+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Secret Millionaire

Re: Secret Millionaire

I love this show and I know its objective is to help people..but with the economy the way it is...most people don't realize how bad it has hurt the animals industry also...I am not speaking of the big groups that get help like the ASPCA and stuff...I am talking about the little mom and pop groups that do this out of the goodness of their hearts so these animals dont' have to be put to sleep and all these groups depend on are donations and foster homes for the animals and they pay tons out of their own money to help these innocent creatures...I would like to see just one person out of all of these that visit and help with one of these small groups....and how hard it is for them and what they go without just to get these animals the vet care they need not to mention food and shelter...I am not saying that they have to give a big amount..but I think they would find that even a small amount since most of these small individual groups have deals worked out with vets for lower costs..that even a small amount of 5K or 10K would make such a HUGE DIFFERENCE to these people and animals...it could provide medical care and get so many of them spayed and nuetered...I know the people need help but I dont' think how many people realize that since the economy went so bad how many people had to give up their pets because they couldn't feed them...most of the small groups set up stands at repetable pet stores on weekends trying to raise money and get animals adopted..I would love to see just one person care as much about the animals as they do the people...not saying thet helping the people is NOT important..but the animals need it too
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I love this show and I know its objective is to help people..but with the economy the way it is...most people don't realize how bad it has hurt the animals industry also...I am not speaking of the big groups that get help like the ASPCA and stuff...I am talking about the little mom and pop groups that do this out of the goodness of their hearts so these animals dont' have to be put to sleep and all these groups depend on are donations and foster homes for the animals and they pay tons out of their own money to help these innocent creatures...I would like to see just one person out of all of these that visit and help with one of these small groups....and how hard it is for them and what they go without just to get these animals the vet care they need not to mention food and shelter...I am not saying that they have to give a big amount..but I think they would find that even a small amount since most of these small individual groups have deals worked out with vets for lower costs..that even a small amount of 5K or 10K would make such a HUGE DIFFERENCE to these people and animals...it could provide medical care and get so many of them spayed and nuetered...I know the people need help but I dont' think how many people realize that since the economy went so bad how many people had to give up their pets because they couldn't feed them...most of the small groups set up stands at repetable pet stores on weekends trying to raise money and get animals adopted..I would love to see just one person care as much about the animals as they do the people...not saying thet helping the people is NOT important..but the animals need it too
    Very well stated and hearfelt Butterfly. I feel the same way. Hopefully one of the future featured millionaires on this show will think like we do

FORT Fogey

There seems to be a pecking order on this show of who is the most worthy, the most deserving of help. I've only watched two episodes. Have there been any segments on any of the shows about donating to animal shelters? Even before they gave the amounts of which organization got how much on the most recent show, I knew that those helping babies would get more than those feeding hungry adults. On the other show that I watched, I think the program that provided music lessons to children got more than the people who feed poor, hungry adults.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    There seems to be a pecking order on this show of who is the most worthy, the most deserving of help. I've only watched two episodes. Have there been any segments on any of the shows about donating to animal shelters? Even before they gave the amounts of which organization got how much on the most recent show, I knew that those helping babies would get more than those feeding hungry adults. On the other show that I watched, I think the program that provided music lessons to children got more than the people who feed poor, hungry adults.
    Poor adults aren't as cute I figured out at one point. Everyone get warm fuzzies from helping children because they're helpless victims. People tend to look at adults as putting themselves in their bad positions (regardless of what the story is). It's a huge uphill battle to secure funding for programs serving just adults.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Poor adults aren't as cute I figured out at one point. Everyone get warm fuzzies from helping children because they're helpless victims. People tend to look at adults as putting themselves in their bad positions (regardless of what the story is). It's a huge uphill battle to secure funding for programs serving just adults.
    The guy who got the beauty treatment from the Beauty Bus has Lou Gehrig's disease. He's as helpless as a child, but the Beauty Bus only got $10,000. The house for the single mothers got $50,000. About warm fuzzies... a state was running out of money to pay for health care for low income children, so they had a special election: the voters voted against the bill, but legislators decided to overturn the voter's decision.

The guy who got the beauty treatment from the Beauty Bus has Lou Gehrig's disease. He's as helpless as a child, but the Beauty Bus only got $10,000. The house for the single mothers got $50,000. About warm fuzzies... a state was running out of money to pay for health care for low income children, so they had a special election: the voters voted against the bill, but legislators decided to overturn the voter's decision.
    Most logical people can look at people with issues like ALS or dementia and issues like that and realize that there are deserving adults but society as a whole acts with little logic and groups all people together. I hear it every day about "those people" on welfare and "those drug addicted home less people" and how they don't need help. Even in an economy like this where people are losing their jobs people still look at other adults "as those people who didn't work hard enough." Doesn't matter if someone has a disease or a real issue either. They get lumped into "those people."

Services are cut to the most vulnerable populations with the smallest voices here. Here they wouldn't ever dream of cutting health care to children. They will, however, look at the disabled population, the low income adult population etc. There would be an absolute uprising here if they tried to cut health care to children. Hardly a soul says a word when it's adults with issues on the chopping block.

Helping kids makes people feel good. They make for good photo opportunities and great advertising. Adults with life altering dieases and various social issues just aren't as cute. It sucks but that's how society plays it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I agree. I volunteer for a dog rescue organization and a lot of the money that supports us comes from us, who work directly with these dogs!

At the register in Petsmart, Petco and other chains, know that when you are asked to donate, as you pay, the money goes directly to local rescue places, not to bigger operations who support a board of directors or any employees. Every dollar counts in a big way.
    Last edited by shoepie; 04-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Most logical people can look at people with issues like ALS or dementia and issues like that and realize that there are deserving adults but society as a whole acts with little logic and groups all people together. I hear it every day about "those people" on welfare and "those drug addicted home less people" and how they don't need help. Even in an economy like this where people are losing their jobs people still look at other adults "as those people who didn't work hard enough." Doesn't matter if someone has a disease or a real issue either. They get lumped into "those people." Services are cut to the most vulnerable populations with the smallest voices here. Here they wouldn't ever dream of cutting health care to children. They will, however, look at the disabled population, the low income adult population etc. There would be an absolute uprising here if they tried to cut health care to children. Hardly a soul says a word when it's adults with issues on the chopping block. Helping kids makes people feel good. They make for good photo opportunities and great advertising. Adults with life altering dieases and various social issues just aren't as cute. It sucks but that's how society plays it.
    Where I am, the voters voted against a ballot initiative to fund health care for poor children. The bill wasn't for single mothers: it's for low-income married couples... but, the top politicians allocate money based on who THEY think is worthy. I don't think people lump those with ALS into the same cateogory as drug-addicted homeless, because those with ALS can't improve their situation. Also, I see a lot of sympathy for homeless adults. I saw a man take a slice of pizza out of a box and give it to a man sitting in a doorway. I've heard a lot of people make concerned comments about the homeless who live under a freeway overpass. But what can people do, it's the politicians who control the purse strings.

There was a woman with a baby in a stroller who sat outside a health food store where I used to shop. The first time that I saw her, I got her some food from the store. She was outside that store for months. I ended up being desensitized to her plight. I wasn't shocked when I saw the pregnant teenagers on the TV show. There aren't just one or two teenagers like those on the TV show... from what I've read, there are millions just like them. I think those teenage girls are much more in control of their destinies than any homeless adult, whether drug-addicted or not.

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Why did the house for single, teenage mothers get the most money? The beauty bus only got $10,000, and the restaurant only got $10,000. The homeless young people got less than the single mothers. The teenage girls knew what could/would happen when they chose to have intercourse. The sick adults and the poor, hungry adults didn't "choose" their circumstances. Why are single, teenage mothers more deserving than everyone else?
    Because the money was hers and she has a right to give it to whomever she wishes. Maybe the idea of young mothers with babies on the streets is dear to her heart.

I'm really surprised by the reaction to this show. I think it's a wonderful reminder to people that there are so many people in the US and Canada who are dearly in need and we don't even acknowledge them though they can live right around the block. The true heroes in these stories are the ones dedicating their lives to help people in a very real way. I find it truly inspiring.

When people are starving on the streets... suffering needlessly due to disease... whatever reasons, I find it a priority.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Because the money was hers and she has a right to give it to whomever she wishes. Maybe the idea of young mothers with babies on the streets is dear to her heart. I'm really surprised by the reaction to this show. I think it's a wonderful reminder to people that there are so many people in the US and Canada who are dearly in need and we don't even acknowledge them though they can live right around the block. The true heroes in these stories are the ones dedicating their lives to help people in a very real way. I find it truly inspiring. When people are starving on the streets... suffering needlessly due to disease... whatever reasons, I find it a priority.
    From what I've read about reality TV, it's not what it appears to be. Producers tell people what to say; conversations are spliced together; and they show what they want to show. With editing, they can leave out major aspects of what's really going on. The producers could have told the millionaires how they wanted the money distributed: the producers likely have an agenda.

What I see in everyday life, is that people are concerned with adults who are poor, hungry, homeless... but people in general don't have the money or the influence to help the less fortunate. Millionaires, politicians, and TV producers have the money and influence to decide who gets help.

What was the point of putting the baby in the millionaire's arms? Maybe the producers thought that it would help convince the millionaire to give more money to the home for unwed mothers.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 04-16-2011 at 03:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast