+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stylista

Re: Stylista

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3238339;
    There have been a number of times on this show that I thought Anne was wearing a very unflattering outfit!! I haven't been paying attention to the other employees...
    Fashion and style are two very different things, and unfortunately too many people who work in fashion don't have any actual style. Style = Audrey Hepburn. Fashion = mall chicks.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

I didn't like that Anne said to Danielle "You're not the right FIT." I'm sure it wasn't on purpose but it just seemed a little ironic that she use that word.

Kao

LOL, apparently most of the time Anne is chilling in nice retro gym shoes at the office, according to a "source" that wished to remain anon for obvious reasons. "They" also mentioned the only time Anne wears heels and gets dressed up like she is on the show is when there's an event or party she has to attend and that she's an absolute sweetheart. I wish they would just show her the way she really is and focus more on the day to day interesting stuff at the magazine instead of this Devil in Prada stuff; it's not Anne's style, we can all see it, and it would still make for good TV.

I'll try to find a link, but in one of her exit interviews Danielle pretty much stated that she wanted either Johanna or Ashlie to win it all because "everyone left was pure evil." What exactly "pure evil" is I don't know, but I can imagine.

Actually, the look on Anne's face as she was telling Danielle that she wasn't a good fit (the same phrase she has used for everyone, by the way) was sympathetic more than anything. I think that she does actually have a heart, but who wants to see a decent person in action?

And having worked in fashion based advertising for a few years, I have to say that I think Danielle is probably correct in her assessment of her erstwhile competitors. Many of the people I worked with and for were pure evil.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I am guessing Danielle meant pure evil to be Kate and Megan.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3238426;
    I didn't like that Anne said to Danielle "You're not the right FIT." I'm sure it wasn't on purpose but it just seemed a little ironic that she use that word.
    That is what is said to everyone who is eliminated. It's this show's

The tribe has spoken, or

You're Fired, or

TTYN, or

Keep reaching for the stars, because you aren't ready to style them

To me this is a horrible, horrible show, probably even lower on the totem pole than that disgusting Vivica A. Fox show. And THAT'S low.

I wonder if Anne Whatherface can even show her face at serious meetings in her industry anymore.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Ohhh, my bad. I just started watching and didn't realize she said it to everyone. Ok...no big deal then.

FORT Newbie

What does it say about a womens fashion magazine or show That they have a mans suit but not one thing for a plus size women. They picked these contestants. I smell set up. Its interesting that danielle says to the wafe like contestents that you have more issues with your weight then I have. The whole show was built around danielles weight and then she is sent home after winning three prior task with diffrent people on each team. Lets just let women know that your hard work does not cut it when you dont fit the part or the dress.

That closet was set up to single out Danielle for the sake of drama and drama at any cost or anyones feeling seem to be the theme of this show.

Kao

Actually, as quiet as it's kept, there are SOME bigger women involved in the fashion industry. The trick isn't just to "be the right size (even though it helps)" it's often the person with the most confidence that wins the day, and how you cope with suck-ass situations thrown your way. Andre Leon Talley is proof of that.

All fashion magazines have a "closet" of some sort. Anyone remotely interested in the fashion industry (or have watched an episode of Ugly Betty) knows this. I pretty much knew that they were going to be given access to "the closet" at some point and how Danielle chose to handle it would be the make or break moment for her. You have to play to your strengths, and since most of the clothes in the closet are sample sizes sent over from the design houses to be featured in the magazines for publicity or to be worn by models for shoots, Danielle should have known that "The Closet" would not have anything in it to really fit her and should have had a game plan in place for when this event happened.

Note that Anne never said "Everyone has to dress head to toe from things in the closet!" which would have made it next to impossible for Danielle. She merely said that they could have access to it for the party; what each person picked was entirely up to them. So what is left in The Closet, if you take away the clothes?

Mountains upon mountains of shoes. Delectable accessories. Jewelry. Wraps. Coats. Unmentionables (including undies, pasties, tape, stockings, hygiene items and makeup, etc).

If I were Danielle, getting a reasonably priced seamstress in my town to whip me up a black dress in a nice, expensive feeling fabric in a classic style that hid a multiple amount of sins and fit well would have been my first order of business before I even got on the plane to New York. C'mon. It's a fashion magazine. It's a Tyra production. Some sort of industry party would happen at some point of the show! That way I would be guaranteed to have something that fit well and I felt gorgeous in to wear.

The next thing I would have done was hit The Closet like the fist of an angry god and grabbed the nicest, chicest accessories that were in there (along with some shoes) that went with said dress, had HooterMama stop crying long enough to fix my hair and makeup and I would have sailed into that party like I owned it. And if Ann questioned me about it during judging, I would have told her that all good fashion editors should come prepared for the unexpected and I did (I also would have double checked the materials given to me, but that's just me) and lo and behold, Johanna would have been the one going home. It's a shame because I could tell that Anne really liked Danielle and probably preferred her to stay over a few of the people still there because she kept asking Danielle questions that had a "C'mon kid, tell me SOMETHING YOU DID SO I CAN GO TO BAT FOR YOU! WORK WITH ME HERE!" subtext, and Danielle kept coming up empty.

I'm bummed. Danielle's gone now (and probably Ashlie next week, the way my favs keep dropping). Katie is still on the show, crying. Meaghan is still floating around, scheming. Cologne probably two floors down with the rest of the "fired" ones, still wondering what she did wrong and blaming it on a cupcake. Can't wait until next week for more trainwreck!
    Last edited by Kao; 11-22-2008 at 12:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast