+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: RuPaul's Drag Race (Mondays 9PM, Logo)

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo)

The mispronunciation by Willam of "Versace" was a joke. It's a sendup from a scene in "Showgirls" where Elizabeth Berkeley's character mispronounces it the same way. And making these kinds of pop culture references is prized in the drag queen world, if one is familiar with them. So I imagine Willam was commended for it from people in the know, and not ridiculed.
    MFWalkoff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    The mispronunciation by Willam of "Versace" was a joke. It's a sendup from a scene in "Showgirls" where Elizabeth Berkeley's character mispronounces it the same way. And making these kinds of pop culture references is prized in the drag queen world, if one is familiar with them. So I imagine Willam was commended for it from people in the know, and not ridiculed.
    Thanks for the fill-in. Never saw "Showgirls", and based on comments from people that I know who HAVE seen it, I've never broken an ankle to go running out to buy it, and most likely will never do so.

Good for Willam the name-dropper for knowing a pop-culture reference that he could drop right before he was placed on the grill.

Proves that he can do something besides drop his acting credits (and, usually, the correct names of the designers of whatever it is that he happens to be wearing at a particular moment) to anyone who will listen, I guess.

I really don't have to be "in the know" to know that from Day One, Willam was just almost totally unbearable to me with his holier-than-thou attitude, his: "I've been on this show . . . I shot that with him . . . I've got a band . . . I'm wearing Vivienne Westwood . . . This is Bob Mackie . . .", etc., etc.

Sure, you don't come on a competition show to make friends, obviously.

But when you're SO obnoxious that, apparently, quite a few, or most, of the other contestants seem to consistently have a problem with or dislike for you, (and heaven forbid we should mention any of those of us who actually watch this series and happen not to care for him, either), then something's wrong. And I don't think that what's wrong is with the other contestants, or a lot of US, the viewers, that just did not care for him, either.

And, lest we forget, by his own admission, he was a "$***-stirrer".

So, again, thanks for the fill-in. It's always good to learn.

But, while I may not be up on, or "familiar" with what is prized as a pop-culture reference in the drag queen world, I sure am knowledgeable about what series contestants I do and don't like, and for what reasons.

And, God bless him, I did not like Willam and am glad his obnoxious, insecure, $***-stirring, name-and-acting-credit-dropping, pop-culture-sendup-dropping behind is gone.
    Last edited by ness; 03-30-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Thanks for the fill-in. Never saw "Showgirls", and based on comments from people that I know who HAVE seen it, I've never broken an ankle to go running out to buy it, and most likely will never do so.

Good for Willam the name-dropper for knowing a pop-culture reference that he could drop right before he was placed on the grill.

Proves that he can do something besides drop his acting credits (and, usually, the correct names of the designers of whatever it is that he happens to be wearing at a particular moment) to anyone who will listen, I guess.

I really don't have to be "in the know" to know that from Day One, Willam was just almost totally unbearable to me with his holier-than-thou attitude, his: "I've been on this show . . . I shot that with him . . . I've got a band . . . I'm wearing Vivienne Westwood . . . This is Bob Mackie . . .", etc., etc.

Sure, you don't come on a competition show to make friends, obviously.

But when you're SO obnoxious that, apparently, quite a few, or most, of the other contestants seem to consistently have a problem with or dislike for you, (and heaven forbid we should mention any of those of us who actually watch this series and happen not to care for him, either), then something's wrong. And I don't think that what's wrong is with the other contestants, or a lot of US, the viewers, that just did not care for him, either.

And, lest we forget, by his own admission, he was a "$***-stirrer".

So, again, thanks for the fill-in. It's always good to learn.

But, while I may not be up on, or "familiar" with what is prized as a pop-culture reference in the drag queen world, I sure am knowledgeable about what series contestants I do and don't like, and for what reasons.

And, God bless him, I did not like Willam and am glad his obnoxious, insecure, $***-stirring, name-and-acting-credit-dropping, pop-culture-sendup-dropping behind is gone.
    Happy to oblige. I think most agree that Showgirls sucked, but it apparently has a bit of a cult following in the gay/drag community specifically for its awfulness.

I wouldn't surmise that Willam was so disliked by all the other queens (except Phi Phi, who I suspect was largely jealous) based on an edited show; I'll wait to see what they say at the reunion before I jump to that conclusion. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it was obvious to me that his so called "obnoxiousness" is part of his "schtick". And based on twitter followings, and what I've read on other boards, I'd say he was one of the more popular queens on the show, and considered to be one of the more talented ones, which is why many viewers (but not you, obviously) are sorry he's gone. But to each their own.

Well the queen who came back was...Kenya. Which was kind of a waste (just like Carmen Carrera last year), because the queen who went right back out again was...Kenya!

I was really worried for Sharon and Latrice, because they both did just as badly as Kenya with their "Daddies turned Baby Mamas". It was almost better that Latrice went up against Kenya, because nobody beats Latrice at lip synch. (the fact that it was Aretha Franklin probably helped too). It was over in the first 5 seconds, when Kenya started leaping and twirling all over the stage, while Latrice just stood in one place and worked that song.

Phi Phi won again, blah blah blah. She got lucky with a daddy who was basically her straight twin. She better not win, I've already gone 2 for 3 seasons where I wasn't happy with the winner.
    ness likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

On one hand, I love the "dress a random guy up in drag" challenge each season, because it's so entertaining (and often touching) to see the interaction between them and the queens, but on the other hand, I hate it because the queens don't end up on an even playing field for it, as some guys are much more physically "workable", some are more "talented", and some have better attitudes, while at least one always ends up being a "dud" in all areas (such as Sharon's guy this season, and Raja's last season). I knew as soon as Kenya won the mini challenge, that she was going to assign the two "cutest" guys to herself and her friend, Phi Phi, and that the other girls were probably screwed. I will say that Phi did a decent job (although like Alexis last season, she started with a distinct advantage), while Kenya really deserved to go home for doing little with somebody who she not only got to pick, but seemed to have potential. I'm not sure if it was the language barrier, or the fact that she was crushing on the guy too much to concentrate on the task, but she really tanked it. And I am glad that they didn't put Sharon in the bottom 2, because I thought she did as well as anyone could have with that nasty dude. A sandblaster couldn't have made that face "pretty"! And I'm also pretty sure the guy, Mike, is a fameho who has also appeared on Millionaire Matchmaker or some other reality show.

I was hoping Kenya would come back. But hate that she's gone already...again. Ugh!

P.S. I don't know when it starts, but I already can't wait for Drag Race All-Stars. Yes!!

‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Renewed For Season 5

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 7:35am PDT

Logo has renewed its flagship series, RuPaul’s Drag Race, for a fifth season. Auditions are already under way for a premiere in early 2013. The current season of the reality series posted the most watched series premiere in Logo’s history with nearly one million viewers. “I live for drag and to witness the excitement surrounding the success of our show, takes my breath away!,” RuPaul said. RuPaul’s Drag Race is produced by World of Wonder Prods., with Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato, Tom Campbell and RuPaul Charles executive producing.
    I assume this is different from the "all-stars" season that they announced on Facebook...maybe All-Stars will air this fall in place of another season of Drag U?
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

welll....hmmm.... final 3 is Chad Michaels, Sharon Needles, and omg, Phi Phi.

Sorry to see Latrice go, but I guess she didn't have the runway presence Ru (and Santino!) wanted. But what a gentle, lovely soul.

On the other hand, if Phi Phi wins, what does that say? A vicious, vindictive BITCH is the best they could do? I just get this horrible crawly feeling whenever it's on stage.

I would love for Chad to win, but I don't think Ru believes her to be "edgy" enough (whatever the hell that means). I think she's gorgeous, elegant and classy. Phi Phi take notes please.

Sharon is fun, but too one-note. But she'll probably win, Ru seems to love her. Not sure the Absolut guy does though! And they're huge sponsors! LOL
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I assume this is different from the "all-stars" season that they announced on Facebook...maybe All-Stars will air this fall in place of another season of Drag U?
    You are correct. I've read that All-Stars will be a shorter season airing this fall and then season 5 will be a regular season starting in January, as per usual. I can't wait for All-Stars!

This is the second week where I've found the new episode leaked online a day early.

DO I WATCH IT? Hmm... (yeah I'm gonna but I won't spoil, lol)
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread