+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: confessions of a teen idol

Re: confessions of a teen idol

I don't understand Eric's deal with taking off his shirt.
    He (& his brother) actually posed NAKED for famed photographer Bruce Weber's book, "Bear Pond".

Bet he got paid for that too (it just didn't go to charity).

I completely understood where Eric was coming from. Imagine that as a young woman you were, say, a Hooters waitress or exotic dancer or something that used only your looks, but then went on to be maybe a personal trainer and nutritionist and left your previous life behind. Imagine doing a similar charity auction where you offered a set of training sessions to the highest bidder and, instead, men started offering you money to take off your top. How would you feel? Doesn't matter if it's for charity or not. It's demeaning. Frankly, I think the whole thing with women objectifying men like that has gotten a little ugly. Just because some men act that way, doesn't mean it's right and that women should do it too. I felt really uncomfortable for Eric when those women started screaming at him to take off his shirt. I thought it was just really disrespectful.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3304971;
    I completely understood where Eric was coming from. Imagine that as a young woman you were, say, a Hooters waitress or exotic dancer or something that used only your looks, but then went on to be maybe a personal trainer and nutritionist and left your previous life behind. Imagine doing a similar charity auction where you offered a set of training sessions to the highest bidder and, instead, men started offering you money to take off your top. How would you feel? Doesn't matter if it's for charity or not. It's demeaning. Frankly, I think the whole thing with women objectifying men like that has gotten a little ugly. Just because some men act that way, doesn't mean it's right and that women should do it too. I felt really uncomfortable for Eric when those women started screaming at him to take off his shirt. I thought it was just really disrespectful.
    I think that this whole reality tv based comeback might make the guys feel even more self conscious than they all ready do! Not so great for the moral! I can't say that the show is trying to help them or just make a dime off them.

FORT Fogey

I would feel for him if a man without a shirt was not ok in society. Now if they asked him to take his underwear off, and noone stood up and helped him out of the situation fine, but come on a shirt off a guy not a big deal. He should have laughed and taken his shirt and shoes off, and than if it did not stop there gotten mad.

The woman at the charity auction obviously watched Eric on MTV.
    If you ever saw Eric Nies on The Grind, he regularly took his shirt off.
    Even Queen Latifah asked him how much they paid him to show off his nipples.

I remember The Grind, which was, what, a dozen years ago? Just because he did it then, doesn't mean he should have to do it forever. He has clearly gone through a lot and has changed A LOT. Doesn't matter if it's socially acceptable for a man to take his shirt off in public. Those women screaming at him to take off his shirt for money were treating him like an object and it was obviously making him very uncomfortable: it was clearly a big deal to him. It was the equivalent of men screaming "Show us your t***!" at a woman. Their behavior was disrespectful and I don't blame him one bit for being upset or for leaving the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Did anyone else watch last night?

Eric is back, big surprise.

I understand that he may have been offended to have been treated like a piece of meat, but I didn't understand why he left the house. It was the women in the audience of the auction who were asking him to remove his clothing, it really wasn't part of the show imo.

Anywhoodle, Jeremy is very upset that the "Gatekeepers" don't see him as a Hollywood A-lister is training. I guess he thinks if Leonardo DiCaprio can go from Growing Pains to the A-list, why can't he? (Talent and paying your dues mostly, but don't try to tell him that.)

I think Eric just wanted to be OUT of the situation at that moment and then, after he had some time to think, realized that he really did want to be in the house. I'm glad he's back.

I think Jeremy needs to learn some humility and, like one of the guys said, do some growing up. Probably has something to do with his drug use (his lack of emotional maturity, I mean). I'd be completely put off by that behavior if I was a casting director. Not like he was that great an actor to begin with, so he needs to get a grip and start listening to the people who are trying to help him.

Chris has always been pretty enthusiastic throughout this process. I wonder why he was so "blah" in that meeting with the Gatekeepers.

David has been kind of a jerk, but I agree with the Gatekeepers about his charisma. He's the one who presented himself in the best light and he did well in the reading when they were working on their pitch. I also think Chris has lots of potential if he could get over his nerves or whatever that was. Billy's meeting was just "huh?" I just wanted to slap my hand over his mouth and tell him to stop. It was like a train wreck.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

I finally got around to watching the latest eppy. So glad that Eric came back, I knew he would. It was nice to see how happy all of the guys were. It was cute. On the other hand, not impressed with Jeremy at all. He is way to into himself and can't listen to any kind of criticism. Its a shame because I do think he has the potential to make a comeback. I thought it was funny when Eric said he needed to put a diaper on.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3315585;
    On the other hand, not impressed with Jeremy at all. He is way to into himself and can't listen to any kind of criticism. Its a shame because I do think he has the potential to make a comeback. I thought it was funny when Eric said he needed to put a diaper on.
    I never knew he was here to begin with. I never really watched Baywatch (I think that was the show he was on). I tried watching the show a couple of times, but it felt like the actors could be wearing paper bags over their heads and the show would still be of the same "quality."

+ Reply to Thread