+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: True Beauty

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: True Beauty

Not really getting your point.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3316968;
    Not really getting your point.
    I read it as saying the door challenge was actually designed to favor the women, as most parents tell their girls to stay away from strange men.

So not all the challenges were biased toward one sex?

But please correct me if I am wrong, Krom.

I am wondering if they are balancing the challenges so that one type favors males, the other females. But either could be won by the non-traditional strength sex?????

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3317027;
    I read it as saying the door challenge was actually designed to favor the women, as most parents tell their girls to stay away from strange men.

So not all the challenges were biased toward one sex?

But please correct me if I am wrong, Krom.

I am wondering if they are balancing the challenges so that one type favors males, the other females. But either could be won by the non-traditional strength sex?????
    Am I misremembering the street person as a man when it was a woman?

But does it really matter what gender the homeless person was? Because most parents would teach their little girls to NOT approach ANY homeless person on the street. In some extreme cases with more cautious parents, maybe to not approach ANY stranger on the street. To not take ANY needless risk with their physical safety. A guy wouldn't have been raised that way. Ergo, a test which depends on approaching a stranger favors the male contestants. It's not a matter of "morals" like the show wants to pose it. It's a matter of perception of personal safety.
    Last edited by Krom; 02-11-2009 at 11:14 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3317160;

But does it really matter what gender the homeless person was? Because most parents would teach their little girls to NOT approach ANY homeless person on the street. In some extreme cases with more cautious parents, maybe to not approach ANY stranger on the street. To not take ANY needless risk with their physical safety. A guy wouldn't have been raised that way. Ergo, a test which depends on approaching a stranger favors the male contestants. It's not a matter of "morals" like the show wants to pose it. It's a matter of perception of personal safety.
    ITA. They need to find some 'tests' that really measure goodness.. not if people feel comfortable approaching a homeless man. I would not be comfortable doing that.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Didn't watch this week. And I'm glad I didn't. This show is rediculously stupid now.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

The best thing about this show are the weird looks on Cheryl Tiegs' face! What a hoot!!!! We laugh our heads off!!!!!! They could have done just as well with a couple of different photos of her! Maybe she's drunk!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I agree too. And it's happened more than once... the water spray challenge was also a prime example where it benefitted the guy. The guy gets a bit of spray on his pants, the girl gets spray on her bare legs and it could be misconstrued as a sexual thing.
    The "helping the girl on the street" challenge would have benifitted a female contestant, but it was two males up that time anyway. Ugh, it still bugs me that CJ handled that situation SO much better than Billy (who asked the girl to 'come with me') but the judges ignored that. Urgh.

Ahhhh. I see. I didn't see the homeless person part, so I misread. I see now. You were saying that society in general tends to teach females to be more cautious than males. So anything to have to do with strangers might favor the males who have a perception of safety.

Interesting point. But then again, society tends to view women as more nurturing. Perhaps being more willing to help someone who is in need? I wonder which would prevail. Safety or nurturing? hmmm

Am I the only one who watched this tonight?! I stumbled onto it when channel surfing, I thought it was coming on Tuesdays now. Anywhooo... it was ok. The last four had to go to a 'Celebrity Red Carpet' type event where they were judged on how they presented themselves and how they looked of course. The 'catch' was that they were paired up with a *surprise* date---- their mothers, or in Billy's case, his father since his mom couldn't make it. Ashton Kutcher's mother was there (at the red carpet event) as an independent hidden judge of their character and actions. One trial they had to overcome was a woman who had too much to drink who had her skirt tucked up in her undies--- would the contestants and parents help the poor 'lady' out?! Among giggles, the Beauty Queen (can't remember these people's names!) and her mom stepped up to the plate and helped untuck the unfortunate one. As an extra 'test' the show had an actor who posed as a fashion designer call each of the four into a room (this was before the red carpet event) and try to get each of them to talk down the other three. Joel failed when he talked about how Billy's muscles were synthetic, but his were real. And Laura failed when she admitted to leading Billy on) After all was over, the really interesting part of the show was when the three judges really seemed to get into an honest disagreement about who they thought did the best job at the red carpet event. Sorry about my problem with names here folks! But the main judge REALLY liked how Joel handled himself out there. But the Noe and Cheryl fought hard for Billy. All agreed that the Beauty Queen seemed ok,but like she was selling herself. And all agreed that Laura just sells herself... So Laura and Joel end up in the house of beauty(with no final test to pass). Laura left. Not very happy because she didn't think 'they saw the real me'. Even after they showed her the tape of her underhanded dealings. Next week is the final and we find out who is the prettiest of them all-- if anyone still cares by that time! Hope this helps for anyone who missed tonights show.

omfg, Laura left? Wow, this show has the worst elimination order EVER! I'm glad I dropped out a few weeks ago.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread