+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: True Beauty

Re: True Beauty

I'm thrilled that Laura was kicked off. She is almost as dumb as a stump and sent a bad message that being pretty on the outside is all that matters in life. While they ran the clips of her nastiness throughout the series she barely even tried to stifle her laughter. Then she walks out claiming to be a nice person.

Once again the tests and judging were poor. When Joel was asked about the difference between his appearance and Billy's, he only answered honestly. There was nothing malicious about his comments, but they still said he failed the test. On the red carpet he seemed to work the crowd well, but was worn out by the time he reached the judges at the end. Laura barely talked at all, Billy repeated the same thing to each person and Julia mostly let her mom do the talking. At least Joel made more of an effort than the rest and was Aston's mom's favorite which wasn't even taken into consideration. What was the point of her being there?

Cheryl and Nole's holier than thou attitude is grating. Next week is the last and I can't say I'm sorry. I predict that Julia will win even though she appears to be shockingly fake.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill;3314208;
    I missed the episode, and can't believe they booted Chelsea. She is SO much nicer than that herd of Mean Girls and that unbelievable narcissist tool Joel...

Ray is clearly the only decent contestant left.
    I sort of agree.
    The only contestants on True Beauty that I really cared a whit whether I ever saw again were CJ, Chelsea, and Billy. The others were, are, all either turn-offs or generic pretty faces.

Right now the only reason I'm watching is that a) I'm multitasking, b) I've already watched my shows on Comedy Central and MSNBC for tonight, and c) Billy is still in the running.

I would be neither surprised nor disappointed to see Chelsea and CJ pop up again in the public eye at some time. Chelsea is quirky, cute, funny and memorable. CJ, while a bit impulsive and hotheaded at times, is both beautiful an a very impressive work in progress, personally.

Billy is a bit of a workaholic and health nut, perhaps -- he is, after all, over (shudder!) 30 -- but he seems like a very decent guy and more than just a pretty face.

On the whole, though, I'm disappointed in this show. I love the concept! But the 3 judges are a letdown. Cheryl Tiegs seems so plastic, Stepford-Wife-ish, and über-altered (surgically). The chubby guy seems an odd pick for someone judging physical beauty. (It's like the tone-deaf judge evaluating who's "pitchy.") And the other judge, what's-her-name?, comes off to me as too full of herself (and her own "inner beauty" and class) and pretentious. Especially since (pedant alert!!!) she continually abuses the English language by saying things like "you will meet Cheryl, Noelly and I in the hall of beauty."

I don't know exactly what it is, but she kind of bugs me. It's like she fancies herself a cut above everyone else both physically and inside, and she comes off as quite condescending. (And that's why the bad grammar is so grating to me. It doesn't bother me much when used by your average Joe, but when it's used by someone holding himself/herself up as a paragon of sorts, it stands out like a sore thumb.)

Anyhow, I would love to see this show concept done better. With more consistently reasonable "challenges"/contests and test situations.

Maybe next season?

PS:
    Maybe Billy will end up the winner. That would be cool.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3317160;
    Am I misremembering the street person as a man when it was a woman?

But does it really matter what gender the homeless person was? Because most parents would teach their little girls to NOT approach ANY homeless person on the street. In some extreme cases with more cautious parents, maybe to not approach ANY stranger on the street. To not take ANY needless risk with their physical safety. A guy wouldn't have been raised that way. Ergo, a test which depends on approaching a stranger favors the male contestants. It's not a matter of "morals" like the show wants to pose it. It's a matter of perception of personal safety.
    You make a good point, Krom.

I've also noticed that not all the "tests" have been on the same level. E.g., the one where the staff person was talking on her cell phone about personal-life problems vs. the one where the little girl was sobbing in the street.
    I mean, give me a break! What normal, halfway-human person would not be moved by a child crying bitterly in the street? But an adult, on the job, interrupting their work to take a phone call about personal issues? Why is it so 'inhuman" for someone to take the position that this is inappropriate behavior? These are not comparable "inner beauty" tests at all, IMO.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

OMG the nastiest person of them all is still around. Joel?

He will probably win cause one of the judges appears to be in love with him.
    Last edited by CrazyDutchWoman; 02-17-2009 at 08:55 AM.

This show started out with such promise--what happened? Nobody they selected has 'true beauty', so there isnt really a qualified winner amongst them! And when confronted with their short comings, they either laugh like the one last night, or waltz off mumbling, I am too a nice person!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I loved it when Laura was laughing at her "clips of nastiness"... maybe she saw the ridiculousness of the situation as much as the rest of us have. So, props to Laura.
    So funny that her inability to understand a muddled question somehow makes her ugly on the inside? What is not being as intelligent as another somehow make you ugly?

I can't believe for the life of me that Billy won that competition. His constant "humble me" speech was far more unappealing and annoying than Laura's incapability at one point to understand a really stupid question. I'm surprised he didn't show anyone the powerbar in his sock.
    Cheryl must really have it hard for him for him to actually WIN.
    All the shots of him staring at Laura's butt were sooooo creepy too... he's just so gross.

Best part of the show was Cheryl's dismay and shock when she said in her high pitched whiny voice, "Laura was going to throw Billy under a bus..." as though she truly believed Laura was literally going to throw him under a bus.

This show is so funny... next week when Billy wins, I'm going to

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I took Laura's laughing as a self-acknowledgment of her snottiness and bad behavior, and slight embarrassement at having been busted. I think she lost the red carpet competition because she showed herself to be a person who could not carry on a conversation unless someone else was carrying the main weight of the conversation. She's a sawdust head. What good do looks do you if you have nothing to back them up? There was nothing that difficult said on their red carpet last night.

Ashton Kutcher and his mother look alike and have the same haircut. Come on, Mom....you can do better!

Billy is crazy about Laura, so his butt-ogling was totally normal and should have been expected. Not creepy....just "man normal". What is gross about his enjoying looking at the body of the woman that he is crazy about? I'd think it was strange if he wasn't looking.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

This show is getting more and more ridiculous each week. I don't think a lot of their "test" are good ones. While Laura isn't perhaps a good conversationalist it may be something she will grow into. She's very young and I know that with age I was able to improve my conversational abilities a great deal even between 21 and 24. And while they said Julia and her mother were fake I think they just speak with pageants in mind, but seemed to genuinely care about the people. Like last week when Julia reached out to the kid sitting by himself. She's not completely self-obsorbed. And they are the only ones who helped the woman with her dress. Of course this was slanted towards the girls as I can well imagine that a guy would have more trouble dealing with it. It's not like he could/should pull it down for her like a girl could.

I also think prhoshay that Laura was slightly embarrassed with her behavior and her laughter was just nervousness.

Laura doesn't have a lot of brains, but that's not the premise that they've been talking about for weeks. It's inner and outer beauty, with kindness (sometimes contrived) seeming to be the main factor they are looking for in regards to inner beauty. Having said that I don't think Laura is beautiful on the inside, but hopefully watching herself on this show and with some maturing she will grow to be more beautiful on the inside.

As fake as Julia sometimes seems to me I don't see how it could be anyone but her winning. IIRC she has been the most consistant one of the three in not failing their challanges, and has she ever had to go the hall of beauty? She had a few catty moments early on, but I have a better overall impression of her than the other two. Joel should not win for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3326811;
    This show started out with such promise--what happened? Nobody they selected has 'true beauty', so there isnt really a qualified winner amongst them! And when confronted with their short comings, they either laugh like the one last night, or waltz off mumbling, I am too a nice person!
    I had the same reaction as you after Chelsea was eliminated and then it hit me that they already chose the winner for the cover based on outer beauty before they even taped the show and then they came up with the phoney inner beauty concept just as a hook to get people to watch the television show.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;3326535;
    And the other judge, what's-her-name?, comes off to me as too full of herself (and her own "inner beauty" and class) and pretentious. Especially since (pedant alert!!!) she continually abuses the English language by saying things like "you will meet Cheryl, Noelly and I in the hall of beauty."

I don't know exactly what it is, but she kind of bugs me. It's like she fancies herself a cut above everyone else both physically and inside, and she comes off as quite condescending. (And that's why the bad grammar is so grating to me. It doesn't bother me much when used by your average Joe, but when it's used by someone holding himself/herself up as a paragon of sorts, it stands out like a sore thumb.)
    ITA.
    That's Vanessa.
    When the judges were on Tyra's show introducing the True Beauty show, she was going on about how she was ALWAYS taught to be a beautiful, humble person. She told a story from not long ago when she was in a dressing room and someone asked her if she would like something to drink and she requested water and her dad made her go get her own water, blah,blah blah.
    It seemed very over the top.

+ Reply to Thread