+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Sober House

Re: Sober House

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3876024;
    Heidi apparently is sin some kind of legal problem? She said that when she went to NV, she learned that something was being treated more seriously then she anticipated and that there would be punishment....that is why she got high. I missed something there . Was that all explained before she left?
    I wonder if that is the car crash they showed on Rehab. It happened when she left the group following the bird fiasco.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3879688;
    Sounds like a man hoping for a situation that would land Lindsey Lohan on one of his fruitcake tv shows. If you didn't think the man was questionable before this should seal the deal.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3879688;
    Dr Drew was a guest on a local radio station here in the Bay Area. He stated that if one of his kids were deep in addiction he would pack their car up with illegal substances and call the cops. First of all, where would he get all these illegal drugs and second, isn't it against the law to do that? Didn't he take an oath when he became a doctor? I feel like his fame is getting to any logic that he ever possessed.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3880003;
    Dr Drew was a guest on a local radio station here in the Bay Area. He stated that if one of his kids were deep in addiction he would pack their car up with illegal substances and call the cops. First of all, where would he get all these illegal drugs and second, isn't it against the law to do that? Didn't he take an oath when he became a doctor? I feel like his fame is getting to any logic that he ever possessed.
    In all fairness, Dr. Drew did write a letter to The Huffington Post as a followup to his comments. Here is an except:

The Huffington Post

...But when I was asked as a father, if I were in Michael Lohan's position, what would I do to help my daughter, I am clear that I would go to any lengths to get her to and retain her in treatment. Bringing legal consequences to bear is often the only alternative. It would kill me but I would do it. Perhaps I surrendered my equanimity to a flight of journalistic excess by even suggesting that he plant drugs. But if I was in his position and I knew she was addicted (which I personally do not) and all else had failed, I suspect I would contemplate even this as a last resort.

Let me be clear I am not suggesting this as a routine intervention but we frequently enlist law enforcement when we have exhausted other measures. To those of you who reacted in outrage when I made this suggestion, I will remind you that millions of you watched the first season of Sober House when as difficult as it was for her, the house manager, Jennifer Gimenez, summoned police to contain Steven Adler. We then advocated for long-term treatment as an alternative to imprisonment; an enlightened judge granted this, and today as a result Steven is sober and thriving. Were it not for this intervention, as miserable as it was for Steven, I believe he would have soon succumbed to his addiction.

I was at dinner with my own children some months ago and we were discussing addiction and I explained to them that as a result of my experience treating addicts, I wanted them to know that I would go to any lengths to combat this disease should one of them ever fall victim. I reminded them that I spend my days trying to resurrect lives that have been devastated by this disease, devastation that might have been avoided had someone been sufficiently clear to have gone to the mat for this patient when they were younger and earlier in their disease. Family members have to be willing to go to any lengths and unfortunately this often means bringing about circumstances that restrict that individual's freedom. As the parent of an addict you must be prepared to bring consequences to bear. I am talking about painful interventions that save lives.

Yeah, the article quoted part of that - the article was actually written after his original comments. Saying he would do it "as a worried dad" still makes no sense, and it's horrible advice to give to anyone's father, including Lindsay's. It's out from left field, no spin makes it okay.

Especially when Drew was talking about how counselors should be detached, not overly emotionally involved or "codependent," when he was criticising Jen in the last episode of Sober House. It sounds as if, IF Drew's spin is on the level, seeing 'so many lives devastated by drugs' is getting to him, and affecting his judgment.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3881449;
    Yeah, the article quoted part of that - the article was actually written after his original comments. Saying he would do it "as a worried dad" still makes no sense, and it's horrible advice to give to anyone's father, including Lindsay's. It's out from left field, no spin makes it okay.
    I mentioned it was a follow-up to his comment that had upset some people.

FORT Fogey

I actually agree with the "doctor." His morals are clearly skewed but Lindsay is probably going to die. Have you seen her lately? If I was her mom or dad, I'd try to save her at all costs.
    The thing with Dr. Drew is that he pretends to have some sort of authority on everything. He isn't an expert at everything but he still goes on all of these shows as the "expert." He can't say things like that and maintain that he gives educated advice. You are either an expert at everything or you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3881604;
    I mentioned it was a follow-up to his comment that had upset some people.
    Yeah, although I didn't see the part about his comments upsetting people. Just that it was more fair to include his letter.

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3880324;
    In all fairness, Dr. Drew did write a letter to The Huffington Post as a followup to his comments.
    The link I had earlier posted contained quotes from that Huffington Post letter. It was basically the same thing. So, the article was fair & balanced to Drew, I thought.
    Last edited by Brandy; 04-20-2010 at 10:18 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3881941;
    Yeah, although I didn't see the part about his comments upsetting people. Just that it was more fair to include his letter.

The link I had earlier posted contained quotes from that Huffington Post letter. It was basically the same thing. So, the article was fair & balanced to Drew, I thought.
    In the Huffington Post, Dr. Drew wrote, "To those of you who reacted in outrage when I made this suggestion,".

The Huffington Post article was a follow-up to comments Dr. Drew had made to various outlets regarding Lindsey Lohan, and also what he would do if his own kids were addicts.

You original post asked if I had read the OMG link you had posted first, but you edited it out. To answer your question, yes I read it. If you posted the info first, I'm sorry. I was replying to someone else's comment. I didn't suggest your link was "not fair and balanced."

+ Reply to Thread