+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Sober House

Re: Sober House

Quote Originally Posted by meemee2000;3868363;
    I only caught the last 5 minutes of the last Sober House. What in the heck did Mike do to get Tom so angry?
    Nothing really - at least, not from what was shown.

Mike was a jerk earlier to staff - but Tom was a hypocrite to scream at Mike for that. Tom said exactly the same things to Jenn earlier, when Tom wanted to leave (and left.) Watching Tom and Mike go at it was sad, sad, sad. They were just both sick and desperate.

At that moment, though, Mike was sitting at the table minding his own business. Tom began by lecturing him, then apparently didn't feel Mike agreed enough to what he lectured about, and began going ballistic. It was highly irrational, it was a lot of macho posturing (hiding a scared little boy - Tom sobbed on Jenn's shoulder earlier), and it was amped up a bit when Heidi tossed some sushi at Tom for some reason known only to Heidi.

That whole episode would make a wonderful "don't do drugs" PSA.

Tom is no saint, but if I had to choose sides between Tom and Heidi, I have far more sympathy for Tom. I think Heidi seems like a cruel, vicious, amoral and selfish person who enjoys inflicting pain on Tom. She does not seem to care about anyone but herself. Its clear Tom gets very hurt by her and then that turns to anger and his bad behavior. I would bet that any violent situations in the past between the two of them involved both of them playing guilty roles, not just Tom. I really think Heidi is a snake of a person.

I do find this show sad in that they are all so messed up, its pretty heartbreaking

Quote Originally Posted by Brett;3868562;
    I have never been to rehab and I dont know anyone who ever went but I just dont see how taking away cell phones and making them write essay's is helpful.
    its a way to teach that there are consequences for behavior and breaking rules- something addicts have trouble with

Jennifer discusses each episode on the vh1 blog. Its good.

Sorry, but these are a bunch of low lifes. ( But of coarse I will continue watching.)

Thanks for the update, Candor & Brandy. Sounds like Tom was misdirecting his anger at Mike. Glad I don't live in a house with such volatile personalities! And here I thought all the drama would end once Kari Ann left the house... *shrugs*

Yeah, meemee2000 it seems it only was passed to others like some sort of half lit torch. The house as a whole is really unruly. The one I have the most hope for is Jennifer (ex-Penny Flame.) She seems to do as told and keeps out of it (despite being late for curfew.) Kendra still seems to have some struggles if something hits her ego wrong. And some of the others are just a hot mess, still.

You pegged it, though. Tom was unloading on Mike. Mike, in a strange moment of clarity that some have even in the midst of madness, looked at Tom calmly and said, "You're mad at yourself." Which insight only seemed to make Tom lash out more.

Tom seemed scarily irrational, though, whatever the source of his real hurt. I'd be afraid to be alone in a room with that guy.

Oh - about Mike. Did anyone else feel he somehow 'beat' his drug test? I hear there are ways to do that although I don't know exactly how. I think one way involves putting something into the cup. Didn't he ask for that cup a while before he took the actual test? I know Will was watching him in the bathroom, so it wasn't a urine substitution. But, Mike's agitation was totally gone after the test was okay - as if maybe he was afraid he wouldn't pass it. Mike was alone upstairs a while. He, Tom and perhaps Heidi shouldn't be in a Sober House yet in my opinion, but somewhere with higher security so that if allowed to leave and return, they could be searched, despite any protestations.

Tom and Mike really are like light switches - rage on, rage off.
    Last edited by Brandy; 04-05-2010 at 05:10 AM.

FORT Regular

Mike Starr is an ass. Period. The only difference between him and Kari Ann is that he does want to get better, but he's a spoiled brat even when he's not under the influence.

It's been said by a lot of people in this thread, but Tom and Heidi just shouldn't be in treatment together. Tom's anger issues would probably decrease quite a bit without her there, and I'd go as far to say that Heidi probably wouldn't have relapsed if Tom weren't there.

I've got a soft spot for Heidi for some reason. I think, despite the relapse, that she genuinely does want to get better. She seems to be doing the necessary work and the only people that she's truly blown up at are Tom (understandable, given their history) and Kari Ann (who completely deserved it).

The problem with this show though is that, apart from Jennifer/Penny Flame, there are large elements of these people that are completely unlikeable.

That was the 1st time I have watched Sober House & wow, I don't know how anyone sober or not could live with all that turmoil going on!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

They wouldn't let poor, sad, little Kari Ann come back in the house. . . Boo Hoo. Is it possible that, please God, we won't have to see her mean little smarmy face ever again????

+ Reply to Thread