do NOT know how to handle the camera all the time. Jody was clearly trying to find a private space, some of the others brought out a blanket to help shield her and I caught Jessa several times giving the camera nervous looks. Arian's hissy fit was the only time I felt someone was "performing" for the cameras.

This says to me that these women are not fame-seeking losers. They're all trying very hard to find a match in this artificial environment. Taylor may have started out that way, but she has shockingly turned into one of my faves. Her letter to Jody teared me up (and I do NOT do that over reality shows!!).

My only quibble is that Natalie seems to be getting short shrift on every episode. I certainly hope she is matched with someone soon and we get to know her better.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I am really liking this show too! My favorite moment so far was Steve's tip #75 (or whatever): Shut Your Yap. Cracked me up!!
    Jody's fit yesterday was such an overreaction - I've been asked that question too, and sure it does hurt and you want them to just shut up already, but you don't go crying and have a meltdown!!! The screaming "NOW!" over and over was just so out of control that I went from kinda being able to relate to being horrified at her. At least she's stopped talking about her job, but I really don't enjoy watching her.
    I'm liking Taylor more now too, and hope she can grow/mature - she is fun to watch.
    Arian seems to really have some issues. Does she leave after all this (or is made to leave)?
    I was disappointed that Jessa didn't give that guy more of a chance.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can't help but wonder if Arian was sexually abused as a child. A lot of people who are extremely sexual as adults were sexually abused as children.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3404067;
    I can't help but wonder if Arian was sexually abused as a child. A lot of people who are extremely sexual as adults were sexually abused as children.
    I think there are some obvious issues with this poor girl, and she is certianly on a very distructive path in her life. She seems to be in the right place to get the help she needs, and even if it is not "relationship" help she needs I think she will be on the road to get the help she needs. I think this is one of the best "reality" shows out there, it is nice to see helpfulness presented with out WINNERS or LOSERS

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3404067;
    I thought the same thing. It's one thing to really like sex, but there is a time and a place and she just can't seem to tone it down around men. AT. ALL.
    I mean, that was not a normal bar scene. There were bright lights, she seemed to be front and center of the cameras and she is groping the guy??? Gimme a break. There is something else going on with her that we don't know about.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3403732;
    I really love Taylor. At first she annoyed me, but now I just love her. She cracks me up.
    I agree. At first I just wished she would go away and now she seems pretty cool. I liked that she was nice on the bar trivia date even though she was repulsed by her date's breath haha!

FORT Fogey

Arianne claims her issues stem from a bad relationship with her dad, but that was apparently based on her never being good enough for him.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

For Arianne to go so far so quickly, my first thought was that the mention of rape hit a really raw spot. I think it's going to come out that she was abused by someone. Whether it was as a child or later in life I don't know, but you don't go that far off the handle without something causing it.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Poor Jody. Talk about being trapped in a situation with no escape. It was obvious from the moment he asked that idiotic quiestion that he had hit a vunerable spot. Anyone with even an ounce of empathy would have apologized and moved on to another conversation point. Even though he knew she was visably and verbally upset he kept at her not only during the dinner but on the way home. I think that's what really started to get to her. Whether intentional or not, he came across to her as insensitive and even cruel because no mater how many signals she gave to stop, he ignored them and kept plowing ahead. That probably had Jody thinking 'ahh, see he isn't so nice, I knew it, the other shoe has dropped.' It was very uncomfortable for me, at least, to watch and listen to him dismiss her anxiety and tears as unwarrented. We can never know what another person has gone through in life until they trust us enough to let us in..the empathetic thing to do would have been to say to Jody `look, I'm sorry I brought it up, my intention wasn't to make you feel like I think there's something wrong with you...' and then tried to move on. Instead, he made it worse by not letting it go.
    She comes across as being made of steel and iron- absolutley unwilling to be vunerable. That's her defense mechanism and I think she was starting to let that vunerable side show, with this guy, just a little bit ..and then, he hit on all of her fears and insecurites, not only by asking the question but by the way he handled the whole situation afterwards...He seemed to want to argue with her and justify his line of questioning, rather than being sensitive to her reactions.
    I think she felt judged, trapped, overwhelmed,diminished and yes, very dissapointed. I think she was really falling for him and the way he went from being so thoughtful (the Rolling Stones CD ) to all of a sudden questioning her in a way which made it sound like "there must be something wrong with you that you are still single rather than divorced..."
    I was impressed too, with her insistance, that in order to see her again he must look her in the eyes and apologize sincerely for his behavior. It means she isn't shutting down or giving up,that she's willing to see past his awkward handling of the situation.
    I'm glad we are getting to see the real Taylor, she's absolutley sweet. I think most of these girls are nice, but their life experiences have caused tremendous emotional damage for them and so, it's hard for me to judge any of them. I am worried about Arien. Something very bad has happened to her because she is acting like someone who truly believes her only worth is in her sexuality.There's no self love evident. It's this `Here, let me act like a whore because that's what you want and that's all that I am worth.' I think sexual assault and abuse is something which has happened to her and acting out hypersexually is her way of dealing with it... when Steve mentioned rape her enraged reaction vovered up what she really was trying to say, but couldn't , that is `It happened to me, that's why I'm like this!' There's embarrassment, shame...and a sometimes detached and innappropriate, giggly response to him that is more defense mechanism than a true reflection of who she is underneath it all.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 04-07-2009 at 12:02 AM.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

+ Reply to Thread