+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Chopping Block

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: The Chopping Block

Apparently it has to do with something called geo-blocking...

Geoblocking is a technology that is used to prevent access to web sites from visitors in particular countries or regions.

At the moment it is mainly used by traditional broadcast companies who are moving their television, radio and music content online. Because of distribution contracts with the producers of these programmes many broadcast web sites limit access to people with in their own country.

Whenever a person connects to the internet, their computer or mobile device is assigned what is called an IP address. This is a sequence of numbers in the form 255.255.255.255. The IP address is assigned to you by the internet service provider (ISP) that you are connecting through and these in turn are assigned to the ISP in blocks. It is therefore possible to say that a particular IP address is from a particular country or even city.

Site owners that want to use geoblocking simply choose to only allow access to a particular range of IP addresses or to block certain ranges.

This type of location based services can also be used to serve alternative content (e.g. with advertising) instead of just blocking the visitor.
    Theoretically, if there was a program out there that would identify your location as someplace in the US, you would be able to view American television from a Canadian location.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Hooray - Episode 4 is up on the NBC site.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3401353;
    Hooray - Episode 4 is up on the NBC site.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'd already forgotten the show used to be on Wednesday nights.

Anyone have a summary of episode 4? I am unable to view it.

Long story short...

Zan chose to be Head Chef for the Black Team even though Angie has not yet had a turn.

Angie and Kelsey again proved they are the weakest chefs. (Kelsey had to be shown how to properly cook a salmon fillet, and Angie went into another chef's station, without telling them, and interfered with the cooking process.)

Although the food critic had a better time in the Black Team's restaurant, she preferred the Red Team's food.

Zan, rightly, took the blame for the loss, and was sent home.

Thanks Uncle David. I'm still hoping to find the epis elsewhere online. The first one is on you tube so perhaps the others will follow.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thanks for the summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3397888;
    Apparently it has to do with something called geo-blocking...

Theoretically, if there was a program out there that would identify your location as someplace in the US, you would be able to view American television from a Canadian location.
    Thanks for explaining that, I was trying to watch Project Runway Canada and could not get access. Personally I think geo-blocking sucks.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Episode 5 is up.

Brief synopsis:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Each restaurant will serve Italian food at lunch on Italian Day. Marco prepares a tuna steak in 5 mins. He says the secret is having everything prepped. The challenge is for each team to prepare a pasta and entree, with each chef doing one dish. They have20 min to prep and 10 min to cook. Lisa and Kelsey both want to do a pasta dish. Kelsey lets Lisa do the pasta and she does scallops. Dean does a carbonara with kalamata olives (he says it's his grandmother's recipe) and I think Angie does a shrimp dish. Marco likes Kelsey's dish best and Lisa's least and gives the win to the black team. For their prize, they get a top-of-the-line espresso machine and someone to run it.

The teams go food shopping in Little Italy. The red team buys premade ravioli. There will be no menus, so the servers will have to be able to describe the dishes. Angie is head chef for the black team; I guess Lisa is for the red, though it either wasn't made clear or I missed it. Marco goes to each restaurant with Mario Batalli; a food critic from Gourmet magazine and his wife go to each restaurant; and various cast members from The Sopranos go to each restaurant.

Vince Pastore dines at Crimson and goes to the kitchen before he leaves to tell chefs he enjoyed the food. The food critic is ignored for a bit when he goes to Crimson. At Soul, another Soprano actor and his party wait about an hour and a half for their food and then aren't that happy with it. There are children climbing on the bar and crying because they're hungry. Marco is there with Mario and is embarrassed and they leave without eating.

The food critic said Soul's antipasto was like something served on an airplane, the clams were gritty, the carbonara with kalamata olives was strange and had bits of egg in it, and the veal was tough. The critic thought Crimson's veal was also tough and called them on using premade ravioli and what tasted like canned sauce (all tomatoes had been recalled, so they used canned tomatoes to make the sauce). The critic gave the win to Crimson.

Marco is most upset about the children not being fed. He asks for an explanation from the black team. Angie, wagging her finger at Marco, defends herself. Marco tells her not to point her finger at him. Shari says there is no excuse for what happened, that they failed. Angie goes into another defense, again pointing her finger at Marco. Angie and her daughter are asked to leave. Marco says they were only thinking about themselves whereas Dean and Shari were truly concerned about what had happened.

Angie: "I thought it went great!"

Marco: "To unravel that amount of arrogance is going to take a lifetime."

I found this week's show anticlimactic. For me, the outcome of this week's show was sealed last week when Marco proclaimed that Angie would be the head chef for the Black Team. In my mind there's never been a doubt that once Angie was forced to take the helm, she would be tossed off the show. Yet, I wish Angie and Samantha would have stayed. The entertainment value of those two trying to run the restaurant alone would have been priceless.

Having said that, I'm a bit disappointed in my girl Lisa. She's better than that. It has to be the pressure.

As an aside... Carbonara with Kalamata olives is a joke. I love Kalamata olives, but they completely change the concept of the dish. Pancetta already has enough salt for the dish. Adding in the olives is overkill. And, the diner should never be able to see the egg in the dish. That's inexcusable. The food critic was absolutely right in panning the dish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast