+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: RuPaul's Drag Race (Mondays 9PM, Logo)

FORT Fogey

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo-VH1)

Bebe from last season recently put out a video for her new single. I forgot what it is called but it is so fabulous! She probably wouldn't have been able to do it if she hadn't won. So I think she's able to be a bigger star than before.

Tyra says she's from the House of Mizrahi. And she said her "family" calls itself Sanchez. I am actually pretty happy that the winner is involved in the ballroom culture because that seems to be a trend right now. Perhaps Tyra can ride on that trend. Isis King, the transexual woman from top model, was from the house of Tsunami and her friends called her Isis Tsunami. Vogue Evolution from America's Best Dance Crew is from the ballroom culture as well. And then there is Benny Ninja from the House of Ninja who was a coach on top model.
    I think Tyra is on trend and has the potential to represent that burgeoning culture.

I do think Tyra has a good chance, but she will have to face a few challenges I think because right now she is a tad too dry and one note - not bad, but a bit.

I really think she could expand the role into a fun aspect of it, such as "Dynasty" or overplaying a little bit of the ballroom aspect instead of being too serious in it.

That said - I do think she has some of the best costumes out there. Pandora's from the reunion show will be my favorite fashion because she was really creative with it, but Tyra did have quite a few looks that did work.

old cow

What do you guys mean by ballroom culture? Is Tyra gonna take on a ballroom dancer sort of persona?

Tyra says she's from the House of Mizrahi. And she said her "family" calls itself Sanchez.
    House? Family? Sorry to sound so dumb but before this show began the only thing I knew about drag queens was that they were men that tried to look like women. *sheepish grin*

There's a great 1990 documentary film called Paris Is Burning that lays out the entire landscape of the drag ball scene. Not only will it explain all these terms, but it will show you where Madonna got all her ideas and moves for the song/video Vogue. It's available at Netflix (but not for instant viewing, unfortunately).
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

yes! paris is burning is a GREAT way to get acquainted w the ball scene. they also play it on the logo channel pretty often.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3890889;
    There's a great 1990 documentary film called Paris Is Burning that lays out the entire landscape of the drag ball scene. Not only will it explain all these terms, but it will show you where Madonna got all her ideas and moves for the song/video Vogue. It's available at Netflix (but not for instant viewing, unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3889537;
    I double-checked, and it's actually Nicole Paige Brooks who has a son, Gavin Kivinen, according to her Facebook page. But she was gone so quick it's easy to forget her details...
    whoops, sorry about that, I would've bet money for some reason that it was Sahara

Can't wait for Drag U - so many of my faves.

I need to watch Paris is Burning also - sounds very cool.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

old cow

RuPaul's Drag U (Logo TV)

RuPaul and your favorite queens are back! The Dean of Drag has finally opened her "school for girls!" at RuPaul's Drag U, where biological women (the kind who don't have to tuck) undergo extreme transformations...drag queen style. Our pupils are frumpy, shy and anything but self-confident; but with the insight and instruction of beloved Drag Race alums, our once demure dames unleash their inner Divas and perform a musical number in front of a live audience that includes their loved ones. Only one woman can be valedictorian of her class, but all drag-uate with sass, self-respect, and the sense that anything is possible. Watch your favorite queens bring fabulousness to the ladies in this hysterical spin-off from RuPaul's Drag Race creators World of Wonder.
    So is anyone watching this show? It premiered Monday, July 19th at 9pm.

I watched the first episode and I enjoyed it but had some issues with it as well. First you only get to see 3 queens at a time which means some of the weeks will be better than others. And the grading of the ladies at the end seemed kinda mean for women with self esteem issues. The way the show is edited made it seemed a bit rushed. And i have no love for Raven so seeing her again just irritates me to no end.

But other than that I liked it. The campy, over-the-top girly visuals were fun and its always nice seeing Juju and Ongina in anything.

What did you guys think of it? If you don't get the Logo channel, its available to watch on the logo website for free. Unfortunatly it doesn't look like VH1 is gonna carry this

Official Page at LogoTV.com
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 07-24-2010 at 02:43 AM.

Re: RuPaul's Drag U (Logo TV)

I'm watching it. I was skeptical at first, because the bits between the drag divas are more scripted. and none of them ever claimed to be good actors (actresses?).

The show's heart is in the right place. But Ru needs to sit the women down at the end and make the point that after going through this hyper-extreme process, the point is to be happy with themselves, and that it's okay to be more in control of their own self-image. It seemed like that message needs to be made more clear, otherwise some episodes will run the risk of seeming cruel to the women if things don't work out as well as they did in the premiere.

I like Raven. But Jujube and Ongina totally rock! Why Tammy Michaels was brought back is a mystery to me -- she was just plain scary. But I'm going to keep watching this one.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

old cow

Why Tammy Michaels was brought back is a mystery to me -- she was just plain scary.
    Do you mean Tammie Brown or Morgan McMichaels? Both are kinda scary queens but Im gonna guess you mean Tammie b/c she seems to specialize in the creepy Joan Crawford Mommy Dearest kinda creepy. I don't know how she'll do in instructing the ladies transformations but it will be fun to see. I always kinda liked her.

I agree with everything else you say and guess what, Joel McHale from the Soup is covering/commenting on this show. Funny as usual! He ripped on the overall asthetic of the school

Man, they love using Raven! 2 weeks in a row...

I'm still enjoying the show, but it seems to lean right on the edge of the cliff between a show with heart, and a show that might make fun of its contestants at any moment. Ultimately it is a show with heart, but it's more complicated than Drag Race, which is looser and is supposed to be played more for camp and bitchiness. Still enjoying it, though...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread