+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Sober House

FORT Fogey

Re: Sober House

I didn't state "verbal abuse." I mentioned "bad language." I don't think any Professional should swear at a patient, client, co-worker, etc, but espcially not at a patient. As I already mentioned, I don't believe a staff member should have to take abuse from a patient, either - no matter if it's due to "sickness" or "excuses." A Professional should be able to control themselves from swearing at a patient, client, co-worker, etc.

Thanks for the information everyone. Helps to try and understand the muddled mess that is rehab as entertainment.

Enabling is a good word - does it seem like Dr. Drew is guilty of that where Kari Ann is concerned? Shouldn't the bottom line be helping the person, since he is a doctor? Seems like there is even more rule breaking and drama coming up on her part. She tilts her head and whines and Dr. Drew melts, and caves, is how it seems to me. He isn't doing anyone any favors then.

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3854549;
    I didn't state "verbal abuse." I mentioned "bad language." I don't think any Professional should swear at a patient, client, co-worker, etc, but espcially not at a patient. As I already mentioned, I don't believe a staff member should have to take abuse from a patient, either - no matter if it's due to "sickness" or "excuses." A Professional should be able to control themselves from swearing at a patient, client, co-worker, etc.
    You're still talking about in a sense of losing control. There are many many people who swear as a part of everyday conversation and not "swear at" someone. It's a cultural/conversational thing. Not losing control. It's not effective to be "above" the patient by not speaking their language. Patient's have a hard time identifying with someone who doesn't speak their language. And if the counselor insists on using a "higher" language a lot of patients will see that as a person acting like they are better than them. And as I stated now for the third time this varies patient by patient and facility by facility. And it's a good counselor who is able to identify these things and work with it.

It's not about taking the patient's abuse either. If one works in such a facility and can't handle swearing they have found the wrong job for themselves and should not be working there.

In this world swears are just more words in the English language to express oneself. Not indicative of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3854851;
    Thanks for the information everyone. Helps to try and understand the muddled mess that is rehab as entertainment.

Enabling is a good word - does it seem like Dr. Drew is guilty of that where Kari Ann is concerned? Shouldn't the bottom line be helping the person, since he is a doctor? Seems like there is even more rule breaking and drama coming up on her part. She tilts her head and whines and Dr. Drew melts, and caves, is how it seems to me. He isn't doing anyone any favors then.
    Dr. Drew is completely enabling Kari with her private rooms and keeping even though it is not therapeutic for her. One must actually be involved in treatment for it to be helpful not getting binkinis painted on them by middle aged men.

FORT Newbie

I have wondered what other addiction professionals think of Drew and this show. I'm sure they would agree that 3 weeks of treatment for lifelong addicts like Tom Sizemore is just not enough. IMO it's unethical to keep Tom and Heidi together because they are triggers for each other, obviously. And Drew's behavior with Kari Ann has been appalling. Instead of just being a neutral experience for the participants, I've started thinking from this season and the last that it's a negative experience for their long term sobriety, although some seem to benefit more than others. I wonder if Drew cares about that at all.

FORT Regular

Anyone know what happened to Sizemore's girlfriend, Monroe? She went in for treatment and then completely disappeared off the show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3854855;
    You're still talking about in a sense of losing control. There are many many people who swear as a part of everyday conversation and not "swear at" someone. It's a cultural/conversational thing. Not losing control. It's not effective to be "above" the patient by not speaking their language. Patient's have a hard time identifying with someone who doesn't speak their language. And if the counselor insists on using a "higher" language a lot of patients will see that as a person acting like they are better than them. And as I stated now for the third time this varies patient by patient and facility by facility. And it's a good counselor who is able to identify these things and work with it.

It's not about taking the patient's abuse either. If one works in such a facility and can't handle swearing they have found the wrong job for themselves and should not be working there.

In this world swears are just more words in the English language to express oneself. Not indicative of abuse.
    I realize swearing is a "conversational thing," but thanks for the reminder. BTW, I have nothing against swearing - it's a part of my everyday vernacular, but I would never swear in a professional setting. Not swearing doesn't equate to "being above someone." To say every patient would feel that is a sweeping generalization. Not everyone has to swear to be effective. Also, I NEVER said "swearing is indicative of abuse." Read my previous post, again. Honestly, I don't know why you continue to watch this show - or any show, as every post I've ever read from you (regardless of the show) is extremely unhappy and negative.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3854855;
    You're still talking about in a sense of losing control.
    You also need to revisit the original reference. This "whole thing" is related to a preview showing Jen totally "losing control" with Mike, and swearing at him.

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3854549;
    YOu make an excellent point. One of the first rules any client learns is to use respectful language. It's repeated in every group session, no abusive language, end of story. If that rule cannot be followd they are terminated from the program or asked to leave group. In fact, one of the reasons swearing is forbidden is because it can be a trigger for many people who equate it with verbal abuse and physical abuse.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3854476;
    It's a rental.

From the season previews, I *think* I saw what appeared to be a clip of Jen at a later date, so hopefully she just received a warning.

That is shocking to me. In a professional setting, "bad language" normally isn't acceptable, although I know there are exceptions. JMO, but I would think a treatment facility would be even more strict with enforcing that. Not that a staff member should have to take abuse, but they should remain professional, and realize the patient is "sick." Discharge the abusive patient, and/or arrange another level of care.

You bring up some imporant points. It's absolutley unnacceptable for staff to swear. It can be construed as aggressive and abusive by patients. If someone is in treatment and one of their issues is abuse of any kind then swearing can really mess with a person's sense of safety. It can cause flashbacks or any number of reactions which would be detremental to a patients recovery. I hope I'm not coming across as a know-it-all but I worked for a time at a facility and respectful language was actually part of patient contract, as well.
    And, as you say, it is absolutley unprofessional for staff to swear.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

+ Reply to Thread