+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Secret Millionaire

Re: Secret Millionaire

Tonight's show with the successful artist and his teen daughter who'd never been exposed to anything like poverty or disadvantaged, was pretty inspiring. They seemed to do a lot of good in the New Jersey area they spent time in. I especially appreciated the light shed on veterans who suffer.
    I'm not sure if this show will be one that I watch regularly, but for tonight it was perfect.

FORT Fogey

On Saturday, they showed reruns from last season. One millionaire had grown up poor, and sometimes just had popcorn for dinner. They showed her eating popcorn for a meal on the show. But, she only gave $20,000 to a soup kitchen. She gave $40,000 to a music school. A millionaire couple gave $100,000 to an exercise center for people with serious health problems. Many men with HIV work out at that center. They then gave $250,000 to a place that provides horseback rides for autistic young adults. Why are some people and organizations considered more deserving than others?

FORT Fogey

At the beginning of the show, when the artist asked the homeless guy if the soup kitchen did anything else besides feed the homeless... he didn't understand how important feeding people is. The artist said, "just" meals?... but, providing food for hungry people is a lot. Also, the artist just thought helping homeless veterans was a worthy cause... when actually ALL people deserve a home. I don't think he did anything to help the first guy that he talked to, who was a non-veteran homeless guy.
    ButterflyFaery likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    At the beginning of the show, when the artist asked the homeless guy if the soup kitchen did anything else besides feed the homeless... he didn't understand how important feeding people is. The artist said, "just" meals?... but, providing food for hungry people is a lot. Also, the artist just thought helping homeless veterans was a worthy cause... when actually ALL people deserve a home. I don't think he did anything to help the first guy that he talked to, who was a non-veteran homeless guy.
    ITA most people don't realize how important food is until they don't have any nor can they get any and when you don't have it, it seems to be all you think about
    Allie likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

On Saturday, they showed reruns from last season. One millionaire had grown up poor, and sometimes just had popcorn for dinner. They showed her eating popcorn for a meal on the show. But, she only gave $20,000 to a soup kitchen. She gave $40,000 to a music school. A millionaire couple gave $100,000 to an exercise center for people with serious health problems. Many men with HIV work out at that center. They then gave $250,000 to a place that provides horseback rides for autistic young adults. Why are some people and organizations considered more deserving than others?
    It is all in the eyes of the philanthropist. If everyone only donated food to the hungry it would not make an interesting show, for starters. There are many who need money. Personally I would like a facelift and think I deserve one!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    ITA most people don't realize how important food is until they don't have any nor can they get any and when you don't have it, it seems to be all you think about
    The artist likely has no idea what it's like to be hungry. He must have always been successful as an artist. He likely never struggled to get enough money for food. At least there are soup kitchens for those who are the least fortunate.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

People give to charities that strike some sort of chord with them. For instance, there are a lot of medical charities that are deserving, but people can't give to them all, so they typically choose ones that have a personal meaning to them.

I could understand the $40,000 gift to the music school. As the millionaire said, it was a "generational" charity. The food kitchen and the woman who gives sick kids dream bedrooms helps people in the present. The music school not only gives kids music lessons and keeps them off the streets and out of gangs (a here-and-now benefit), but many of these kids apparently end up getting scholarships and going to college - something that will lift these kids out of poverty (and their kids, the next generation will be better off).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    People give to charities that strike some sort of chord with them. For instance, there are a lot of medical charities that are deserving, but people can't give to them all, so they typically choose ones that have a personal meaning to them. I could understand the $40,000 gift to the music school. As the millionaire said, it was a "generational" charity. The food kitchen and the woman who gives sick kids dream bedrooms helps people in the present. The music school not only gives kids music lessons and keeps them off the streets and out of gangs (a here-and-now benefit), but many of these kids apparently end up getting scholarships and going to college - something that will lift these kids out of poverty (and their kids, the next generation will be better off).
    I thought the music school students were just talented enough for music to be a hobby. And, since people supposedly give to charities that strike a chord with them... why didn't the popcorn lady donate the most amount of money to the soup kitchen?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567