+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Chopping Block

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: The Chopping Block

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3381190;
    Uncle David, is your friend Lisa the blonde woman who was the winning head chef for the red team? I liked her a lot and thought she did an excellent job.
    Yup! That's Lisa.

I've worked with a lot of chefs over the years. Some great, some not so much. All of them were jerks in the kitchen, some also jerks in real life. Lisa was the exception to the rule. I loved her both in and out of the kitchen. It will take some creative editing to make her appear as anything but a talented and likable professional. I hope she wins it all.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3381190;
    Marco is the chef who trained Gordon Ramsay, and is famously known for making him cry.
    I would have paid to see that.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 03-13-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3381776;
    I would have paid to see that.
    Me too. We do watch HK at our house because my husband really likes it for some reason, but I have no use for Ramsay. I'll be rooting for your friend Lisa.

Bearcata, HK UK was a bit like this show. I like that it's not as cheesy and melodramatic as HK, and obviously I'm a fan of Marco whereas I don't like Ramsay. They did introduce Marco in the beginning of the show and there was a quick bio, and it seemed to me that the couples got just a little less time for backstories as those on TAR.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Still not feeling this show.

I was proud of Lisa tonight. Even though Michael threw Lisa under the bus, she had the class to be honest in who was the real problem in the kitchen. I hope Michael and Panya were paying attention. They both need to follow her example.

Being a fan of Marco's, I'm hanging in for the duration of the show no matter what. I'm enjoying it much more than HK, mind you. This show has much more to do with the actual running of a restaurant, though, whereas HK seems to focus more on training a head chef.

Lisa is looking like the frontrunner at this point, along with the Italian couple. I'm puzzled as to why Angie's team seems so down on her - she appears to be one of the better cooks and she was the only person who knew water glasses should be on the table. (Personally, I hate having to ask for water at a restaurant - shouldn't it just be automatic for a server to bring water to the table right away?)
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

In the Western states where water is a precious commodity guests are given water only if they ask for it. Also, in fine dining restaurants you typically don't set a table with a water glass. A single wine glass is used for a couple of reasons.
    • You want to suggest to the diner that wine would be nice with the meal.
    • Also, you want the waiter to ask if the guest wants to have bottled water. (Remember, restaurants are retail sales outlets. The product is food, but it's still about sales. Wine and water are great ways to increase the check average)
    • Finally, those deuces (tables for two) were quite small. The more you put on the table the smaller the table looks. Guests don't like to feel crowded. If they feel the table is to small they'll ask to move to a larger table. Then, you are either forced to accommodate them and either lose a four top (thereby losing two seats that generate money, or disappointing them by refusing their request. Either way you've started out on the wrong foot.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

hmmm, I'd buy those arguments if the restaurant was out West, but it is not. In the East, water glasses are standard.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

That's interesting, I didn't consider that water rationing would be a factor. Also, I don't often eat at establishments that could be considered "fine dining". Now I'm trying to recall if water glasses are on the tables at the good restaurants I have been to. Maybe it does vary from region to region. I thought the tables were quite small as well, and if I recall correctly the last time we ate at a table for two there were zero glasses on the table. I think I must have asked for water when I ordered a glass of wine, which I always do when the kids aren't with us. (Well, sometimes when they are, depending on how my day has gone and how they've been behaving.)

I'm reading Marco's autobiography right now, maybe the water glass thing is mentioned in there somewhere.

I can't believe she played the race card. Disgusting!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3393464;
    I can't believe she played the race card. Disgusting!
    Absolutely. I was glad to see Panya go but felt sorry for David.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

The water glass subject is interesting because I believe it is geographic in what is standard. I waitressed in Florida and water was an automatic at every table as you greeted them. But, when waitressing in California, water had to be requested because of the shortage. There were signs in California restaurants way back when , but now everyone is just used to it. I live in Texas now, and water has to be requested.
    BUT - when it comes to very fine dining, a water glass is part of the tablescape everywhere and if they wanted their restaurant to be portrayed as fine dining, not casual, they should have included them.
    On another note - there is an italian chain here that has their table set with wine glasses and then they take them away if you don't want wine. It grosses me out because children (and even some adults) come to the table and start playing with the glasses and then the server puts them back as clean if noone orders wine. I won't order wine there because I know I won't get a clean glass!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast