+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: RuPaul's Drag Race (Mondays 9PM, Logo)

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo-VH1)

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3887504;
    I only saw the last 3 episodes, but of those I liked the blonde best. Once she was booted, I did not like Raven or Jujube but definitely thought either of them was better than Tyra. Until the last lipsync, which Tyra did better than Raven, I did not think she was an actual contender. If Raqven did not let herself be pushed aside and overshadowed then and in the "cat fight" dance, she might have had a chance.
    My favorites were Pandora (whom I'm thinking you're referring to as the blonde) and Jessica Wild myself. And - this says a lot about both Ru and Jessica, it took a lot of balls for Jessica to impersonate RuPaul on the "Snatch Game" and Ru not be upset with it.

My main comment about the finale, however, is not about the contestants but about the fact that 80s clothes were NEVER about a "tiny waist." Those ugly shoulder pad outfits were all so boxy and unflattering. It is more expensive to manufacture items with a waist, and they didn't ever do it. Think sack dresses with shoulder pads, yuck! (and later, harem pants, just as unflattering.) It wasn't until much later with the British version of What Not to Wear that there was ever even consciousness that those boxy shapes were not woman-friendly. The truth is the 80s style was androgynous. Whoever was trying to define the 80s style for the younger contestants got it wrong, wrong, wrong. Raven totally got it right, including the hair. Remember all the tragic perms? Too bad 80s style is coming back; it was hideous. Hopefully women will refuse to buy it.
    Sheesh - they could've watched "Dynasty" to get a good idea of what '80s attire was - casual and dressy.

Then there's (I think) leg warmers, stirrup pants, jelly shoes and bracelets (which I have seen a lot of lately) the big hair as you mention, apparently white eyeshadow (if Pamela Bellwood's overuse of it as Claudia says anything), punk styles, etc. It was a weird era for clothing.

FORT Fogey

The Reunion was interesting.
    Tyra was being extra careful. She had no bones to pick with anyone because she beat them all! lol! She seems calmer since the competition is over! I am so happy that things are working out with her son. I loved her boob illusion.
    Mystique looked great!
    Sonique looked amazing. I thought she looked the most improved. She's on female hormones and that's probably why. But I think it is great that she was able to make such a big decision. I'm glad she can be happy now. I wonder what her career will be like now.
    I love T-A-T-I but that wig was not cute. It made her ear look strange. I just knew she would be the one who caused problems at the reunion. She loves drama! I just wish the drama came out more in her look and performances.
    I didn't like Raven's contacts. It made her look too much like Shanelle (?) from last season. Or am I thinking of Nina Flowers? She didn't look enough like herself!
    Shangela seemed nice. I wish she got to stay longer so we could get to know her better. Her makeup looked way better last night. Did she do it herself or did someone do it for her? Hallelu!
    I wish Juju won the congeniality award but Pandora was the obvious. I think her dress was cute. I just wish she could find a way to look more like a woman in her clothes.

Aack. Tyra has nooo personality! How'd she pull it off?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

My guess is that she performs well. The judges don't judge based on what goes on behind the scenes, the little challenges, or the confessional quips. If they did, Juju probably would have won. She's funny!
    We see things that aren't part of the competition. Tyra dominated in the stuff that was actually judged even if she wasn't always "switched on."

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3888176;
    The Reunion was interesting.
    Tyra was being extra careful. She had no bones to pick with anyone because she beat them all! lol! She seems calmer since the competition is over! I am so happy that things are working out with her son. I loved her boob illusion.
    I think she put Ricardo Montelban as Khan's chest in "Wrath of Khan" to shame. How she did it (and yes, I know a stylist could be the case), I don't know, but it worked.

Mystique looked great!
    Sonique looked amazing. I thought she looked the most improved. She's on female hormones and that's probably why. But I think it is great that she was able to make such a big decision. I'm glad she can be happy now. I wonder what her career will be like now.
    I agree - I think I'd liked Mystique more had she done her makeup a little bit better, she looks more feminine.

Sonique I have to admit I didn't really know well watching her (I kept getting her confused with a couple of the other queens). That said, I'm glad she was able to make a decision to make herself better long term.

I love T-A-T-I but that wig was not cute. It made her ear look strange. I just knew she would be the one who caused problems at the reunion. She loves drama! I just wish the drama came out more in her look and performances.
    I do think she took things maybe a bit too personally, but that said, she is a funny drag queen. Her Britney Spears is one of the best I've seen.

I didn't like Raven's contacts. It made her look too much like Shanelle (?) from last season. Or am I thinking of Nina Flowers? She didn't look enough like herself!
    Raven probably was the one that didn't really look like herself. That said, the wig she chose was a better choice than the Morticia Addams wig.

I wish Juju won the congeniality award but Pandora was the obvious. I think her dress was cute. I just wish she could find a way to look more like a woman in her clothes.
    I think what harmed Juju was she was in the final three and a lot of people thought she had a fighting chance at the title. That said, I'm glad Pandora got it because she constantly got second or third a few times so it was nice - just like Susan Lucci - to win an award. (Oddly, it sure felt a lot like it too given how long it took. )

Out of all the outfits, I do think Pandora's was the cutest in the reunion. It had several things that made me go "Oh! her hat is a wheel with ribbon," and "Oh, there's cars in the design of the dress" and "The necklace is hubcaps and steering wheels" (at least what I was seeing in the design. ) She might not always had the fashion sense on the show, but she did prove she could do it. I really think that her case the pressure of the show got to her long term and it combined with the Lucci complex ended up eliminating her at five.

My other choice out of those who were eliminated was Jessica Wild. Still get a chuckle out of her not understanding some of the innuendo (i.e. "hide the candy") in the behind the scenes stuff, but she did a good job in spite of it. And - she did win that rocker challenge.

This was a good reunion show - even with the hard drama in it, but they did a. know how to grow up and learn from their experience and b. had fun as well. It was a far cry from the "Project Runway" reunion this season on so many levels. They all are much more mature than several of the designers on that show - and for that, they're all winners IMHO.

Watching Tyra's winning moment again, it just strikes me that she was so selfish. Instead of congratulating Raven and celebrating together - it became this wallow of overreaction. I don't know, if I was Ru, would I want a winner who dragged off my wig when faced with surprises? Obviously Tyra will never be my fave, so onward.

Haven't seen the reunion show yet, looking forward to Pandora's win and Sonique's transformation - one of the underrated contestants I thought. If she had been a bit softer, she could have gone much farther.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3888402;
    Watching Tyra's winning moment again, it just strikes me that she was so selfish. Instead of congratulating Raven and celebrating together - it became this wallow of overreaction. I don't know, if I was Ru, would I want a winner who dragged off my wig when faced with surprises? Obviously Tyra will never be my fave, so onward.

Haven't seen the reunion show yet, looking forward to Pandora's win and Sonique's transformation - one of the underrated contestants I thought. If she had been a bit softer, she could have gone much farther.
    In all honesty, I do think Tyra's reaction was indeed genuine and she was hyperventilating. This win did give her some financial support that she needed to help her son, and apparently I do think she felt Raven would get it (She does say early on in the ep that had Juju not been there, it'd been Raven and Tyra competing), so that would be enough of a shock to win. In short, I have to say that if I was in his shoes - no job, his home is with his drag mother, having to do an added job of now taking care of his son, I'd probably react if I got enough money to make a start to help my child.

And, unfortunately, when you hyperventilate or have trouble breathing, you do what you can to get cooled down because the over breathing heats you up quickly. I'm asthmatic, and can vouch that by making yourself cooler you also breathe better. Tyra's case, taking offer her wig briefly did that (or she also could've been disorientated that it was affected.

I'm by no means saying that she was the best choice (I think Juju could've won this go but her being the bottom three did harm her), but I can see where she's coming from. And, she does congratulate Raven briefly, so there still is that done, unlike some other competitions.

I don't know how long or well she'll do, but if she can hone her bitchy attitude, I think she could rival Alexis Carrington or any of the other bitches of "Dynasty" - bitchy but funny. Right now she's too focused on being elegant and snooty instead of adding a little bit of fun.

old cow

I'm glad someone in the up thread mentioned Jessica Wild. Next to Pandy she was my fav! I loved her in the book competition (even though that was the ep. that got her eliminated) She was soooo funny trying to mention the vodka drink during the satellite interview--i still say she seemed a bit buzzed

Meh the more i think about it the more I'm ok with Tyra winning. I still would have liked Juju to win but Tyra is ok i guess. Yeah her deep voice is a bit distracting but I don't know that much about drag queens so i wonder if thats just part of their "act" is to simply have a male voice....

Oh and speaking of Tyra, i didnt watch the entire season so i missed the part where it was mentioned that he had a son. Is it an adopted son? Or his biologically? How old is he? He seems to be a bit young, thats why i was asking...

FORT Fogey

Tyra has a biological son. Someone else has a kid too. I forgot who. Tyra was born in 1988.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3888584;
    Tyra has a biological son. Someone else has a kid too. I forgot who. Tyra was born in 1988.
    oh ok, thanxs. WoW if he was born in 88' that means he would be 22 this year. And assuming this show was filmed in 2009--so he would have been 21 on the show......startin' out young. It doesnt say on their bio's what their b-day is? It would be fun to know their signs.

+ Reply to Thread