+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New US version of I'm a Celebrity contemplated

New US version of I'm a Celebrity contemplated

NBC eyeing 'I'm a Celebrity' revival

NBC eyeing 'I'm a Celebrity' revival
    Adaptation of British reality show previously aired on ABC
    By James Hibberd

Feb 25, 2009, 12:00 AM ET
    NBC is looking to adapt the hit British series "I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!"

The network is in negotiations with Granada America for another stateside reincarnation of the U.K. format, first tackled by ABC six years ago when it launched a short-lived U.S. version.

Details on the potential NBC version of "I'm a Celebrity" are still under wraps. The U.K. original has celebrities living in harsh tropical conditions and competing in challenges to earn rewards such as food and other basic comforts. One by one, the players are evicted.

NBC is said to be looking at a summer launch for the Granada-produced "I'm a Celebrity," which is expected to recieve an order for at least a dozen episodes. Sources said the network is considering running the show as a weekday strip the way it airs in the U.K.

The reality show is right in the wheelhouse of Brit Paul Telegdy, NBC's new president of alternative. The former head of BBC Worldwide Prods. was behind the U.S. adaptation of another U.K. reality hit with ABC's "Dancing With the Stars." At NBC, he recently greenlighted another U.K. format, the genealogy show "Who Do You Think You Are?"

ABC's 2003 version of "I'm a Celebrity" came in the wake of CBS' game-changing success with "Survivor." Comparisons between the two shows plagued the ABC launch, resulting in CBS filing an unsuccessful lawsuit claiming copyright infringement. Also, U.S. audiences back then were used to casts of relatable unknowns in broadcast reality competition series, which were emphasizing real-life intensity, while U.K. audiences already had embraced the lighter mixture of celebrities and reality contests with "Celebrity Big Brother."

Since then, "I'm a Celebrity" has spread internationally and remained one of the most popular reality shows in the U.K. Its most recent eighth season on ITV, which included Martina Navratilova and George Takei, delivered the franchise's highest ratings since 2005. Meanwhile, celebrity-stocked unscripted fare such as "Dancing With the Stars" and "Celebrity Apprentice" has gained widespread acceptance in the U.S.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Re: New US version of I'm a Celebrity contemplated

I would love if they would bring this back! I think it would be HILARIOUS to see someone like Jason Mewes on this show. That would be very entertaining.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Fogey

Re: New US version of I'm a Celebrity contemplated

I'd love for them to bring it back too. I was one of the few who LOVED it the first time around when ABC ran it. To me, it was such an interesting way to see celebrities more as they really are than as the "characters" they try to portray publicly. I remember a few of the conversations they had -- especially one where Melissa Rivers really opened up about her father's suicide -- that were the kind of thing you'd ONLY see with people who'd let all the walls down to show more of their true selves. I also remember watching it and hoping and hoping that it would lead to Melissa Rivers and Cris Judd hooking up.

+ Reply to Thread