+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Chopping Block

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

The Chopping Block

Series Premier 11, March 2009

It's anybody's guess as to whether or not this show will air again, or what time slot it may occupy. Certainly as of this date, NBC's site gives no indication.

I'm not sure if this show is worth the attention of most viewers. However, I will more than likely watch the next episode, if there is one, because of one of the contestants. Lisa Stalvey and I used to work together at Wolfgang Puck's 'Granita' in Malibu. After she left I became a huge fan of her 'Bambu' restaurant, also in Malibu.

I can tell you she is an excellent and creative chef, and a pretty nice person to boot. I'll be rooting for her all the way.

Re: The Chopping Block

I watched a bit of this tonight but was totally turned off by the host and judge of the show. If he's a renowned chef, I've never heard of him. I would never want him and his stringy, long hair anywhere near my food.

I do hope your friend does well Uncle David.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3380828;
    I watched a bit of this tonight but was totally turned off by the host and judge of the show. If he's a renowned chef, I've never heard of him. I would never want him and his stringy, long hair anywhere near my food.

I do hope your friend does well Uncle David.
    The judge was a food critique for, I believe, The New Yorker Magazine.

FORT Regular

Isn't there a show on the Food Network called "The Chopping Block", with the food expert from "Queer Eye . . ."

FORT Fanatic

Tom Shales of the Washington Post had a negative article yesterday, and I agree with him. Don't know if I will bother watching it again. Way too over-dramatic.

Could Chef White PLEASE get his hair under control - very unattractive for someone in the food business. And he is WAY too over-dramatic. I mean, it's just dinner.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3380838;
    Isn't there a show on the Food Network called "The Chopping Block", with the food expert from "Queer Eye . . ."

That show is "Chopped".

I missed it! I thought it was on next week.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

The host is chef Marco Pierre White. The anonymous restaturant critic in last night's episode was from The Atlantic Monthly, I think.

Uncle David - Lisa did great last night. She looks like an early favorite for sure.

I like the concept of this show. It seems a much better test to find out who is best qualified to run a restaurant than Hell's Kitchen.

I would have liked to have seen Chef White evaluate each pair's performance.

I thought I would be the only one watching this. I'm crazy for Marco. I sat through all of Hell's Kitchen UK and I'll be glued to this one as well. (It's quite a bit better already than HK UK, which was comprised of a bunch of Brit C-lister celebs.) Marco is the chef who trained Gordon Ramsay, and is famously known for making him cry. In fact, I do believe there's even a picture in one of Marco's books that actually shows a young Ramsay in tears.
    I think Marco is a well-known celebrity in the UK. He's led a very colourful life and I believe he even dropped out of the restaurant business for a while. He's far more intense than Ramsay but he's not loudmouthed, vulgar, or obnoxious. But he has one hell of a death's-head stare.

Uncle David, is your friend Lisa the blonde woman who was the winning head chef for the red team? I liked her a lot and thought she did an excellent job.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I don't know if I like this show or not. I read the reviews here first so I may have been biased but it seemed as if I must have missed an episode because I jumped right in this guy's personal space and opinions (as if we the audience was already supposed to have a personal connection with him) and I also felt I didn't know the back story of any of the contestants. I was really pissed off at Than or Zan the front of house guy as I felt he was really rude to Angie and then to hear his brother the head chef tell Angie not to come back to the kitchen until she had learned to cook was really nasty considering he was the one who sent out undercooked chicken and yet the critic loved Angie's crab cake. Also the boys are supposedly here to win the money so they can open a restaurant for their beloved mom and yet look how they treated Angie, a woman who was old enough to be their mother. Bit smelly there.

The editing and narration really felt off to me.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast