+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sober House

FORT Fogey

Re: Sober House

Thanks so much for the information...I did not know about the "spoiler tags". I did see the episode earlier and didn't think.

thanks...and sorry about that

No worries....glad the information helped!

I love Dr. Drew, but I agree he made a mistake not sending Steven back to rehab/hospital. Steven has been on drugs for so many years, being clean for less than a month is NOTHING.

Steven is gentle and kind when he's sober, but he's a complete jerk when he's getting high. I would have called the police on him much earlier in the evening if I was Ginnifer.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

I wouldn't of had that BBQ. And I would've made Bob stay with me until things were taken care of. I'm surprised he left her in that situation.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

I also agree with the thought that things with Steven weren't handled well. I also don't think that Shifty should have been allowed in the house either. The man was cracked out on a roof days before. It's like they're setting the others up to fail. they're just not strong enough in their sobriety yet to be around that constant chaos. If they were, they wouldn't need a sober house. they would be ready for the wacky and rude real world. I don't understand the thought that went into this.

Sadly, I see only Rodney suceeding. He seems the like the most stable and also the only one who isn't shown in the previews messing up like the rest of them.

I hate to say this, but I have lost alot of respect for Dr. Drew too. Steven and Seth are hardcore addicts and need to be in a Rehab facility (and away from cameras).

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3288285;
    I also agree with the thought that things with Steven weren't handled well. I also don't think that Shifty should have been allowed in the house either. The man was cracked out on a roof days before. It's like they're setting the others up to fail. they're just not strong enough in their sobriety yet to be around that constant chaos. If they were, they wouldn't need a sober house. they would be ready for the wacky and rude real world. I don't understand the thought that went into this.
    Along the same line as your thoughts, I question putting people who know each other in the same sober house. I would think knowing someone in the house would hinder the group as a whole. Probably not for those with long-time sobriety and are able to use the tools they've acquired in treatment, but I'm talking about this core group of people that are very new in their sobriety.

In the previews for this week's show, they show the group at a bar. Ummmmm, who's idea was that? I hope that the house mom isn't a part of that. Some of these people seem to think that alcohol is okay because it's not their drug of choice, but they need to understand that they are addicts of all mind-altering drugs, not just the ones they've abused excessively over the years. The fact that most, if not all, of them went to a bar tells me that they haven't had enough education about the affects of drugs and alcohol. Anyone taking their recovery seriously would never put themselves in a situation that hinders their recovery. A bar does just that....to all of them.

I was checking out a client this past week at work and he said something that made me think. He had gone through our intensive outpatient program and then relapsed in aftercare. He then went through an intensive relapse prevention program and this week he completed aftercare. I've seen him change drastically while in our program. He told me he was thankful for his last relapse. I looked at him strangely, almost begging for an explanation. I don't remember his last words but I can tell you that he was saying that he was young in his recovery and put himself in a situation where he thought he had control because he wanted sobriety. The temptation was just too much for him and he relapsed. It took that relapse to see it.

So maybe that's where the show is going with these people. They are young in their recovery and need to be allowed the freedom to see how vulnerable they are in certain situations, like a bar or having a using house mate, and such. Just a thought....

That makes a lot of sense Pickle Juice. Perhaps that is why they are allowing them to make so many mistakes, although from what they are showing it seems as if they have very little guidance. The thing that bothers me about that is I can understand sending the message that you should learn to avoid triggers, I even understand sending the message that you may be put in situations where you encounter an addict. What I don't understand is forcing them to live with active addicts who hide drugs throughout the house and use in the bathrooms. it's just too much to deal with right now, especially for someone like Amber or Nikki, who have a ton on their plates right now and who were skeptical about even entering the house in the first place.

I would've liked to see more of the reactions of the other housemates when Steven was using in the house. I wonder if they were mortified. I wonder if they were craving. Maybe they will delve into that in the next few episodes. I would guess they are all angry and feel betrayed. Steven put the entire group in danger but he wasn't thinking about anyone other than what he wanted at the time.

It is unethical to place the people who are still using in that house because it is not in their best interest. While it might be entertaining to watch and challenging to the other clients not giving those clients the proper level of care is completely unethical. It is the responsibility of the staff there to refer to a higher level of care.

+ Reply to Thread