+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Sober House

Re: Sober House

Didn't they make it really clear to the patients that Jen is not "staff" on the first episode - that she runs the house and enforces the rules? I thought Jen said something about that and how she wouldn't take abuse like the staff at Celeb Rehab. I may be wrong?

Good point, meemee2000. This is why I was wondering if it's literally 'her house' or if she simply 'owns' the program that rents the house and hires its employees? In other words, whether or not it's Jen's 'show' (not tv show, but business, I guess) completely. If so then Dr. Drew talking down to Jen and telling her "this wouldn't fly at my program" is a bit galling.

If Jen is Dr. Drew's employee it makes more sense.

Then again Dr. Drew isn't really one to be talking about good boundaries these days in my opinion. Aside from his behavior with Kari Ann (And I also agree re: Heidi and Tom shouldn't be together, if Monroe is a trigger for him what's Heidi for Tom, or vice versa?). The Good Doctor is beginning to seem a bit of a vulture, he flies at the Larry King Live show so quickly whenever any scandal or death occurs in the news. Yeah, I'm not a great big fan of his I guess. The people coming to him for help really need it; he could use some in depth therapy himself, I think, before he becomes one of the Narcissists he writes about (if not already.) Has he become more fond of his fame than of his Hippocratic Oath?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3855319;
    You bring up some imporant points. It's absolutley unnacceptable for staff to swear. It can be construed as aggressive and abusive by patients. If someone is in treatment and one of their issues is abuse of any kind then swearing can really mess with a person's sense of safety. It can cause flashbacks or any number of reactions which would be detremental to a patients recovery. I hope I'm not coming across as a know-it-all but I worked for a time at a facility and respectful language was actually part of patient contract, as well.
    And, as you say, it is absolutley unprofessional for staff to swear.
    redsox girl - Thanks for your eloquence, and insight. I can't imagine swearing at a patient/client could be healthy to someone's recovery, nor can I imagine it to be professional. I wouldn't expect a staff member to have to accept swearing that goes beyond a part of someone's casual vernacular, either. Thanks, too, for making the point that it could possibly be a trigger and/or cause havoc for someone's sense of safety.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3855553;
    Good point, meemee2000. This is why I was wondering if it's literally 'her house' or if she simply 'owns' the program that rents the house and hires its employees? In other words, whether or not it's Jen's 'show' (not tv show, but business, I guess) completely. If so then Dr. Drew talking down to Jen and telling her "this wouldn't fly at my program" is a bit galling. If Jen is Dr. Drew's employee it makes more sense.
    I don't know Jen's exact classification, but I know she doesn't run any sort of program on her own. She is a former alcoholic (or addict), who has been the 'House Mother' for both Sober House seasons. Some of the staff members are former addicts, abusers, alcoholics, etc. Bob, who sits in on some of the group therapy sessions, and also runs the 12 step meetings that some of the patients attend, is a former addict. Shelley, one of the Techs, is a former addict, and Luisha, another Tech, is also a former addict. Back to Jen, though, I guess she is considered one of the Recovery Center's employees

(eta: I wrote above that Jen is a former alcoholic, but she may be a former addict.)
    Last edited by daiseyo; 03-16-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: edited info on Jen.

A lot of treatment counselors have had their own substance abuse struggles, but I'm still not sure what role Jen fills. Thanks though! (Maybe the show will clarify at some point.)

FORT Newbie

RE: The cursing issue: I don't think I saw where any of you mentioned that Dr. Drew used curse words on numerous times with the patients. I don't find it inappropriate at all. But there is a huge difference in using a curse word in conversation and cursing AT someone. Especially in a professional setting.

Which leads me to the presence of Jen and her lack of professionalism...ugh! It bugs me that she is the "house mother". The only reason they brought her into that role is for ratings!! I don't think she has any experience in dealing with this type of thing. Yes she is a recovering addict, but that does not make some an expert in running a sober house. The first season, I thought she was SO inappropriate. She was always hugging all over the guys and stuff (esp. Seth!!). And I felt like she just crossed lines. Not to mention, the way she talks about the people that live in the house is just highly immature. I, personally, think she has no business being in that role- it diminishes the seriousness of the situation to me and shows that the producers are more concerned with ratings!! (Why not just have a "regular" person doing that job???)

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM;3855755;
    RE: The cursing issue: I don't think I saw where any of you mentioned that Dr. Drew used curse words on numerous times with the patients.
    That's right - he did! Part of his conversation with Kari Ann in episode 1 was bleeped.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3855553;
    Then again Dr. Drew isn't really one to be talking about good boundaries these days in my opinion. Aside from his behavior with Kari Ann (And I also agree re: Heidi and Tom shouldn't be together, if Monroe is a trigger for him what's Heidi for Tom, or vice versa?). The Good Doctor is beginning to seem a bit of a vulture, he flies at the Larry King Live show so quickly whenever any scandal or death occurs in the news. Yeah, I'm not a great big fan of his I guess. The people coming to him for help really need it; he could use some in depth therapy himself, I think, before he becomes one of the Narcissists he writes about (if not already.) Has he become more fond of his fame than of his Hippocratic Oath?
    ITA, I used to like him more before this show, and now I question his motives.

when does the first run air? All I am seeing for next week is re-runs.

If they keep throwing everyone out, there won't be anyone in Sober House

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3858220;
    when does the first run air? All I am seeing for next week is re-runs.

If they keep throwing everyone out, there won't be anyone in Sober House

I was thinking the same thing. Let's see, Kari Ann has been thrown out and from the previews, Mike, Dennis and Tom all have issues and may leave. What a group!!!!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

+ Reply to Thread