+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: RuPaul's Drag Race (Mondays 9PM, Logo)

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo-VH1)

Why did Ru bring someone back?

It was a standard reality show gimmick that she threw out there at the end of last week's episode: she made a speech about being accused of sending home too many worthy competitors (meaning Shangela was perceived as her personal pet all season). Allegedly, it was the other judges who decided to bring back Carmen, not Ru, but I'm officially dubious about the way this whole season was cast, and the way it's unfolding. Maybe if there were some better queens in the running I'd be less cynical, because I've defended this show's "integrity" during its first two seasons.

I find it funny that Ru would make that speech while the season was still taping, as if she could predict the audience's reaction to how the eliminations were going. It's just odd.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Ė Abraham Lincoln

I agree with the decision to resend Carmen Carerra home. She only made herself look good, not her "sister." I do agree that Manila chose well though on choosing partners.

The winning duo was well deserved - I think Alexis Mateo's? - the teammate looked elegant, was the most changed of the jocks, and they worked SO well together.

Manila's team was also very well conceived. I think what harmed her was the over the top (at least judge's eyes) cheer sketch and having the straight half wear such a "revealing" sheer top. Acting wise they could pass off as sisters though, as could Yara Sofia's duo.

But I have to say Carmen was not the person I'd returned. If they were serious in giving another queen a chance, it should've been Delta Work, who really did try her hardest to continue in this show and was eliminated in a true "lip sync for their life."

Choosing Carmen they were saying that the final four were going to pretty much stay the same and they wanted to see if it made them work harder.

Agreed with Raja being in the bottom two this go - bad costume ideas (I didn't mind the "sister's" styling mind you, but should've had a black skirt, not leopard top to bottom). She did however, play up to Carmen's shenanigans to outshine her and did improv to her benefit, so I can see why she'd stayed safe anyway. I do agree however that I do not see Raja as the whole package of what a drag queen is.

(BTW - I hate to nitpick to the contestants, but there are straight guys who also do drag in shows and the like for the money. It's not a gay-only area.)

FORT Fogey

Raja is my favorite! I've been a Sutan fan for years! I'm glad she is still in it. I'm not really a fan of the manorexia though but she is fierce and talented and beautiful!
    About some of these spoilers that Ru knows one of the contestants: Duh! The drag queen circle isn't a big one. There are only so many queens and they perform at the same places. Most of the drag queens on the show know someone else competing on the show.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by its_glinda_now View Post
    I really like her, too! She gave a fantastic lip-synch performance this week, one of the best I've seen on the show. And I just love her quirky-ness and her fun spirit.
    I'm so impressed by Alexis Mateo, too! She is definitely my favorite. I'll be so disappointed if she doesn't win. She's certainly talented, and it's interesting how she looks good as either a man or a woman! (Many of the contestants, past and present, don't look good as either men or women!) I just love her eyes, and her personality is endearing.

I guess it would be okay if Raja (the apparent front-runner) or Manila Luzon wins, but I find them to be a bit obnoxious. Their whole "heathers" vs. "boogers" thing is just too much - too "mean girls." It would be great if they could get their comeuppance from one of the so-called "boogers" like Alexis Mateo or Yara Sofia.

I happened to notice that the "heathers" and "boogers" groups unfortunately has fallen along racial lines - though hopefully that's unintended. The self-proclaimed "heathers" are all Asian, white, or white-looking Hispanics; the ones they've called "boogers" are all somewhat darker-skinned Hispanics and African-Americans. Which reminds me - I kind of miss Shangela on the show. She definitely has personality and talent.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesJune View Post
    I guess it would be okay if Raja (the apparent front-runner) or Manila Luzon wins, but I find them to be a bit obnoxious. Their whole "heathers" vs. "boogers" thing is just too much - too "mean girls." It would be great if they could get their comeuppance from one of the so-called "boogers" like Alexis Mateo or Yara Sofia.

I happened to notice that the "heathers" and "boogers" groups unfortunately has fallen along racial lines - though hopefully that's unintended. The self-proclaimed "heathers" are all Asian, white, or white-looking Hispanics; the ones they've called "boogers" are all somewhat darker-skinned Hispanics and African-Americans. Which reminds me - I kind of miss Shangela on the show. She definitely has personality and talent.
    Actually much of the mean girls "Heathers" is for tv. I have followed Raja for a couple of years and also on Twitter as Sutan and she is actually loved and admired in the business and in her personal life and she is not at all mean.

These are a few Q & A from a recent interview with Raja by Pollo Del Mar (and good friend of Shangela) in the San Francisco Bay Times:

"This season is all Raja vs. Shangela. How much of that rivalry really exists?

Iíd say itís probably 55-percent true. I donít think itís as crazy as people think. Itís not like we hate each other or have any kind of animosity or hatred.

It was within the confines of a contest. At least thatís how Iím looking at it. I really donít know what itís like on her end. If I just sat there and was so diplomatic and easy about everythingÖ Nobody is going to want to see that."

"What are we not seeing? What have the editors left out?

(Laughing.) At the end of the day, we all went to the same place to go to sleep. We all rode together in one van. We all had our dinners after the show together. There was a camaraderie even among all the tension. Itís not like we went back to the same place and hated each other. We all kind of got along, I think. I just didnít really buy into the anger and negativity of the competition. When the day was over, the day was over.

I donít think people really get to see some of the poignant moments together. You know, Stacy Layne and I still text each other. People have formed this opinion I hate fat people. Itís like, ďWhat do you mean? Deltaís my best friend.Ē Itís just crazy what people have to say, but they never got to see the parts where we got to know each other.

I think they should see more of that, but it is only an hour show. Thereís much more fun drama to watch, so letís watch that!"

"If you see people fighting, itís a lot more fun to watch. Iím actually really enjoying it! I love watching the arguments between Shangela and me, because itís fun. Itís not what Iím really like. I donít argue with people like that! I spend a lot of time alone. The anger you see is having people piled on top of me when Iím actually a very chill person."

"Come on now, Raja! Team Heathers Ė the four of you Ė set yourselves apart as better than everyone else. Maybe for you it was just a joke, but what about all those people who remember Ďmean girlsí like that in high school?! Thatís what the ĎHeathersí thing brings up for me. It doesnít say youíll be warm and engaging, as you turned out to be.

Yeah, but you know what? People who become fans of the Heathers get the joke. We donít mean it in a literal sense. You can pick apart the movie Heathers, and it doesnít really make sense for our personalities. Weíre just pretending to be like Mean Girls. Címon, gay people love those stories.

Why canít we add those elements to our storylines? Itís just fun. Itís interesting. People really jumped onto it. I get Tweets all the time like, ďMy friend and I call each other ĎHeather.íĒ Itís sweet. I think thatís fun. Itís a joke. The whole thing can be looked at as a joke really. Weíre just dudes in womenís clothes. Itís a competition, though. Itís not meant to be taken literally."

The entire article is here San Francisco Bay Times

Since I am a Raja fan and know how kind and funny she is in real life I can enjoy the interchange in the show without taking it seriously. However, I can say if I did not know this about Raja already I might not be Team Raja at all..so I do understand how a viewer can be taken in by all the conflict and not like her so much.

FORT Fogey

I'm not much of a fan of Manila. I don't like her makeup. It looks cakey. She makes fabulous outfits though and she is always in character. I doubt that the Heathers were drawn together by their race. After all, Manila's boyfriend is Sahara Davenport from last season. Sahara is black. The Heathers just see themselves as the cream of the crop and seem to have a lot in common also.
    I wanted Yara to stay over Alexis. She was innovative and funny. Alexis is sort of bland to me. I do like her though. But her body never looks good and I think it is because of the padding. She looks like a big girl even though she is not. And she is also really old-fashioned. Manila and Raja are so much better.
    Raja is probably the most unique one left. She doesn't pad as much as other queens do because she is a fashion model. Models would never pad! She reminds me of Raven from last season. Also, her deviation from the standard drag queen reminds me of Ongina from season 1. I think she is the best of the ones left and I think she would be a great winner. Front-runners rarely ever win reality shows though. If I had to guess at who the winner will be, I think it will be Manila. The judges have never really called her out for her bad makeup or anything else. I think they must really like her. She is also really funny and Asian drag queens have been fan favorites the other 2 seasons.

It's a fairly predictable final three, no big surprises. I was almost expecting Yara to pull through this week instead of Alexis.

Although Yara and Alexis didn't spell it out (or the editing prevented them from spelling it out), I think they were talking about being ghettoized and dismissed specifically for being Puerto Rican. But it's hard to know what's in the hearts of these judges and the other queens, especially the way that race and ethnicity have been batted about this season. But it does cast an extra layer of darkness on the whole Heathers/Boogers dynamic.

I thought it was really disingenuous of Raja to suddenly start wishing that she had gotten to know Yara and Alexis better. Well dear, that's what happens when you divide and conquer, and dismiss half your competition as Boogers in their own ghetto, even if you claim it was all in fun. Joke or not, it's clear that it affected the relationships in the cast.

I'd be okay with Alexis or Manila winning. But Raja still bugs me.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Ė Abraham Lincoln

I have to admit I was sad to see Yara go, but was not surprised because she totally broke down and stripped for a song that was really not necessary. Frankly, I've been rather disappointed that a lot of these queens have resorted to stripping in order to try and curry favor in the lipsync for their life. I could understand if the song chosen was one they had to strip in order to dance to (i.e. had the song this case been fast and they were in couture dresses), but this case it was slow.

I like Alexis, but I can safely say that her swimsuit was not the best nor her after five look. And I agree that she had too much padding on. She's not rail thin, but a beautiful thin that gets hurt when she does too much padding like this. Her couture was rather pretty though.

Manila's hair... I have to think "How did it stay on?" given how big and lilting it was. Overall Manila had the best looks.

Raja's overall looks were OK, but even she suffered this go. She was lucky that Yara and Alexis had more weaker looks. That said, I'm glad she wasn't in the bottom with either Yara or Alexis - as it'd been pretty obvious who'd won the singoff that go.

Out of the final three, I'll be OK with any winning, but I find Manila and Alexis more entertaining overall. Raja seems to be more of a fashion plate than a well-rounded queen. (I also didn't like her comment about getting gastric bypass surgery - even if in jest, that is not a funny comment because she's already a bit thin as it is).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Raja seems to be more of a fashion plate than a well-rounded queen. (I also didn't like her comment about getting gastric bypass surgery - even if in jest, that is not a funny comment because she's already a bit thin as it is).
    That is the character. Raja is a model. That's why she wants to be even thinner than she already is. It is sort of the opposite of all the fat queens wanting more food.

+ Reply to Thread