+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Last Restaurant Standing

  1. #31
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: Last Restaurant Standing

    Does anyone think it was Blancs fault that this idea did not pan out? I think their concept just didn't work because of the area.

  2. #32
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,394

    Re: Last Restaurant Standing

    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3430374;
    Does anyone think it was Blancs fault that this idea did not pan out? I think their concept just didn't work because of the area.
    Is this about the couple from season one? Details, please.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  3. #33
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: Last Restaurant Standing

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3430541;
    Is this about the couple from season one? Details, please.
    The Restaurant - Series 1 winners Jane and Jeremy Hooper and their losing story | The Internet Forum


    Married couple Jeremy and Jane Hooper won the first series of The Restaurant and the chance to set up their own restaurant. Together with Raymond Blanc they opened Eight at the Thatch, in Thame, Oxfordshire in November 2007. Their idea was to provide eight courses of locally sourced ingredients. Raymond Blanc’s world reknown restaurant “Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons” is situated nearby in Great Milton, Oxfordshire.

    An interview with Caterersearch quoted Jane saying

    "We are not looking at this as a quick flash in the pan. We want to feel at home now in Thame, and make our mark on the restaurant."

    In March 2008 Jane gave birth to the couple’s first child, a boy.

    On 5th May 2008, Jeremy and Jane stepped down and left Eight at the Thatch, their brief tenure reportedly “marked by reported rampant arguments and failure”. Sadly a far cry from their initial pledge. In a joint statement the Hooper’s said:

    “We feel very disappointed that this hasn’t worked out. We feel that we did not have the chance to make our concept work in the environment of a pub. Having said that, we were thrilled to win the prize and we have learned a lot. It has not proved possible to continue at Eight at the Thatch but we have not lost our dream.”
    Christian Cillia, head chef and general manager of the AA-Rosette winning Brasserie St Nicholas in Sevenoaks had joined the business in January to support the Hoopers. He was apparently employed by Raymond Blanc to mentor Jeremy, but he was sacked on 23 April and he told Caterersearch on May 2nd that the Hoopers
    “Had been on indefinite maternity and paternity leave after the birth of their first child in March”, and they “had quit”.
    Now renamed The Thatch, the restaurant is managed by Sarah Bates and head chef Ross Whitmill, who was formerly at Raymond Blanc's Petit Blanc.

    The Peach Pub company, who provided a consultancy to the Hoopers, now manage the restaurant. Co-founder and Managing director Lee Cash was one of Raymond Blanc’s inspectors for the show in series one.

    The second series of The Restaurant is on BBC2 on Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 8PM

    The Restaurant

  4. #34
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,394

    Re: Last Restaurant Standing

    Starting a business or running one. new baby mmmm....... Can we walk away with out really losing anything? yes, it really isn't our business and besides we have baby waby at home to play with.

    What was their concept that didn't fit in at the restaurant they were given. Fine dining vs pub food? Wasn't the idea of the prize that they could use their concept? or just run a Raymond Blanc restaurant?

    This reminds me of a quote I read that in Britain a 1000 restaurants are opened every year and 900 of them fail.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #35
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: Last Restaurant Standing

    I've been doing some searching as to their concept and am finding some interesting reading like the article below which it appears that business was booming. Maybe we'll never know the whole story, but I think once the baby arrived, they changed their minds. I mean look at how Tim & Lindsie missed their child so much they almost dropped out earlier.

    The Old Coot: Eight at the Thatch



    Last year, a Royal Marine chef named Jeremy Hooper was selected as the winner of a "reality TV" show called The Restaurant. The BBC is currently looking for contestants for a second season of the show. In the meantime, ZUI this article from the MoD Defence News:
    Jeremy and Jane Hooper's Thame restaurant Eight at the Thatch has been doing quite well since it opened four months ago in a blaze of publicity. Their success in the BBC TV show, which pitted nine couples against each other, all with a chance of running their very own restaurant with Blanc, came as a surprise to the couple.

    But winning the show was just the beginning. Now, with over 14,000 guests already having sampled Jeremy's cooking and every weekend fully booked for the foreseeable future, the couple are unsurprisingly very busy.*******

    The restaurant itself, which also includes a friendly bar, is tucked inside a 16th century half-timbered thatched cottage in the heart of the beautiful market town of Thame, 10 miles (16km) from Oxford. A mixture of the old and the new, all the dishes are made with seasonal ingredients, many of which are free range, local and sourced from small producers.


    and yet another take on it: apparently the concept was an eight course meal, which of course would not fit into "pub" type dining.


    Eight at The Thatch - Thame « The Ramblings of Tansy Whitebytts

    Update - 7 May 2008

    So that didn’t last. Jeremy and Jane have left “Eight at the Thatch” - According to the press report they wanted to pursue their concept of the Eight Courses which didn’t fit with the Pub/Restaurant at Thame.

  6. #36
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,394

    Re: Last Restaurant Standing

    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3430809;
    I've been doing some searching as to their concept and am finding some interesting reading like the article below which it appears that business was booming. Maybe we'll never know the whole story, but I think once the baby arrived, they changed their minds. I mean look at how Tim & Lindsie missed their child so much they almost dropped out earlier.

    The Old Coot: Eight at the Thatch



    Last year, a Royal Marine chef named Jeremy Hooper was selected as the winner of a "reality TV" show called The Restaurant. The BBC is currently looking for contestants for a second season of the show. In the meantime, ZUI this article from the MoD Defence News:
    Jeremy and Jane Hooper's Thame restaurant Eight at the Thatch has been doing quite well since it opened four months ago in a blaze of publicity. Their success in the BBC TV show, which pitted nine couples against each other, all with a chance of running their very own restaurant with Blanc, came as a surprise to the couple.

    But winning the show was just the beginning. Now, with over 14,000 guests already having sampled Jeremy's cooking and every weekend fully booked for the foreseeable future, the couple are unsurprisingly very busy.*******

    The restaurant itself, which also includes a friendly bar, is tucked inside a 16th century half-timbered thatched cottage in the heart of the beautiful market town of Thame, 10 miles (16km) from Oxford. A mixture of the old and the new, all the dishes are made with seasonal ingredients, many of which are free range, local and sourced from small producers.


    and yet another take on it: apparently the concept was an eight course meal, which of course would not fit into "pub" type dining.


    Eight at The Thatch - Thame « The Ramblings of Tansy Whitebytts

    Update - 7 May 2008

    So that didn’t last. Jeremy and Jane have left “Eight at the Thatch” - According to the press report they wanted to pursue their concept of the Eight Courses which didn’t fit with the Pub/Restaurant at Thame.
    I just watched a Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares about Rococo's restaurant that became Maggie's. The chef was trying to pursue his concept of fine dining in a village which really didn't have the funds to maintain a fine dining establishment. When Ramsey got there and finally knocked some sense into the head chef and they changed to a more casual rustic less expensive fare the restaurent started to do well. Even Ramsey said that in the restaurant business there is constant change and you have to adapt to survive.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #37
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: Last Restaurant Standing

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3431091;
    I just watched a Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares about Rococo's restaurant that became Maggie's. The chef was trying to pursue his concept of fine dining in a village which really didn't have the funds to maintain a fine dining establishment. When Ramsey got there and finally knocked some sense into the head chef and they changed to a more casual rustic less expensive fare the restaurent started to do well. Even Ramsey said that in the restaurant business there is constant change and you have to adapt to survive.
    I remember that episode and I believe that this was true of Eight at Thatch also, an area that either could not or simply did not want to support eight course dining in a pub atmosphere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.