+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Secret Millionaire

Re: Secret Millionaire

I, too noticed that "G" did not give away $100,000 and wondered why. I've seen him and his family before on TV, perhaps on Oprah when she was doing a milliionaire's show? I wasn't impressed with his sincerity with the people he enountered. I felt a definite coolness or don't care attitude. It seemed to be more about him.

I've now seen 3 of the 4 shows (4th remains on tape to be watched) and while I was very enthusiastic about the first show I watched (Watts/Los Angeles), I see a sameness and scriptedness to them that turns me off. Seems like each millionnaire says the same thing at the same time. I think the premise is great; it's the execution that needs some work. I much preferred Oprah's "Big Give" (or whatever it was called) where we were able to get much more involved with the people and their tasks.

And I do agree that the amount these "milliionaires" are giving away is a pittance when considering their net worth. Much to do about nothing overall.

FORT Newbie

You were correct, he only gave away $90k. I thought "G" was pretty cheap considering the previous donations that were made and if I'm not mistaken he has the highest net worth so far.

I thought in this episode, there were much more deserving people and the amount should have been higher. That Asian lady with $20-$30k would have changed her life. $10k is just a "start". The Rapheal House could have used $100k as well, not too many Charities actually provided living accommodations.

Quote Originally Posted by syee77;3249823;
    Just watched the episode with "G" who sold his company to Yahoo for $300 million.

My wife noticed that "G" only gave $90K away instead of $100K (which is the stated minimum in the FOX website for Secret Millionaire). If I recall correctly he made two $35K donations to two charities, and gave two $10K donations to individuals. I was wondering if anyone else caught that?

Also, can someone check my math. $100,000 donation divided by $300 million = 100,000/300,000,000 = .0033. In other words, for a guy who is worth $300 million, to give away $100,000 is pocket change.

Or, to put it another way, if I had a $100,000, and I gave away $33 I would be giving away proportionately the same amount of money as this guy does on the show. Hmmm -- this multi-millionaire doesn't look so generous now.

By the way, before anyone criticizes me, my wife and I regularly donate about $6000 to charity each year -- and we are no where close to being millionaires. I say next season FOX should challenge these multi-millionaires to give away $250,000 or 1% of their net worth (whichever is more).

I just hope that these millionaires keep on supporting these charities for many years to come.

I missed the first show, but saw the others.

I think they should tone the millionaires down a little more. Just putting on jeans and t-shirts and removing jewelry isn’t enough. Makeup, haircuts, dental work and diction say a lot. I know they can't knock their teeth out, but still . . . The Katrina couple should have had a raggedy truck.

My biggest problem was the guy “G” - $300M Man gave away a whole $90k. And what the heck was up with the visit from his sister? For what? So she could sit in his room, cry a little, hug, and say “I know you’ll make the right decision” then get back in a taxi? What a generous waste of time.
    Last edited by tango7; 12-15-2008 at 12:36 AM.

I think I'd like this show a little more if there was some lasting change from the millionaires or something. Where it showed a long period of time and what they actually learned and did for charity instead of just cutting a check which is essentially a tax write off.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3251764;
    I think I'd like this show a little more if there was some lasting change from the millionaires or something. Where it showed a long period of time and what they actually learned and did for charity instead of just cutting a check which is essentially a tax write off.
    This is also the problem I have with the show.

The show was filmed back in March & April so they could have had a 5 minute segement at the end of the shows to show what the millionaires have done in the ensuing months and that it really did have a lasting effect on them.

Also if you notice, maybe the 1st one, but since then, all of the millionaires are people who made their own money. I would have liked to have seen someone that had money all their life do this......someone like Caroline Kennedy. She is now wanting to be a senator, and yet hasn't ever worked a day in her life. I would like to see how she would cope.

Quote Originally Posted by pmzqqzmp;3253797;
    someone like Caroline Kennedy. She is now wanting to be a senator, and yet hasn't ever worked a day in her life. I would like to see how she would cope.
    Caroline Kennedy has far from never worked a day in her life.
    Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg Biography - Biography.com
    . Caroline performed well in New York private school, and went on to attend Radcliffe College (now part of Harvard) for her undergraduate work. In addition to her studies, the young Kennedy interned for the New York Daily News and worked in the summers as a political intern for her uncle Ted.

After earning her bachelor's degree in 1979, Caroline worked at the Metropolitan Museum of Art where she met her future husband, an interactive-media designer named Edwin Schlossberg. She also began serving as the president of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to providing financial support, staffing, and creative resources for the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
    Interested in politics, but not the limelight, Caroline quietly entered Columbia Law School. She graduated with little fanfare in 1988, during a private pre-commencement ceremony along with 380 other students. That same year, she gave birth to her first child, Rose. In 1989, the young lawyer stayed busy by establishing the Profile in Courage Awards, which honors elected officials who have shown political courage, and beginning research on her first book.

Fascinated with constitutional law, Caroline co-wrote In Our Defense: The Bill of Rights in Action with fellow law graduate Ellen Alderman. She refused to use her mother's publishing industry contacts, instead publishing the book with little fanfare through William Morrow & Co. in February of 1991. She also surprised Washington officials and stumped the media the next year, when she turned down an offer to be chairwoman of the 1992 Democratic National Convention. Instead, the private Kennedy invested time in her family and personal projects.

Politics aside. There are some trust fund kids that could probably do some good from something like this but regardless of self made or born into money lasting change would be by far a more meaningful show to me. I don't expect them to take a vow of poverty or anything but non-profits could be established. They could be out in the community helping people on an ongoing basis.

For some reason it really grossed me out in the one show I actually purposefully watched when at the end they put on the "rich costumes" again got back into their snazzy car. To me it rang like, "I'm glad I'm not you but I feel slightly bad so here take some money and hopefully I never have to do this again."

This dude in the wheelchair at the skateboard park is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3254347;
    This dude in the wheelchair at the skateboard park is awesome!
    I agree - he was AMAZING!! Greg did a good job, I like that they made him take greyhound bus or whatever and find a place to stay (work in exchange for a room).

Unlike the others, we didn't see him shopping for food or eating. He was very busy working.

Now I've seen all except first episode.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3254363;
    I agree - he was AMAZING!! Greg did a good job, I like that they made him take greyhound bus or whatever and find a place to stay (work in exchange for a room).

Unlike the others, we didn't see him shopping for food or eating. He was very busy working.
    He did work pretty hard and they weren't easy tasks...actually pretty gross. It was disgusting when Greg asked for a shovel to scoop up the junk and the guy told him just to pick it up with his hands..YUK !!

My memory might be betraying me, but I think they only showed him working one day. It was pretty cool when his brother showed up in that old jalopy of a car to drive him around town. Very realistic for his down and out characterization.

What I like about secret millionaire is it showcases small charities who work with the poor and disadvantaged. We need to be aware of what people are doing and aware of their struggles to keep their charities afloat. They are not out there doing these good works for a picture op, but they perform these works from their heart.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast