+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: True Beauty

Re: True Beauty

I didn't find anyone on this show to be all that hot to begin with. Some were more attractive than others, but on the whole not that great to me. I liked CJ the best as he seemed to take it all with a grain of salt and he wasn't as into himself as the rest of them are.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I really dislike the way Minillo moves her face when she talks. She really does pull some odd expressions.
    Tiegs looks like she had some plastic surgery on her face ...go horribly wrong.

I agree with those that didn't find this group all that attractive to begin with.
    It's ludicrous that they claim to be searching for "the most beautiful person in America".
    I'm sure there are plenty of more outwardly and inwardly attractive people than this crew.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3328032;
    I had the same reaction as you after Chelsea was eliminated and then it hit me that they already chose the winner for the cover based on outer beauty before they even taped the show and then they came up with the phoney inner beauty concept just as a hook to get people to watch the television show.
    You are SO right. They want to pick someone who won't embarrase them when they're in the magazine with all the other 'beautiful people'. Fixed from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3328060;
    I didn't find anyone on this show to be all that hot to begin with. Some were more attractive than others, but on the whole not that great to me. I liked CJ the best as he seemed to take it all with a grain of salt and he wasn't as into himself as the rest of them are.
    Ditto.
    That's the first thing that struck me when this show started. I don't think any of them are extraordinarily good looking, especially among people who seem to care a lot about looking good (e.g., models, pageant contestants, fitness buffs).
    And CJ stood out, partly because he seemed more real and down to earth. Yeah, he "failed" a couple of their "tests," but he seemed to be the only one who, from the start, defined "beauty" as more a matter of character than looks.

I also agree that the judges' concept of "inner beauty" seems to be mainly focused on being "nice," even to the point of being meek. CJ lost points for, IMO rightly, bitching in (he thought) private about not having input into the choice of which photos he wanted to represent him in a challenge. He lost more points for speaking up about that to the judges. He stood up for himself and for what he perceived as fairness and was knocked down for it. Had he just smiled and kept his opinions to himself, they'd have rated his "inner beauty" better. I don't agree that the "beauty pageant" demeanor of Julia represents "inner beauty" more than showing a little moxie now and then would.

I also agree with Fluff about Tiegs and Minillo. Tiegs's concept of "real beauty" seems to involve unwillingness to age gracefully and feel beautiful without major plastic surgery. Who knows what procedures Vanessa may have had done? Even a couple of their "true beauty" candidates are surgically enhanced. (Is silicone a major ingredient of "inner beauty?")
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    (Is silicone a major ingredient of "inner beauty?")

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    Billy is crazy about Laura, so his butt-ogling was totally normal and should have been expected. Not creepy....just "man normal". What is gross about his enjoying looking at the body of the woman that he is crazy about? I'd think it was strange if he wasn't looking.
    She's flirted with him, and nothing else that we've seen... not a lot of touching, nothing else to lead him on. He REEKS of desperation. He IS gross. Maybe it's just him... HE looks creepy when he stares like that.
    That's how I see him, gross. You don't have to agree!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz
    Laura doesn't have a lot of brains, but that's not the premise that they've been talking about for weeks. It's inner and outer beauty, with kindness (sometimes contrived) seeming to be the main factor they are looking for in regards to inner beauty. Having said that I don't think Laura is beautiful on the inside, but hopefully watching herself on this show and with some maturing she will grow to be more beautiful on the inside.

Exactly, this wasn't a "brains" competition. Again and againt the judges have chosen to focus on strange things to justify their boots for the week. Laura not getting that question is a prime example. There are plenty of people in this world who are truly beautiful, and wouldn't have had a clue what that question was about either. Sure, Laura has PLENTY of flaws, but she certainly had her good moments.
    I guess I liked Laura laughing because the montage deserved to be laughed at. I really wished she had just started laughing at the judges instead... someone needs to go off on them really... call them out. She's come the closest so far. The judges were sooooo serious, and here she was laughing. A great moment.

Oh, and just in case I forgot to mention it, Billy is a dork, is creepy and is really gross.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Most men only need flirting for encouragement. She did not rebuff his attention and, in fact, seemed to be flattered by his attention.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Laura totally reminded me of my daughter's best friend all through school. Debbie was little, cute, a cheerleader, and out to steal every guys heart--- or at least get his attention. She took other girls boyfriends without a second thought. It was a total control type thing, she didn't care for most of the guys, just flirted with them. And being the 'Laura' type, most guys were falling all over themselves for her! My daughter, being a better person than I could have ever been, just laughed good naturedly at Debbie, not bothered at all.

FORT Newbie

I actually think Billy should be the winner. First, he's won 4 out of I think 8 challenges. Julia has won none that I can remember. If the winner is going to be based on the entire journey, it should be Billy.

I know some people don't have a great impression of him. I look at him and see someone who came into a competition and competed. His focus on "details" about things in the physical competition like how far up a sit up goes, or the fact that Ray had several items in his box when Billy wanted to choose his bag - hell, I'd have brought up the same issues. In any competition everyone should be judged on the same criteria. It's just being fair. Billy reminds me of an athlete who assesses the rules and then tries to win as best he can within those rules.

And I'd also stress that we've been shown all this footage making us buy how "into themselves" these people are. But we don't know how many times the producers were standing behind the camera "urging" the performance they wanted so they could build a show.

One other thing about seeing these people standing in front of the mirror: they were brought in to this competition to compete for "most beautiful" - so how do we fault them for being aware of their appearance? A few weeks ago, they focused on Billy getting ready in the morning. The way he was talking about his regime, it was clear a producer was standing there asking questions and prompting him to talk about all that. He got flak for being "stuck up" but do we really think the other contestants don't go through the same process each morning too?

I liked the "idea" of the show, but I think the follow through has been the most disappointing. As many people have pointed out on this message board, the challenges weren't quite fair, and all for many different reasons. I get the feeling Ashton and Tyra got the green light for this and then left the details to some assistants right out of college or something. There just wasn't a lot of thought going in a lot of this. And the judges really bugged me the entire time. I got the sense that Tiegs was being silenced a lot. I had no idea who Nole was before this. And Vanessa has come across terribly - smug, judgmental... Maybe she was playing for drama with some of her line readings but it came across holier than thou.

I really enjoy reality tv. But you can see when it succeeds it's because good tv people have thought it through. This seems very thrown together.

One last thing I'll mention. I've been very aware of the lack of attention the show and cast members have gotten. Since this IS a network TV show, I was surprised. Then I found out the publicity department handling the show told the contestants they could do practically NO press. This was apparently because the producers didn't want the contestants to appear to "campaign". But the odd thing about that is the public isn't voting on this at all, so who cares if Julia or Billy or CJ did an interview along the way? It wouldn't affect the outcome at all. It just seems like another misstep by a very green production team. More press and attention would have put the show out there more. (Now whether it deserves it or not is another story - I'm making the comment just as an example of mistakes made along the way).
    Last edited by truthInBeauty; 02-21-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Very interesting, insightful post with great observations! I agree with you about Billy and his tendency to assess the rules and then try to win as best he can within those rules. I'm trying to remember when I started doing things like that. Where I worked, there were lots of rules, and it was fun watching the creativity that went into circumventing/manipulating the rules, but remaining within the "law". I learned a lot during those years! And they have served me well in everyday life. That kind of behavior definitely shows you which people are thinking on their feet, and which ones are "afraid to color outside of the lines"!

, truthinBeauty!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If these three idiots are the "greatest beauties, inner and outer" in our land... then I'm moving.

Billy seems often to talk just to hear himself speak. He puts on a big "aw shucks" act, but its just that. An act. The people who accused him of being fake? Got it dead on.

Ray is an ass supreme. He's a real mean piece of work from what I can tell.

Julia isn't that bad, but she's really kind of a typical Texas Pageant girl. That probably makes her the best of these three, but it also makes her kind of boring.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread