+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jockeys

Jockeys

I expect this show has a really small audience seeing that it is airing on Friday Nights on The Animal Planet. But, for anyone that has an interest in Horse Racing & the Jockeys that ride the horses I think you would like this show. It was filmed at Santa Anita just prior to & up through the Breeders Cup. Check it out.

FORT Regular

Re: Jockeys

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3310075;
    I expect this show has a really small audience seeing that it is airing on Friday Nights on The Animal Planet. But, for anyone that has an interest in Horse Racing & the Jockeys that ride the horses I think you would like this show. It was filmed at Santa Anita just prior to & up through the Breeders Cup. Check it out.
    I watched the first episode and it was VERY good. It follows a group of jockeys (maybe 6-8), some new comers, some old hands. Some who've never won a race and some who've won all the top races, etc. It is very interesting. Well worth a look see.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3310075;
    I expect this show has a really small audience ....
    Is that a pun?

I'm fairly ignorant about horse racing and I was confused by the money. They kept mentioning that by winning a race the jockey won X amount of money. Is that the money the jockey alone gets or does that go to the "team?" Isn't there a horse owner, trainer, etc.? Do they all split that or is the show just focused on what the jockeys make?

I didn't see the show, but in horse racing, the "purse' is the amount of money paid if a horse places in a race, and it's generally paid to the owner, who then pays the jockey, usually, a certain, agreed upon percentage out of it, in addition to whatever up front fee the jockey may or may not get. (In less-rich races, and for unproven jockeys, sometimes if they don't place, they don't get much of anything at all. )
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3311371;
    I didn't see the show, but in horse racing, the "purse' is the amount of money paid if a horse places in a race, and it's generally paid to the owner, who then pays the jockey, usually, a certain, agreed upon percentage out of it, in addition to whatever up front fee the jockey may or may not get. (In less-rich races, and for unproven jockeys, sometimes if they don't place, they don't get much of anything at all. )
    The Jockey also has to pay his riders agent a part of the winnings for getting him or her the horses.

FORT Fan

I'm loving this show, really excited about it. For years growing up I wanted to be a jockey, and thought I might actually have a shot at it until I turned 15 and started growing. So it's really fun for me to see a show about horse racing, especially today when the only thing most people know about is when a horse like Barbaro or Eight Belles dies.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I grew up around horses, since my grandfather was a thoroughbred trainer. As a teen, my mother was an exercise rider. I've had experiences on both sides of the track...the backside, and the grandstands (my other grandfather liked to get dressed up and enjoyed the sport of betting, and I used to get all dressed up and go to the track with him.). This arena has always fascinated me. Looking forward to checking out this show.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Newbie

Growing up in Kentucky I am very familiar with the race track and I think this show is really interesting, although the "drama" leading up kinda gives the outcome of the races away (Jockey on a slide, needing a win badly...wins, talking about injuries...boom someone falls)

The two new jocks got their first Santa Anita wins on the show this weekend. It's a tough business & even tougher in So. Cal.

FORT Regular

I love this show. I felt so bad for Brandon when his dad was out on a date instead of watching him win.

My farrier has race horses, and I hear a lot of from the horses' owner's POV from him. It's fun to see things from the jockeys' POV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast