+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Makeover-Episode 1 Those Lips, Those Eyes

Extreme Makeover-Episode 1 Those Lips, Those Eyes

Extreme Makeover-Episode One Those Lips, Those Eyes!

Extreme Makeover is the show where America's best surgeons, dentists, trainers and stylists do their magic and transform people's lives in ways they could never imagine. Two lucky people will be offered nose jobs, breast lifts, body sculpting, new hair styles, cosmetic dentistry and brand new designer wardrobes.

The show opens with host, Sissy Biggers, joining our first makeover candidate for what the candidate believes is an interview for a chance at the show. In reality she has already been chosen and Sissy is here to surprise her. We meet Kine’ (pronounced Kinay) Corder who is a 29 year old, single, hair stylist on Chicago's South Side. Her warmth and wit have made her a favorite in her profession. She claims that she is not confident, just fearless. Kine's childhood was a normal one until the third grade when her lips began to grow and did not stop until adulthood. A montage of pictures is shown on the screen while her family talks about their overall acceptance of people no matter how they looks. Her family was supportive, but her friends avoided talking about her lips. She does not have much intimacy in her life and wonders if her lips are the barrier between her and true romance. Through tears she explains how she is really glad to even be considered to be on Extreme Makeover. Kine’ was sure she would have never opened up about her insecurities and worried that she would be 65 and still worried about it one day if it were not for the show. Sissy finally tells Kine’ that she is getting the makeover and Kine’ is overwhelmed.

[IMG]images/stor/KineBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG]
    Kine’

Now we meet our second candidate, Tammy Guthrie. Tammy is surrounded by her family as Sissy is announcing that she will be on the show. Then we cut to the personal interview where Tammy tells us she is a 40 year old, stay at home mom with three kids who lives on the Gulf Coast of Florida in St. Petersburg. Tammy says that she is feeling run down and just cannot afford to do what it would take to look and feel the way she wants to on a single income (her husband’s). All of her life she has had a lot of responsibility. She grew up really fast as the only girl in a family with a mother with mental illness. She took over as caregiver for her family when she was only a child and has not stopped taking care of people since. She is bound and determined for her children to always feel unconditional love and to never feel neglected. In meeting that goal she has let herself go and now it is time to reclaim some time and attention for herself.

[IMG]images/stor/TammyBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG]
    Tammy

After a couple of farewell parties the two ladies are off to LA to start their extreme makeovers. They will not see their friends and families for six weeks. A limo takes them from the airport to their posh Sunset Strip hotel. Separately, they are whisked away to meet the first member of the makeover team. Garth Fisher, M.D. will be their plastic surgeon.

We join Tammy and Dr. Fisher in consultation. She explains that she has noticed droopiness and sagging in her face, mostly in the cheeks and the neck, and that acne scarring is concerning her. He explains that the laser is the way to go with the scarring, but that there are varying side effects to it. We jump to a confessional shot where Tammy tells us how pleased and comfortable she is with the Doctor's personal touch. Next Dr. Fisher shows Tammy what she will look like post procedure using computer imaging. Back at confessional, Tammy tells us this is better than the lottery as it’s any woman's dream.

Now it is Kine's turn for consultation. She looks forward to changing her lips, having a breast lift and some liposuction in the tummy area. Kine’ is still having a hard time absorbing all of this and feels like she is in Oz and the doctor is The Wiz. He assures her it is for real and offers to pinch her as proof. This loosens her up a bit and he examines her to see what needs to be done, explaining each procedure. In confessional we see Kine’ in what appears to be a dentist's chair telling us it still seems like a dream.

Before a commercial we get snippets of what is to come. We get to meet Dr. William Dorfman, D.D.S., cosmetic dentist. Kine’ will have her teeth whitened before her surgery because it will take several weeks for her lips to heal. Dr. Dorfman's company invented Zoom, a procedure that will whiten teeth up to ten shades whiter.

After the ladies have met with the Extreme Team the ladies just have to wait for surgery time. Tammy will be getting her eyes done, a face lift, her acne scars removed, her teeth fixed and a nose job. While Tammy concentrated only on the face, Kine’ will have some procedures on her body as well. She is getting her lips reduced, her teeth fixed, her breasts lifted, lasik eye surgery, and liposuction at the waistline.

The day of surgery comes quickly for Tammy and she is not really nervous until they are about to administer anesthesia. As the doctor works on the face he expresses how important it is to do the entire face so that the result is even all over and does not look pieced together. The doctor is confident that the results of Tammy's procedures will be excellent and she is off to recovery.

The next day before dawn Kine’ is on her way to the surgery center. She had a last minute phone call with her family in the limo. Once at the center the doctors confirmed for Kine’ what procedures they would do. They started with the lips and Kine's dental surgeon was there for consultation about future surgery on her gums. The doctors really wanted to balance her overall look. Next they went on to the lipo and breast lift.

With all the surgery completed it is time for recovery. Tammy had a reaction to the anesthetic and was vomiting through the night. The doctor reassures her that it is a common reaction and easily corrected. The next day Tammy is much better.

A few days later, Tammy get her first look at her face since the surgery. Though she has minimal bruising, there is what the doctor calls "rug burns" from the laser removal of acne scars. She is a little unnerved by the stitches on her face but the doctor is very reassuring by telling her how pleased he is with the progress.

Five days after surgery Kine’ visits the doctor and they evaluate her progress. The doctor is impressed with her recovery and quick healing time. He had never seen anyone heal so fast. Kine’ is pleased.

Tammy gets a second visit with the doc 10 days post surgery and this will be the first time she sees her nose without the splint and bandages. Though he gives her all the warnings of uneven swelling, her face looks great and she is pleased with her new nose. Next it is off to the dentist office for a new smile. They filed down some teeth and added veneers on the bottom front teeth. Tammy is amazed at how much of a difference it makes.

Next we meet Dr.Robert K. Maloney, M.D. He has done over twenty five thousand lasik surgeries and is considered a pioneer in his field. By the time Kine’ leaves his office she will never need glasses again. The procedure is quick and seamless.

While Tammy gets collagen her lips, as well as a facial at Dr. Fisher's office, Kine’ is off for body sculpting with trainer to the stars, Michael George. Throughout their stay, the ladies have delicious organic meals delivered directly to the hotel to help them keep on track with their fitness and nutrition plans.

Fashion stylist Dina Coben helps Tammy find a dress for the reveal party. Then they go to Georgiano's Jewelers where Jeono Georgiano has made beautiful three diamond drop earrings just for Tammy. Tammy is shocked and admits that those are the only diamonds in her jewelry collection.

Now it is time for Kine’ to meet with Dina and get her fashion advice. Dina wants a more sophisticated look for Kine’. She finds several dresses that suit her.

At the hairstylist, Tammy is treated to a new ‘do. Jonathan Antin gives her a Meg Ryan bed head look that will be easy for her to maintain. Kine's stylist, Tracci Johnson, wants to get rid of the dreadlocks, but Kine’ wants to keep them. They compromise with extensions and Kine’ ends up with a funky modern afro type do.

Makeup artist Carolyn Bowden is brought in to do the makeup for Tammy and is all about the natural look. Light, fresh makeup is the way to go.

Kine’ is made over by Merc Arceneaux who wants to keep her makeup simple and focus on the eyes.

After six weeks of makeover, it is time to return home and reveal the new look to family and friends.

[IMG]images/stor/KineAfterEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/KineAfterEMFull.jpg[/IMG]

Kine’ has a big group of people excited to see the new version of their loved one. When she walks through the curtain in a zebra print dress, everyone cheers and Kine’ lights up. There are hugs and kisses all around.

[IMG]images/stor/TammyAfterEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/TammyAfterEMFull.jpg[/IMG]

Tammy is headed to the reveal party where her family and friends wait to see the change. Tammy burst through the curtain in a fuscia dress and spins around beaming with her new smile. Everyone seems pleased with her appearance.

This weeks Extreme Makovers were fantastic! I can not wait to see what happens next week.

If you wouls like to contact the author of this article you may do so at feifer@fansofrealitytv.com

Thanks to Sher for editing and polishing this article.
    Last edited by Feifer; 04-25-2003 at 05:55 PM.

Before and After

[IMG]images/stor/KineBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/KineAfterEM.jpg[/IMG]
    Kine’

[IMG]images/stor/TammyBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/TammyAfterEM.jpg[/IMG]
    Tammy

I realize that these are the same pictures as the recap, but sometimes you just have to see them side-by-side.

Thanks for the recap and before/after pics. Good job, Feifer

I thought this was a great show too. I love a good makeover!
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

FORT Fogey
    I enjoyed reading your recap, Feif, good job!

I don't know if I was repulsed by the show or not. I was thinking that if I wanted a makeover I wouldn't do it in front of millions of people, but I guess the savings of thousands of dollars is quite an incentive.

Are the candidates selected on basis of need, or how much of a sob story they have to tell? I felt that Kine’ really needed that surgery to make her more confident. Tammy, on the other hand had a lot of stuff done because she was a hard working stay-at-home Mom who had taken care of people all her life. So which is it?

They must also choose the recipients based on fast recovery and good health. I wonder if they would ever take on someone old and obese. I doubt it. They have to look good striding out from behind the curtain after 6 weeks.

One last question, what the hell is a "healthy organic meal?"

Thank you CG.

I think they choose the candidates based on whose life might be changed the most. I am sure there are many other contributing factors. They must have all kinds of guidlines to follow per the surgeons request. I am sure the most dramatic ones are considered over anyone else.

I do not think they would consider someone who is truely obese as the person has to make the effort to change first. I bet they would consider a person who has lost a lot of weight but can not get rid of the extra tummy skin and the like.

I think that a healthy organic meal consists of food that has no pesticides, preservatives or hormones. They are freshly prepared light foods that will benefit the body. If you can find it in a vending machine, it is probably not on the healthy organic list.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

LG.
    Wow, those are quite dramatic. Great recap, Feif, and thanks for including the pics, as it really demonstrates the differences.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

JR.
    Great job Feif!

Awesome job, Feifer! The before and after pics are amazing. I'm not sure I could do it.

great recap Feifer
    Bring on the Fab 5!

"I said walk, not march like a weird little troll!": Carson Kressley

"My ship works better when I kick it" Spike Spiegel(Cowboy Bebop)

Wow... I really thought this show would be lame, but after reading the 'cap I must admit it sounds pretty good!
    Still not sure if I could watch it...Thank goodness I can just come here for the scoop and before and after pics! Great job Feif... Thanks
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast