+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stylista

Stylista

Mods - I couldn't find any other thread for this show. If I missed it, please feel free to delete this! thanks!!

11 contestants kick, scratch and claw for a chance to become an assistant editor at Elle magazine.

I caught the first episode last night after Top Model. Not that I'm into fashion that much lol, but curious to see how annoying it was going to be.

Some of the assistant wannabes were mind-blowingly annoying (Kate, Megan) and some were endearing (Danielle, Ashlie). Most- it's too early to get any read on them.

Don't remember the guy that was sent home...Anduwar? He seemed way too tentative to be in this cutthroat world.

Ashlie won both the individual challenge (purchase and create Anne's breakfast) and the team challenge (purchase and model new wardrobe and create an editorial page).

Devin is supposedly in charge of her NYU fashion mag and her page for ELLE was a total disaster. It truly looked high school level.

Previews of an out of control niece may lose me, but for right now its mindless fun.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Re: Stylista

Most of these people are downright scary. I would love to have the villains of Project Runway run with this pack of wolves. I think they could make Jeffrey cry. I am sure Anne Slowey is fabulous at her job, but she should just try to stop acting like Miranda Priestly. And you're right. This could be fun in a sort of "Gladiator" meets "The Devil Wears Prada."

Agree almost entirely with your post, Gala, particularly regarding how excrutiatingly awful Megan is. It is mind-boggling how she managed to make Kate, who would be the number 1 PITA on any other show, look borderline sympathetic.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3222004;
    Agree almost entirely with your post, Gala, particularly regarding how excrutiatingly awful Megan is.
    I also caught this one after ANTM. Megan was painful to watch/listen to - her whole "upper crust" attitude made me want to slap her!!

As mentioned above, I was turned off by Anne Slowey's "Devil Wears Prada" attitude. I'll probably watch again and see if it draws me in.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 10-23-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag

I was particularly gagging/giggling when Anne first arrived to work and just sailed by the contestants with nary a glance.

A few glimmers of hope:
    Danielle was not dismissed out of hand for her size by the staff (although the reactions by the contestants were incredbily revealing).

Joe Zee (sorry, was that his name?) had some really good, constructive advice for the worst offenders. I mean, seriously, beret? pink patterned socks? Michael Jackson glove? WTF??
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Yep, the first day I worked for Anne would be the last day I worked for Anne.

And I was heartened by the fact that not only was Danielle not summarily dismissed, but she was given some positive feedback by the fashion harpies (her glasses and colour choices). However she does need to learn how to put together a more flattering outfit. Maybe it's because I have years more experience in this matter , but as a...portly gal, I have learned that a monochromatic flow works better than different colours top and bottom, never, never, never wear a top that cuts your silhouette at waist or hip, and if you're going to wear any sort of pants at all, you are best off wearing a thigh length top (skimming rather than fitted).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

I'm not sure how I feel about this show yet but...gaaaaaaaaaaaawd, Megan needs to just go away. I'm sure she'll bring plenty of annoyance and drama, to say the least. I guess I'll sit through another episode and if I can't get into it I might just be done with it.

It would have looked really bad (but expected in such a superficial world) to kick out Danielle right off the bat. Maybe she will last. After all, Tyra Banks is one of the producers of this show, and she loves a good story. Boy, that English boy William had a real transformation; from mime on acid to undertaker.

I almost cancelled my subscrition to ELLE magazine after watching this show. Is Anne Slowey really that much of a be-AH-tch or is she just acting for the show. And can she really walk in high heels, she looked like she was clomping into the building ready to fall flat on her face. That would have been funny.
    This show has the usual cast of characters: the gay guys, mean girls, dumb girls, the misfits, etc...I will continue to watch this show because I am a sucker for anything fashion and maybe it will be fun to see what a stylista does and how a magazine runs.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;3222726;
    I almost cancelled my subscrition to ELLE magazine after watching this show. Is Anne Slowey really that much of a be-AH-tch or is she just acting for the show. And can she really walk in high heels, she looked like she was clomping into the building ready to fall flat on her face. That would have been funny.
    She is totally acting, and her new look is a bit of a shock for those of us who remember her from the early seasons of Project Runway:

Goodness, who told her to go all Baby Jane?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast