+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last Restaurant Standing

Last Restaurant Standing

I was surprised to not find a thread on this show on BBC America. Is anybody else watching it?

Don't want to talk to myself if nobody is after all.

BBC America - Last Restaurant Standing

( I searched for a thread before posting, so my apologies if one exists that I couldn't find)

Re: Last Restaurant Standing

Yes, I am watching. I caught up on episode 1 and 2 on Sunday and have episode 3 on tape. I must say it is a refreshing change from watching Ramsey's Hell's Kitchen. I do like the two inpsectors and learning about the business side of the restaurent business. Who knew that TGI Fridays has a concept I thought it was just greasy food but i guess it is a concept. Anyway I really liked the father and daughter team and was appalled that they totally blew the preorder idea and then dear dad had tried to get unfed patrons to pay for their wine. I think I like Nel's but they they need to address seperate dishes for kids. The Welsh Wok is a total mess. I felt really bad for the Gallery that couldn't open due to a gas leak. I look forward to seeing episode 3 and who is sent home first.

I must admit when first watching the show you think it is a Valium commercial or a show on destressing with all the flower shots, the soothing music and the very mellow and slow voice of the narrator.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Yeah! I'm not alone! lol

The father/daughter team....just wow. What was he thinking? And I think it's him and his inexperience that will do them in. But...we don't yet have much of an idea as to her cooking skills do we?

Going back to ep1, I could not believe they made a dessert by opening up two cans and spritzing on some lime and thought they would make it! After all, haven't we learned with all of the various cooking shows out there that in order to move forward it would be a really good idea to cook something!

I enjoyed last season and will enjoy this season because it's an all encompassing show...not only must you cook well, you must present it well and you must please the customer.

I just started watching yesterday and once I get my feet in place I'll comment.

I got to watch ep 3 and was impressed with the food I saw at the Gallery, it was visually delicious. I felt as if I was eating it up with my eyes. Too bad the menu did not properly describe the dishes. Interesting to note how the front of the house and the back must communicate with each other to run smoothly. I really like watching the business end of the show and also Robert Blanc's little demo with the soup at the beginning of the show. I do hope the chef at Nel's can up the menu so the adult like it as well as the kids.

I think when this show was originally broadcast in the UK they were showing 2 episodes a week, with the second episode being an elimination episode.

Anyway, the father/daughter team from the Blue Goose were eliminated 2 weeks ago (our time). This week's elimination challenge has Ray White's, True Provenance and the Welsh Wok trying to create a 3 course meal for first class passengers on British Airways. At this point in the game The Cheerful Soul is the clear front runner, with Nel's and True Provenance floating behind them. Ray White's and The Welsh Wok are clearly in the bottom. No surprise that True Provenance wins the challenge. What did totally surprise me is that The Welsh Wok survived as they were critized for having uneatable rice, overly soggy noodles, crappy service and again citied for the chef not taking charge of the kitchen and menu. The face of the front of house lady was total shock and I too was shocked that after that criticism they survived especially when Ray White's food was critiqued as the most flavorful yet. The judges decided to let Chef Chris go because they felt he was not mature enough as a chef or in experience to run a restaurent at this time.

What saved The Welsh Wok? The fact that they actually got their concept together? Oh, well, I don't think they will survive much longer unless their chef starts standing up for himself.

April 5, 2009 - Palm Sunday

4 couples left.

Gallery - can cook, but front of house is a disaster. Chef also needs to understand how to communicate with front of house, understand how a business works and understand marketing. These two continuously blow it on challenges. Not giving tastings at a cooking demo...what is the point?? Alistair is way too uptight.

Cheerful Soul - mmmm, can cook, front of house is good, but the details suck.

Nel's - see above.

True Provenance - getting better.

only 3 episodes and a finale left. Will Raymond even pick a couple?? I know I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3403300;
    April 5, 2009 - Palm Sunday

4 couples left.

Gallery - can cook, but front of house is a disaster. Chef also needs to understand how to communicate with front of house, understand how a business works and understand marketing. These two continuously blow it on challenges. Not giving tastings at a cooking demo...what is the point?? Alistair is way too uptight.

Cheerful Soul - mmmm, can cook, front of house is good, but the details suck.

Nel's - see above.

True Provenance - getting better.

only 3 episodes and a finale left. Will Raymond even pick a couple?? I know I wouldn't.

Personally I think Alasdair and James need to both grow up. It is hard to beleive that James has a child as he is one yet himself, and I think Alasdair is just way too immature.

I would like to see the Cheerful Soul or True Provenance emerge as the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3403310;
    Personally I think Alasdair and James need to both grow up. It is hard to beleive that James has a child as he is one yet himself, and I think Alasdair is just way too immature.

I would like to see the Cheerful Soul or True Provenance emerge as the winner.
    Initially I didn't think True Provenance had a chance but they are looking really good to be the winners.

Well it is now down to The Gallery (although I was as surprised as the look on Alasdairs face when Blanc closed down Nels)True Provenance and The Cheerful Soul. I somehow do not see The Gallery emerging the winner, but stranger things have happened and I do think the best cookbook was Cheerful Soul. I think it will end up being True Provenance and Cheerful Soul going to the wire.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast