+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: RuPaul's Drag Race (Mondays 9PM, Logo)

FORT Fogey

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo-VH1)

Wow! I am 3 for 3! Bebe, Tyra, and now Raja! I know that many don't like Tyra but she embodies the ball culture/drag family culture. It is still an underground culture so I am not surprised that a lot of fans of this show aren't excited by it. I am though!
    I love that the 3 winners are all so different! I could tell the judges were split between Raja and Manila. Alexis did the best in the music video but I think it was obvious that she only made it to the top 3 because Yara gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe View Post
    Wow! I am 3 for 3! Bebe, Tyra, and now Raja! I know that many don't like Tyra but she embodies the ball culture/drag family culture. It is still an underground culture so I am not surprised that a lot of fans of this show aren't excited by it. I am though!
    I love that the 3 winners are all so different! I could tell the judges were split between Raja and Manila. Alexis did the best in the music video but I think it was obvious that she only made it to the top 3 because Yara gave up.
    I wasn't fond of Tyra not because of her style, but it was an entitled feeling that she embodied - like she was going to win this title, and a lot of times I felt she was coasting. At least with Raja I felt like she really wanted it, but worked hard to prove it, and was more creative on a lot of things. Sometimes Tyra was a bit stagnant in design.

While I loved Alexis, I can see your point in she probably lucked out over Yara, who had a slight edge over Alexis before the break down. That said, I was impressed with how she took that and worked hard in the video - both she and Manila looked like the Grecian goddesses they were supposed to invoke more than Raja (who was not bad but it just felt odd. The salsa dancing though I had to chuckle about - that wasn't Olympic, though very well done.

One thing with Manila I had to laugh at and sympathize with - WHY the discus? The thing weighs about 2 pounds, and she couldn't toss it even if she knew how to throw it properly. Took me a year alone how to twirl with it and look graceful, and I actually competed in the thing (hated it too, but our team was so small I was put into it so we had more events). Even posing like a statue with it properly is a challenge. I'd probably done the service type joke with it for this. One interesting thing - I noticed that in both male and female forms she tended to keep the blond streak and dark hair in the styling.

Raja - I already mentioned the tatoos, but she cannot be blonde. A honey blonde might've worked better there. As far as styling, while I didn't like her final outfit for the runway (even if it is showgirl and the victor/victoria look), she did have a good design overall.

Oh my! Shangela is the queen that won't quit! She's snagged herself a nice TV role that even Raja would covet:

'Community' scoop: 'RuPaul's Drag Race' star Shangela, a.k.a. D.J. Pierce, to guest star

by Tanner Stransky
    Sep 16 2011 06:30 PM ET

RuPaul’s Drag Race fave Shangela is headed back to TV! EW has exclusively learned that Shangela — also known by her out-of-drag name D.J. Pierce — just wrapped a small, but important, guest spot on an upcoming episode of NBC’s comedy Community.

The episode, currently slated to air Nov. 3, finds Pierce playing a drag character, Miss Urbana Champaign, that makes a gut-busting viral video praising the use of Pierce’s (Chevy Chase) Hawthorne Wipes in a way that is not exactly how they were originally intended to be used. The video leads to the wipes gaining iconic status and propels Chase’s Pierce to throw a big party — that is, until his father Cornelius Hawthorne (Larry Cedar) shuts it down.

So just what is D.J. Pierce’s character’s scandalous use for the wipes? We can’t say exactly. But considering that Pierce is a drag queen in real life and considering that does indeed influence his role in the episode, there are just so many possibilities, right? Just think about it a little bit, people!

For his part, the fan-favorite Pierce couldn’t be happier to have done the spot on Community. “It’s a real honor and dream come true for me to be part of something as awesome as NBC’s Community, working with such comic legends as John Goodman and Chevy Chase,” D.J. Pierce told EW. “All I can say is halleloo!”

This latest casting only extends the relationship Pierce seems to be developing with NBC, as last spring he was cast in the network’s pilot for Don Johnson’s drama A Mann’s World, which was not picked up during this past development season. Pierce has also been cast in the pilot for HBO’s comedy Spring/Fall alongside Sigourney Weaver and Téa Leoni and recently appeared on Lifetime’s Dance Moms, teaching little girls how to do the “death drop.”
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

I came here to post that I saw JuJuBee at the Atlanta Gay Pride Parade. I didn't realize it was her until her float went right on by me. So I chased it down the street to take pictures. It was totally a "groupie" moment. LOL!! BeBe Zahara, the season 1 winner, was also in the parade and I got good pics of her too.

I knew someone here would appreciate my joy as my husband thinks I'm totally crazy. LOL!
    Allie and MFWalkoff like this.

Season 4 premieres tomorrow night! 9PM ET on Logo. There are sneak peak videos and cast bios at their website:

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 4 | Video Clips, Watch Full Episodes Online

Logo has been running a marathon of the first three seasons all weekend, with some "Drag U" episodes for filler in the mornings. They're deep into season 3 right now, which runs until midnight, and then some more Drag U's till dawn. Then at 10AM, they'll start replaying the second half of season 3 up until 9PM, when season 4 premieres.

I checked the listings for the next week or two and I didn't see any repeat on VH-1. I hope the show gets a second airing on some basic channel. It really is one of the better reality shows on TV right now.
    AmyKay likes this.

All I can say about this cast is Yikes. They have really bad promo photos on the main site. A couple just look like me with wigs on, and some don't even have fancy pants names. Even Raja could pass off as a woman quite easily compared to several in this cast from the photos.

Makes me wonder if any were hired just for filler or the like.

Yeah, from the clips I've seen, we're in for some rough trade this time. I just hope it doesn't spiral out of Ru's control. Normally he doesn't put up with too much real conflict between the girls.

I can't wait for the new season! I feel like I've been waiting forever.
    And I actually prefer some of the harder/scarier looking drag queens to the Carmen Carrera's and Tatiana's of the show. For me drag isn't about looking like a real woman.

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now View Post
    I can't wait for the new season! I feel like I've been waiting forever.
    And I actually prefer some of the harder/scarier looking drag queens to the Carmen Carrera's and Tatiana's of the show. For me drag isn't about looking like a real woman.
    I can see your point, and some of my favorites from previous seasons weren't drop dead gorgeous in drag (i.e. Pandora Boxx, who was cute but not by far no Carmen Carrera.)

That said... some of the drag queens this season don't feel like they're trying to have a bit of androgeny with them either... hopefully there I'm wrong though. (By androgeny, someone like the Princess in the upcoming season - I did have to do a double take there for a moment).

Loved the premiere, although I am concerned that every show is going to be nothing but meanness and fights. I thought last year was bad with the Heathers and the Boogers, but these new queens are vicious.

They seem to be setting up a war between Willem and Phi Phi. Willem can be thoughtless, but overall I prefer her to Phi Phi, who just seems to be mean all the time. It's a pity, because out of drag, I think Phi Phi is kind of cute.

Loved seeing all the former contestants taking part as zombies in the first challenge -- it was very 'Project Runway'. And I love how they are milking the "Shangela's back!" joke like a holiday tradition.

This may be an ugly season, but I'm so glad the show is back.

+ Reply to Thread