+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Sober House

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Re: Sober House

Yes Steven is still there.

Nikki's cousin shot and killed his step-dad.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3353796;
    Yes Steven is still there.
    We looked at this several posts back. There were some strange "sticking Steven in the picture" that didn't look real. I see in the previews that he is headed to court for the heroin possession charge. I remember the day after the Rehab program ended, there was a piece in the paper that Steven was remanded to rehab by order of the court.

Now, I am pretty sure that the story line of Sober House is not day to day real time although they count the days off for us. The story lines could be told in a different order since they are each pretty separate.

We saw Steven during the Nikki story line...he was going to play on her recording and we was there when she said she was not able to do the vocals.

However, he was less of an actual presence during earlier story lines.

If Steven does leave the show to go to rehab, then we should look for more of the fake "stick Steven in the picture" because he might not actually be there for some of the story lines..or they might be honest ( yea right).

Whether

I want to know what happened to the cast getting 'humbling' recovery jobs, like working in a store etc. We haven't seen a single second of that and I think the show would be much better and more authentic if we did see that.

FORT Fogey

Absolutely agree with the job issue. It was pushed out as being important and the only indication that this would actually be a part of the show was Amber interviewing ( badly ) for a retail job.

Apparently everybody sits around the house all day, running out only when there is some dramamtic emergency and then clubbing on the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878;3341532;
    This show is a complete joke,totally set up and I have lost all respect for "Dr" Drew after watching this "SCRIPTED" reality show.The whole Seth thing just sent it over the edge and his "escaping" and "hiding" and "oh look he is videotaping on myspace and he says to go here to get "more info" so we can find him!!"

Give me a fing break.

This is a show where actors are being paid and it has nothing to do with "staying sober".

I know people who have dealt with addicts would disagree with your conclusions regarding the behavior being dsiplayed. It's pretty common place. Seth is very much behaving like an actual addict. The unpredictable behavior and need to create drama is actually quite predicatble. Every addict believes he or she is unique but the truth is they all pretty much act the same way. Tons of drama, tons of self absorbtion and lots of attention seeking behavior-most of these people never reached emotional maturity. They are children with all of the privaleges of an adult.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

Seth's behavior is pretty in line with addict behavior.

However, what is abnormal is the facility they are in and the process to get there etc. Many of these clients needed a higher level of care than what they got in their mini-treatment. Seth being one of the bigger ones there. He had enough time to almost sort of kind of detox off the drugs he was on before sober living. No meaningful treatment activitities there. Steven, well we all know about him too. The facility keeping them there isn't ethical from my point of view knowing they should be in a higher level of care.

I have had to work with halfway houses (what the rest of us call sober living) with my clients. The reality is here in the real world they have rules. This drama stuff with Seth would have been nipped in the bud a long time ago at most places. Steve wouldn't be there. The hanging out in bars on a consistent basis would have likely led to discharge from the facility for many people. While facilities like this are inherantly filled with drama attempts are made to keep it at a minimum. Etc. This is not an accurate portrayal of what these facilities really are.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I know I'm joining in the conversation late - but I have seen all of the episodes.

I could go on and on (of course) - but I want to just say - I used to really like Amber and had high hopes for her - until when she was at the party and she called Mary to come over there. Mary said no (props to Mary) but then Amber got all pissy and hung up on her - then afterward Amber said that if Mary and the other girls had been there she wouldn't have been drinking. She was blaming her relapse on the fact that the others didn't jump to her command. Welcome to "sober" house.

Second, I think Shifty is there for camera time only. He has no intention of getting clean - that's obvious. I don't think he'll be alive much longer - that is very sad.

Finally, as others have said - these people are not ready for sober living. I equate going to rehab and sober living in the middle of LA/Hollywood like going to Utah to avoid the mormons. It's just not gonna happen.

Dr. Drew seems tired and stressed. I worry that he has too many irons in the fire. But he's still handsome and sexy as ever. (Sorry Mrs. Drew!)

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3365112;
    Seth's behavior is pretty in line with addict behavior.

However, what is abnormal is the facility they are in and the process to get there etc. Many of these clients needed a higher level of care than what they got in their mini-treatment. Seth being one of the bigger ones there. He had enough time to almost sort of kind of detox off the drugs he was on before sober living. No meaningful treatment activitities there. Steven, well we all know about him too. The facility keeping them there isn't ethical from my point of view knowing they should be in a higher level of care.

I have had to work with halfway houses (what the rest of us call sober living) with my clients. The reality is here in the real world they have rules. This drama stuff with Seth would have been nipped in the bud a long time ago at most places. Steve wouldn't be there. The hanging out in bars on a consistent basis would have likely led to discharge from the facility for many people. While facilities like this are inherantly filled with drama attempts are made to keep it at a minimum. Etc. This is not an accurate portrayal of what these facilities really are.
    I couldn't agree with you more. One of the biggest issues I have with the sober house is that the house manager is no where near strong enough in her own recovery to lead/manage others. Her antics after being hit by the paintball is a perfect example. She hasn't reached the point in her own recovery to control her tantrums and minimize the drama in a situation. She feeds off of it just as the others do. As evidenced by her willingness to go along with the allowed drama in the house.

Also, the scavenger hunt that Shifty led these people on in previous episodes was completely ridiculous and only allowed because the cameras were running. What we should've seen was them all sitting in a group being confronted on how quickly they fell into their using behaviors and how they failed to recognize relapse triggers and to create a plan of action which would separate themselves from the drama. Actually, the only person I can say that really did that was Steven, but then I read somewhere that he was imposed into the show and wasn't really there for the experience.

My boss hates this show. He owns a substance abuse treatment facility and a halfway house and was astounded when he overheard a co-worker and me discussing the show. I'm trying to be entertained while watching it, but it's becoming more and more difficult.

In my area, people in halfway houses are, for the most part, court-ordered to be there. Going to bars, clubs, and other places where using substances is common is not allowed. Ever. Actually, in halfway houses here (I'm in the midwest) clients cannot "hang out" together outside the house. That probably has more to do with the fact that most of these people are on probation or parole and it is a violation to associate with other people on probation or parole.

The more I think about it, they are allowed to go to work and straight back to the house. They occasionally earn weekend leave time, but that doesn't happen until they've settled into the house and prove they can follow all of the house rules. This sober house is far too relaxed regarding straight living to do any kind of good for these celebs. It's saddening, really.

I think it's wonderful to read posts in which people are abelt to say the mental health/addcition recovery services in their staes are well run and not like what is shown on Sober House. However, In many staes, such as New Hampshire, where I live, the mental health system (which includes addiction recovery) received a letter grading of D- for services during 2005-the last year rankings were available, through NAMI. There is little to no access to proper mental health and addcition recovery services in rural states such as New Hampshire. So, when i write that what is occuring on the show is `normal', in my experience it is. In fact, what is shown on Sober House in terms of treatment, would be several steps up, at least , for New Hampshire.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

I'm sure it is normal in some places. I don't believe it is ethical to be treating the clients as they are in their halfway house or in the treatment they had before hand. I think it's unethical to portray this as how it is supposed to be on TV. When the reality is in many places most of these clients would not have qualified for a halfway house and many would have been in higher levels of care from the get go not their little mini-treatment.

I live in a state that does not fund chemical dependency well and the services make do with what they get. And they still manage to at the very least be competent.

+ Reply to Thread