+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stylista

Re: Stylista

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3239070;
    Actually, as quiet as it's kept, there are SOME bigger women involved in the fashion industry. The trick isn't just to "be the right size (even though it helps)" it's often the person with the most confidence that wins the day, and how you cope with suck-ass situations thrown your way. Andre Leon Talley is proof of that.

All fashion magazines have a "closet" of some sort. Anyone remotely interested in the fashion industry (or have watched an episode of Ugly Betty) knows this. I pretty much knew that they were going to be given access to "the closet" at some point and how Danielle chose to handle it would be the make or break moment for her. You have to play to your strengths, and since most of the clothes in the closet are sample sizes sent over from the design houses to be featured in the magazines for publicity or to be worn by models for shoots, Danielle should have known that "The Closet" would not have anything in it to really fit her and should have had a game plan in place for when this event happened.

Note that Anne never said "Everyone has to dress head to toe from things in the closet!" which would have made it next to impossible for Danielle. She merely said that they could have access to it for the party; what each person picked was entirely up to them. So what is left in The Closet, if you take away the clothes?

Mountains upon mountains of shoes. Delectable accessories. Jewelry. Wraps. Coats. Unmentionables (including undies, pasties, tape, stockings, hygiene items and makeup, etc).

If I were Danielle, getting a reasonably priced seamstress in my town to whip me up a black dress in a nice, expensive feeling fabric in a classic style that hid a multiple amount of sins and fit well would have been my first order of business before I even got on the plane to New York. C'mon. It's a fashion magazine. It's a Tyra production. Some sort of industry party would happen at some point of the show! That way I would be guaranteed to have something that fit well and I felt gorgeous in to wear.

The next thing I would have done was hit The Closet like the fist of an angry god and grabbed the nicest, chicest accessories that were in there (along with some shoes) that went with said dress, had HooterMama stop crying long enough to fix my hair and makeup and I would have sailed into that party like I owned it. And if Ann questioned me about it during judging, I would have told her that all good fashion editors should come prepared for the unexpected and I did (I also would have double checked the materials given to me, but that's just me) and lo and behold, Johanna would have been the one going home. It's a shame because I could tell that Anne really liked Danielle and probably preferred her to stay over a few of the people still there because she kept asking Danielle questions that had a "C'mon kid, tell me SOMETHING YOU DID SO I CAN GO TO BAT FOR YOU! WORK WITH ME HERE!" subtext, and Danielle kept coming up empty.
    Thank you! You said it far better than I could During the episode I kept wondering if they weren't allowed to use the shoes, accessories, etc because Danielle didn't go anywhere near them! It's like she locked down. I too am hoping (but not counting on) Johanna or Ashlie will win. If for no other reason to see Kate and Megan get kicked out.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Kao

After last night's episode, all I have to say is "Wow."

Whatever hoodoo Nina Garcia worked after she got fired from Elle is in full force because neither the magazine or Ann came off very well last night. I'm all for reality hijinks, but I draw a definite line at workplace harassment and cruelty. Especially on a show where the prize is *surprise* a job at an office that seems to condone...well, workplace harassment and cruelty. Last night was one of the most...horrible displays of cruelty I've ever seen on reality TV ever, and the fact that they decided to air a certain segment AT ALL speaks volumes for not only Bankable Productions, but for Elle itself (who more than likely were in the approval process of what could and couldn't be aired). I hope like hell Anne Sloweny and Joe did not get to watch what went on behind the scenes before judging, because that makes them culpable as hell. :/

If I were Nina, I would be somewhere laughing my head off right now thinking "THANK GOD IT'S NOT ME!"

This show is really shining a bad light on Elle Magazine and the fashion industry! Apparently Anne, Joe Zee and Tyra Banks, who is a producer, do not watch the footage before the judging. The abusive and sexual harassment on this show is just shocking. I know it's a reality show but you should draw the line somewhere.
    I never liked Kate from day one. I thought she was selfish, whiney, unprofessional and immature but she did not deserve to be treated like she was by Dyshaun. I will continue to watch because they are down to the final four and I want to see who wins, but if this show has a second season (which I doubt) I won't watch again.

Kao

Here's where it gets really interesting; a few people who were there on the evening in question (I'm assuming they are either contestants or current Elle staffers because all but one posted anon) have posted online on different Stylista boards in DyShaun's defense, saying that it was definately a two-way street as far as abusive verbage was concerned.

Apparently Kate blew a gasket and called Dyshaun a *** a few times and made several nasty comments to him that evening as well. I'm not saying that she was right to do so, but people get really tired of having their buttons pushed and by all accounts (including Kate's) it was an good old-fashioned "cut session" going down until DyShaun made that final comment that reduced her to tears. Now I'm not condoning ANY of this crazy by any stretch of the imagination, but I do find it interesting that they chose to edit Kate's nasty comments out while keeping DyShaun's in. And Dyshaun definitely ripped into her; at one point I heard someone off-screen (probably Johanna) telling him "Enough, just STOP IT" but he kept on.

I don't care if someone is the most annoying person on earth; that does NOT give you the right to emotionally abuse them for weeks on end. That poor girl had no respite whatsoever; she was abused day and night at the workplace as well as the house. Kate was definitely not my favorite person, but what irked me the most was she actually seemed to have it together this episode and buckled down and did good work. Ashlie made the wise decision to just get over the drama and work with Kate, and they worked beautifully together and were actually having a good time...and of course the Bully Patrol was having none of that. Meaghan's no fool; at this stage of the game any nastiness can come back to bite you in the ass. Why get your own hands dirty when there's a pit bull there to do all the work for you instead?

I'm very disappointed in this show, and I had high hopes for it. Unless there's some serious changes made I think I'll pass next season.

All I can say is wow...on EVERY level this show is an embarassment. So the fun now is watching the train wreck. And I use the term "fun" very loosely. Tyra, Anne and Elle truly missed the mark here. Contestants are mostly horrid, judges may be competent but are boring. I think Joe Zee could be pretty good but is given so little to do.

Kate was annoying as hell but after that nightmare, I find a tiny bit of sympathy lurking (not much, mind you!)

Ashlie hopefully will win this, Johanna is too nervous and the other two are a joke (seriously...who would hire Dyshaun or shop at Megan's store? )
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fogey

I noticed that during the time Ashley and Johanna were confronting Dyshaun while he was in bed, that he was wearing the yellow Marc Jacobs nudie shirt with Carolyn Murphy on it. That shirt was taken off the market by Carolyn's people and apparently some were already sold, so there are shirts that got out. Anyway, I thought Dyshaun was a major @$$hole. Though I did not like Kate at the start, I can see some potential there because she's got instinct and moxie.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3247779;
    , Johanna is too nervous and the other two are a joke (seriously...who would hire Dyshaun or shop at Megan's store? )
    I can sympathyse with the "nervousness" because she did leave a high-paying job for a, basically, entry-level position which she has not landed yet, yet, something she loves to do.

FORT Fogey

Honestly, what was Johanna thinking when she said she didn't like a designer's dress with the designer within earshot? (TACTLESS)!!!! And it was not a secret that the same designer was just a second choice. Good way of shooting yourself in the foot when the designer becomes big.

Kao

Wow...so with Ashlie gone, two out of the three finalists are the people most likely to get Elle sued for harassment (or just be horrible to work with). Good job, Elle!

I was disappointed Ashlie didn't win. So I hope Johanna wins, she has made some mistakes but she seems to be a likeable person and badly wants the job. Dyshaun and Megan are just horrible people so I hope they don't win even if they deserve to.
    Last edited by straycat80; 12-11-2008 at 12:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast