+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jockeys

Re: Jockeys

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3385209;
    i saw the ads for the show and i have to admit i couldn't bring myself to watch it...i was so afraid of seeing a horse get hurt..I spend so much time resecuing animals that IDK I just couldn't watch..i hope it was enjoyable to those who did...i would like to hear more about the relationship between the 2 jockies if anyone wants to fill me in....I saw that much on the commericails..lol
    Seeing horses get hurt is probably the biggest drawback to the sport. But, in all honesty, it happens a lot less often than is portrayed. I have TVG on my satellite & it is live horse racing all day long every day. They start with thoroughbreds during the morning & afternoon from England & The US, move to trotters in the evening & go to Austrailia & Japan late at night & I hardly ever see a horse get injured. Now that's not saying it doesn't happen because obviously it does. But, these horses are so well taken care of & babyed all the time. If only I got such good treatment.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Exactly! As much time as I have spent around thoroughbreds, I have seldom seen them get injured but, like with every other walk of life, it does happen.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Remember Brandon Meier, the rookie that had to leave LA because he wasn't getting rides? Well, he is now in Illinois. He just won a race in a photo finish at Hawthorne Park. I think Kyla Stra is still in LA though.

Had to edit to say that Brandon is hot now. He just won his second race in a row on a 31 -1 shot coming from off the pace.
    Last edited by razorbacker; 03-30-2009 at 04:00 PM.

I don't want anyone to get mad at me, I respect everyones thoughts on this...I volunteer with The Humane Society and the statistical information gathered does not support the idea that race horses have a great life.
    According to 2007 stats (the last time complete stats on method of death were available) over 350 race horses were destroyed due to racing injuries in the U.S.
    Some Thoroughbred owners and other segments of the equine economy routinely churn out more horses than the current market can support—a stable, responsible secondary market does not exist. As a result, horses who do not live up to the industry stanard, those that under perform are sent to slaughterhouses.
    Horses can live to be 30 years old, but too many are bred for careers that last only four or five—or worse, have their lives snuffed out as soon as the verdict is made that they have no hope of becoming champions.
    Just as distressing is how some unscrupolous owners foist off their underperforming horses to naive new to the business horse enthusiasts who do not understand the sophisticated training methods race horses need in order to remain healthy.
    The Humane Society is currently working on an on going dialogue with the horse racing industry in order to bring effective and adequate change. For example, the leadership of the national governing body for equestrian sport, United States Equestrian Federation (USEF)—along with the United States Eventing Association (USEA)—has taken a long, hard look at recent equine fatalities and grave human injuries. They have acknowledged they have a serious problem that requires significant soul searching and immediate attention
    Some suggestions from The HUmane Societywould be to
    1)Up the racing age from two to four years.
    2)Changing all racing surfaces to synthetic,which is more forgiving.
    3)research into the correlation between genetics and the incidence of breakdowns leading to fatal injuries
    4) The creation of a National Racing Commission so there is one over-arching governing body responsible for the welfare of the animals and for setting a level playing field for the competitors.
    5) Address the overpopulation problems created by the industry, it should adopt voluntary limits on breeding. It should greatly increase funding to create more Thorougbred retraining and rescue centers, to provide retirees with a career and a future after their racing days are over.

The Humane Society home page can direct you to more info and to places in your area that are involved in all areas of racehorse (and wild horse/burro) rescue and reform.
    Once I witnessed a horse being `put down' because of a racing injury it changed me forever. When the light goes out of a living beings eyes, when that light is snuffed out...when the eyes go blank...
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3416685;
    I don't want anyone to get mad at me, I respect everyones thoughts on this...I volunteer with The Humane Society and the statistical information gathered does not support the idea that race horses have a great life.
    According to 2007 stats (the last time complete stats on method of death were available) over 350 race horses were destroyed due to racing injuries in the U.S.
    Some Thoroughbred owners and other segments of the equine economy routinely churn out more horses than the current market can support—a stable, responsible secondary market does not exist. As a result, horses who do not live up to the industry stanard, those that under perform are sent to slaughterhouses.
    Horses can live to be 30 years old, but too many are bred for careers that last only four or five—or worse, have their lives snuffed out as soon as the verdict is made that they have no hope of becoming champions.
    Just as distressing is how some unscrupolous owners foist off their underperforming horses to naive new to the business horse enthusiasts who do not understand the sophisticated training methods race horses need in order to remain healthy.
    The Humane Society is currently working on an on going dialogue with the horse racing industry in order to bring effective and adequate change. For example, the leadership of the national governing body for equestrian sport, United States Equestrian Federation (USEF)—along with the United States Eventing Association (USEA)—has taken a long, hard look at recent equine fatalities and grave human injuries. They have acknowledged they have a serious problem that requires significant soul searching and immediate attention
    Some suggestions from The HUmane Societywould be to
    1)Up the racing age from two to four years.
    2)Changing all racing surfaces to synthetic,which is more forgiving.
    3)research into the correlation between genetics and the incidence of breakdowns leading to fatal injuries
    4) The creation of a National Racing Commission so there is one over-arching governing body responsible for the welfare of the animals and for setting a level playing field for the competitors.
    5) Address the overpopulation problems created by the industry, it should adopt voluntary limits on breeding. It should greatly increase funding to create more Thorougbred retraining and rescue centers, to provide retirees with a career and a future after their racing days are over.

The Humane Society home page can direct you to more info and to places in your area that are involved in all areas of racehorse (and wild horse/burro) rescue and reform.
    Once I witnessed a horse being `put down' because of a racing injury it changed me forever. When the light goes out of a living beings eyes, when that light is snuffed out...when the eyes go blank...

i rescue animals and you have MY FULL SUPPORT...if I can help from GA let me know
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Everything AND everybody cannot/will not live forever; it just doesn't work that way. I want to see them treated humanely during their time on earth.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Joe Talamo had a mount in the Kentucky Derby (I was surprised). Unfortunately, that horse (I want Revenge) was scratched about an hour ago.

I watched "Ladies First: Bravo at the Kentucky Derby" last night. Calvin Borel rode a great race...was he or any other Louisianan's on the show?

I didn't watch any show, so I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3431981;
    I watched "Ladies First: Bravo at the Kentucky Derby" last night. Calvin Borel rode a great race...was he or any other Louisianan's on the show?
    Looks like he did it again! Amazing!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/sp...derby.html?hpw

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast