+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sober House

Re: Sober House

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3288669;
    It is unethical to place the people who are still using in that house because it is not in their best interest. While it might be entertaining to watch and challenging to the other clients not giving those clients the proper level of care is completely unethical. It is the responsibility of the staff there to refer to a higher level of care.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I think there should be some kind of clean time requirement to enter a sober living facility. When Steven showed up high, he should've been turned away for the mere fact he was a danger to the other people in the house.

I also think it was irresponsible of Dr. Drew's team to not pull Steven out of that house before the police had to be called. Allowing him to stay in the house while we watched the house mom and the mobster wannabe guy claim they believed he had stashed other drugs there was completely ludicrous. Had I been any other person in that house and I was taking my sobriety serious, I would've immediately left.

If a treatment facility or sober house in my area were to handle things in this manner, they would close quickly. Each program cares about the integrity of the facility and its staff. I don't see that in Dr. Drew's program or in this sober house facility.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Its a shame, because I do think that Dr. Drew and the rest of the crew do really care about all of them. But in this instance they haven't dealt with it appropriatly and with EVERYONE'S best interest in mind. I still like Dr. Drew, I'm not going to let this change my mind about him....but I just wish that he had done it differently. Maybe he realizes that now.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

I like Dr. Drew overall too and have for years since back in the Loveline days.

Where I am none of the treatment centers, halfway houses or other sober living places will allow people in that are high. They must first go to a detoxification facility away from the general population until they are completely detoxed from whatever they are on and in many cases that takes more than a one night stay. Sober living and halfway houses automatically refer to a higher level of care if they have relapsing clients here as well. They won't endanger the other clients and also it is a huge liability to keep someone on sight who is going through a detox process with no medical staff. If they happen to die during the process the facility would lose its license. Or if they continue to relapse and die as a result of their drug use that is also a liability.

It is not in the best interest of Seth or Steven to be in this facility.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, you can't make people make the decisions that you want them to make. Sometimes, I think you've just got to let the chips fall where they may. You can't save people who don't want to be saved; you can't save them from themselves. This is going to sound heartless, but I say put him in a room (with a bathroom), surround him with what it is that he wants, and let him have at it. If he makes it, he does; if he doesn't, oh well........
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3288799;
    You know, you can't make people make the decisions that you want them to make. Sometimes, I think you've just got to let the chips fall where they may. You can't save people who don't want to be saved; you can't save them from themselves. This is going to sound heartless, but I say put him in a room (with a bathroom), surround him with what it is that he wants, and let him have at it. If he makes it, he does; if he doesn't, oh well........
    Isn't that what his lifestyle has pretty much been? Think about it, he's been rich and had everything he could ever want and as much as he could ever want. When he's sober, he wants recovery.

That's why I think this was a failure on the part of Drew and his staff. Steven had no business being put in a sober environment without constant supervision. He expressed his fears before leaving inpatient treatment and no one listened to him. He was placed into sober living with the knowledge he would fail. For what? Ratings? That's completely unethical, in my opinion.

I'd just like to say that I'm not bagging on Dr. Drew. I love him and respect him for what he's trying to do here. I'm not of the belief that this show is about celebrities getting clean as much as it's about how celebrity life isn't all it's cracked up to be. I also think it's about educating people on the effects of drug and alcohol addiction. Seeing celebrities in this situation would be more interesting to watch than the Average Joe, for me anyway. I can't watch Intervention. It makes me literally sick.

I agree with the poster earlier who said that Seth appeared to be clean for just a few short days and then thrown into a laxed sober environment with too much freedom. WTF??? I feel like they want them to fail so we have some drama to watch.

And FYI, accepting Seth back into the facility after totally disrespecting the work they do there by smoking crack cocaine on the roof is ENABLING him. Turn that loser away and call it a bad day. You can only do so much for someone before you cross the line into enabling.

I also question the three strikes and you're out motto of the sober house. Why? I'm sorry but it's a sober environment. If you aren't sober, you should be sent packing. Addicts can't be around other using addicts without major struggle. I'd think that burnt heroin smell in the public bathroom was a great relapse trigger for someone else in the house. We're probably going to see a huge trigger for Rodney in the bar this week.

Recovery isn't about teaching yourself to not use in your old using environments. It's about staying away from those environments and starting new, healthy habits. Habits that don't hinder your sobriety. You don't hang out with using friends while trying not to use. You make completely different friends. You don't go back and take care of your mother whom got you started on the drugs in the first place. You stay away from her if she's not in recovery too.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3288799;
    I agree but instead of providing his drugs, give him healthy food to eat and the opportunity for exercise and counseling but don't let him outdoors or around others and do this for about 2-3 months and then graduate him to a situation like he just completed at the Pasadena Recovery center for about 2-3 more months and then send him directly to a Sober House without letting him stop at home or see his friends or family so he doesn't have the opportunity to get them. Now, I'm not an expert but I'm just wondering if that would work bettery. Also, I think the time frame of being in rehab should be tailored to the specific person instead of just a blanket 28 days or whatever. 28 days might work for one person but another person might need 6 months before they could go to a sober house. They should have specific criteria you have to meet first. Anyway, that's my 2 cents FWIW from someone who has never been an addict (well...does food count ) and is not an expert in anyway. My brother is an alchoholic but he's never been or will ever go to rehab and I just stay away from him when he's drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle_Juice;3288879;
    I also question the three strikes and you're out motto of the sober house. Why? I'm sorry but it's a sober environment. If you aren't sober, you should be sent packing. Addicts can't be around other using addicts without major struggle. I'd think that burnt heroin smell in the public bathroom was a great relapse trigger for someone else in the house. We're probably going to see a huge trigger for Rodney in the bar this week.
    It was obviously a trigger for the big counselor guy (can't remember his name) because he said he was a former addict himself. Why is it that all of the counselors are former addicts? Dr. Drew is the only one that's not (that we know of anyway). Isn't that risky for their recovery? The Jennifer girl has only been clean for 2 years. My cousin has gone without crack for 2 years at a time a couple of times but he always goes back to it. Maybe people who have never struggled with drugs don't want to do that job and it's certainly impossible for someone to empathize because they can only sympathize. I know I would never want to spend my time babysitting a bunch of addicts. I'd probably die from stomach ulcers from the stress!
    Last edited by stacerace; 01-25-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Former addicts are much better counselors than those who have not lived the life. Children of addicts are excellent counselors too. There's so much more to the life than what is exhibited in books at a college. I have seen non-addicted counselors and it is very hard to run a group because they don't understand withdrawal symptoms, relapse triggers, and cravings. It's easy to lose control of a group when one of the members says, "You don't understand what I'm going through," and the counselor admittedly doesn't understand.

Steven Adler should be taken out of that house...I couldn't believe the level of disrespect he displayed, I'm beginning to believe what his mother said about him. Does he think he is some huge rock star and get away with anything he wants? He is a washed up has been drummer of an 80's rock band living in the past that can't seem to move on, pathetic!
    How dare he call Jennifer a fat b*tch when he found out she used to model. And how disrespectful of Dr. Drew to allow that behavior to continue. I have totally lost respect for Dr Drew, it's obvious he is star struck and doing this for ratings rather than for what is in the patients best interest.
    Also, how rude was that big thug dude at the barbecue to Jennifer? It's her house, how dare he treat her like that in her own home? He should have been asked to leave immediately.
    I say lock Steven Adler and Jeff Conway in a room together and throw away the key. That should be enough to drive them both into sobriety.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3289080;
    Steven Adler should be taken out of that house...I couldn't believe the level of disrespect he displayed, I'm beginning to believe what his mother said about him. Does he think he is some huge rock star and get away with anything he wants? He is a washed up has been drummer of an 80's rock band living in the past that can't seem to move on, pathetic!
    How dare he call Jennifer a fat b*tch when he found out she used to model. And how disrespectful of Dr. Drew to allow that behavior to continue. I have totally lost respect for Dr Drew, it's obvious he is star struck and doing this for ratings rather than for what is in the patients best interest.
    Also, how rude was that big thug dude at the barbecue to Jennifer? It's her house, how dare he treat her like that in her own home? He should have been asked to leave immediately.
    I say lock Steven Adler and Jeff Conway in a room together and throw away the key. That should be enough to drive them both into sobriety.
    Don't forget to throw Vicky in the mix too! That woman is a mess!
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3289080;
    Why would you even consider blaming Dr. Drew for things that Steven says while under the influence of narcotics? It's obvious that Steven is a very different person when using and I don't understand the lack of compassion for him. He's an addict who didn't have enough clean time or acquire the tools needed to maintain sobriety in a less-structured environment. Steven is impaired physically, mentally and emotionally. A few days of sobriety in Dr. Drew's facility doesn't bring all of his marbles back to good. He's spent years destroying braincells. He will never again think like a normal person.

That certainly doesn't make him a lost cause or give reason to shove him in a room like an animal. He's a human being. A very sick one, but human just the same.

+ Reply to Thread