+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last Restaurant Standing

Re: Last Restaurant Standing

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3423388;
    I read somewhere about James and I believe he is also either married and has a child or has a child. I did not see this episode but will catch it, why was True Provenance eliminated?
    Tim as the head chef did the worst job with the food. Since he has been a general food manager in bigger restaurents, the judges couldn't understand why he also had the biggest food cost overruns. I think he was so focused on the food part of the business that he totally forgot about the business side of the business. His wife, Lindsie, was praised as being outstanding as front of house and had really grown into the job.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I was over at the BBC website BBC America - Last Restaurant Standing - Alasdair & James and total shock:

Relationship: Friends. James has a 10-year-old daughter.

Ages: 24 & 25

Hometown: Exeter, Devon

Background: Alasdair is waiter/supervisor at a cocktail bar. James is currently a bouncer but he used to work as a chef des parties at Michelin restaurants, including The Square and Gordon Ramsay's at Claridges, and he feels he is a budding Michelin chef.

Culinary Experience: Both have catering qualifications and James has taught at a catering college. They both worked together previously when they managed a run down city centre pub and turned it into a successful pub/restaurant. They're both very confident in their abilities. Their restaurant inspiration partly comes from Alasdair's amateur photography hobby and they plan to cover the restaurant with his photographs.
    With all this experience I can't believe these two have had any previous restuarent experience from what I saw on the show.

Michelle and Russell: BBC America - Last Restaurant Standing - Michele & Russell

Relationship: Couple. No children.

Ages: 33 & 30

Hometown: Colchester, Essex

Background: Michele and Russell work together running a small buffet business. Russell is the chef, writing menus, preparing food, and keeping financial records. Michele liaises with the clients, helps in the kitchen, and serves during the night.

Culinary Experience: After setting up their business with £80 they reached a turnover of £35k in their first year. Russell is an experienced chef and has worked in a restaurant since the age of 12. They love working together. However, they are considering going back to regular jobs to make enough money to start their own restaurant business, and the possibility of spending time apart is really upsetting them.
    Again amazed with this experience they can't seem to have a smoother service.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3415653;
    Is it normal in the UK for resturents only to be opened from 7pm to 11pm for dinner? Do you have to make reservations? 63 guests filled the restaurent??
    I felt for the vegetarians and but the vegans have such restricted dietary requirements I am surprised they can eat out at all.

Glad Alistair finally seems to have gotten it and got rave reviews, now if he can only rein in James and get him not to spend so much on food.

What I don't understand is why Michele of the Cheerful Soul and the other front of house people do not inform their wait staff of the fact they will be having problem guests? Are they not allowed to? Shouldn't a really professional wait staff really know the menu? I never get that impression from what I have seen so far.
    Why on earth would vegans or individuals with specific dietary needs, think they could wander into just any restaurant and expect to have all their dietary quirks fulfilled. If I were a Vegan or someone with a life threatning food allergy, I'd certainly call ahead and make sure the restaurant could accomodate my requests. Many sauces may have egg or cream in them and that would send any self respecting Vegan running, gagging into the street.

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3424006;
    Why on earth would vegans or individuals with specific dietary needs, think they could wander into just any restaurant and expect to have all their dietary quirks fulfilled. If I were a Vegan or someone with a life threatning food allergy, I'd certainly call ahead and make sure the restaurant could accomodate my requests. Many sauces may have egg or cream in them and that would send any self respecting Vegan running, gagging into the street.
    I used to have a co-worker who was a vegan. He and his wife where limited in what kind of restaurants they could go to. I know they did Indian food a lot. I also used to hear him calling around to see what restaurants offered on the menu so they could actually have a good meal when they went out.

Well The Cheerful Soul makes it to the end. I think that Blanc just simply did not want to "mentor" Alasdair and James, he has done it before with others and I gather from the way he was speaking that he wanted someone a bit more mature, hence Russell and Michelle. Very good closure to a season, Best wishes to The Cheerful Soul. I did find out a few weeks ago that this season that we are seeing was shown in the UK in either 2005 or 2006, and had to keep myself from researching the whys and whos, to keep the element of surprise.

An aside to the previous episode when Blanc closed True Provenance, was it only me or did others notice that the attitude that Tim had was somewhat of a combative, who cares anymore attitude?

I feel so bad! I started this thread and then never came back to discuss it.

I was surprised by the decision...I really thought the boys pulled it off in the stretch. They were doing everything Raymond said they needed to do week after week and were continually improving. But...I just had a feeling he wanted the other two from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3428484;
    I did find out a few weeks ago that this season that we are seeing was shown in the UK in either 2005 or 2006, and had to keep myself from researching the whys and whos, to keep the element of surprise.
    I don't believe this to be true. At one point last night they showed a close up of her decorations on the tables, and I distinctly recall there was a date of July 8, 2008 (Because I was trying to remember where I was at on that date).

Quote Originally Posted by Tivoer;3428585;
    I feel so bad! I started this thread and then never came back to discuss it.

I was surprised by the decision...I really thought the boys pulled it off in the stretch. They were doing everything Raymond said they needed to do week after week and were continually improving. But...I just had a feeling he wanted the other two from the get-go.

I don't believe this to be true. At one point last night they showed a close up of her decorations on the tables, and I distinctly recall there was a date of July 8, 2008 (Because I was trying to remember where I was at on that date).
    I stand corrected - I was a year off. The first series ran beginning in 2007 and the second series (the one we are watching) began in Autumn 2008 as "The Restaurant".

Awww, I thought the boys would win it.

Oh, I heard from another viewer that the couple that won season 1 quit the restaurant business after working with Ray Blanc for a while.

They sure did! Looks like they lasted six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tivoer;3429986;
    They sure did! Looks like they lasted six months.
    Thanks much, I had tried to find an article but did not have any luck. I wonder how Michelle and Russell are doing? And of course I would like to know how James and Alasdair are doing? Anyone know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast