+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jockeys

FORT Newbie

Re: Jockeys

My husband was an asst trainer when we met. We had 2 thoroughbreds that we retired a few years ago. We LOVE this show. Our jockeys would earn 10% of what the owner won if he hit the boards. If he didn't, he got a flat fee of $65.

I've really enjoyed this program. I'm from Lexington, Kentucky, where horse racing is king. This show gives us an opportunity to take an entertaining look into the life of a jockey. They have to be very good athletes to do what they do day in and day out.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Unfortunately my DVR crapped out on me the last two weeks so I missed all those shows. Gahhh! Technology.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3362581;
    Unfortunately my DVR crapped out on me the last two weeks so I missed all those shows. Gahhh! Technology.
    They repeat them so you may be able to catch those episodes. I really like this show.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It IS a good show! It shows you just how dangerous this job can be, and it shows you the athleticism one must have to be successful in this profession. Those little bowties on all of the silks just kill me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've been watching this show since I've been stuck at home and I like it, but of course there has to be one major thing bugging me to death--why did the producers of this show feel it necessary to re-record their own version of the race being called--so the announcer is saying "Mike Smith is leading...Brandon (?) is in fourth place", when all of us that have ever been to a race know that when the race is being called, only the Horse's name is called. It does bug me, because I think I can pay enough attention to which jockey has on which color, and the horse's name, especially since they only focus on one or two out of the bunch.
    Prhoshay, I like the little ties too, as well as the colors on the silks. And the track stewards (people dressed in fox hunting attire out of the track for the un-initiated) outfits always remind me of when I used to show horses. I always wondered why on Earth we had to follow tradition to the point of wearing a suit jacket, uncomfortable blouse, and burning hot velvet hat in the English classes. If you think about it, that whole getup is so not practical for riding a horse!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3375023;
    I've been watching this show since I've been stuck at home and I like it, but of course there has to be one major thing bugging me to death--why did the producers of this show feel it necessary to re-record their own version of the race being called--so the announcer is saying "Mike Smith is leading...Brandon (?) is in fourth place", when all of us that have ever been to a race know that when the race is being called, only the Horse's name is called. It does bug me, because I think I can pay enough attention to which jockey has on which color, and the horse's name, especially since they only focus on one or two out of the bunch.
    Prhoshay, I like the little ties too, as well as the colors on the silks. And the track stewards (people dressed in fox hunting attire out of the track for the un-initiated) outfits always remind me of when I used to show horses. I always wondered why on Earth we had to follow tradition to the point of wearing a suit jacket, uncomfortable blouse, and burning hot velvet hat in the English classes. If you think about it, that whole getup is so not practical for riding a horse!
    That bugged me too but I guess that they had a contract with Trevor Denmon and he may not have been the caller at the Oak Tree meet so they dubbed the calls otherwise they probably would have also had to pay the actual caller.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

i saw the ads for the show and i have to admit i couldn't bring myself to watch it...i was so afraid of seeing a horse get hurt..I spend so much time resecuing animals that IDK I just couldn't watch..i hope it was enjoyable to those who did...i would like to hear more about the relationship between the 2 jockies if anyone wants to fill me in....I saw that much on the commericails..lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

This show is now filming a second season, in process during the meet at Santa Anita.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Love, love, love this show!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast