+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chef Jeff Project

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

The Chef Jeff Project

The Chef Jeff Project : Food Network

Jeff Henderson grew up on the tough streets of South Central L.A. and San Diego. At 19 he was running a $35,000-a-week cocaine operation. At 24, Jeff was arrested and sent to prison, where he spent the next ten years. While incarcerated, Jeff discovered a passion for cooking and the drive to turn his life around. Jeff became Executive Chef at Café Bellagio in Las Vegas, wrote a bestselling book, and now he is focusing on giving back. In The Chef Jeff Project, he takes six at-risk young adults and commits to turning their lives around by putting them to work in his catering company, Posh Urban Cuisine. He arms them with the knowledge, the skills and, ultimately, the opportunity for a new life with a culinary career.

so is anyone watching this?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The Chef Jeff Project

I did watch this today. It was kind of interesting. The Latino guy has some serious issues that I don't see the Black guy backing down from....but at least he is handling it differently. The Latino guy has some serious maturity issues. 2 roosters on a yard have never peacefully coexisted.

I think it's great to see these young people being given another chance at a successful life. I was very disappointed to see that several of them have neither a G.E.D. nor a high school diploma.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i actually choked up a couple of times during the premier episodes. i think i'm going to like this show.

When I watched the premier I was disappointed with the cheftestants. Some of them have definite potential, but then you have...

Adam who is too gangified to make the transition to the real word even though he seems to have some skills in the kitchen. His attitude and poor work ethic will likely get him kicked out at some point and eventually land him in jail.

Chante's fingernails really said it all. She may have kids and a strong need to earn good money, but her work ethic and poor attitude with make her unemployable. Also since she can't show up on time and accept constructive criticism she will likely get kicked out at some point or even more likely quit. She considers doing dishes beneath her and claims to not do them at home which I believe because her fingernails ...

I like the fact that this project is important enough to Maria to forego her prom. While Chante's response to Chef Jeff punishment for tardiness was "he's lucky I showed up at all", Marie was genuinely sorry and talked about not wanting to waste this opportunity.

The most promising are the two Chef Jeff has made his 2nd in command so far. Surprisingly these are the two whose names escape me. hmmm

This is an excellent show. A guy who turned his life around by working in a Prison Kitchen is now ready to help others turn theirs around. Everyone should give this a try.

One thing I have come to realize is that not everybody is born with the kind of attitude skill that allows them to automatically jump into a job, be grateful, and put forth a professional demeanor. These are skills that a lot of people have to learn, just like they have to learn the job. These are things that, hopefully, come with maturity and experience, and we all mature at different rates.

Haven't seen the latest episode that aired last night? I forgot it was on. Looking forward to catching up. Sounds like I missed some things.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I watched the first episode and found it kinda interesting. Adam (Latino gangsta) put me off immediately with his attitude. "Yeah, the only reason I am not in charge is cause I showed up late the first day." He automatically started dissing the chef's number one pick and yet did not have the leadership skills to succeed in the position. He totally fell apart when Chef Jeff left for 10 minutes when Chef Jeff clearly left instructions to read and follow the list he had prepared if there are any questions. Can Adam even read? He obviously, cannot listen and carry out instructions. Chef Jeff has him pegged. Adam wants attention and praise and pouts when he does not get it, but Chef Jeff has a business to operate and 5 other kids to teach. Adam has all the maturity of a 5 yr old. Unfortunately, his answer to all his problems is to beat it up or shoot it. He wants to be in charge, to get praise, but for what? Doing nothing? Not having any skills to back up his position? Not having any ideas of what direction to go?

I missed the second ep so missed Chantel coping an attitude. That does surprise me as she came across very level headed during the 1st ep.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm watching this show. I found it by accident, but it's very interesting. I really like Chef Jeff and how he is trying to give back. There's no one better to teach these at risk people than someone like him who has been on both sides. He has the credibility from them for having been where they are, but has also successfully made it to the other side.

Very impressive that Maria missed prom to do this. I hope she gets it together and isn't late again. She did at least genuinely sorry, unlike Shante.

Adam is a mess but I really hope for his sake Jeff will be able to teach him. I have high hopes for Brett and the other one who was in charge in the first episode but I can't remember his name.

People like Adam don't understand that observing someone who is in charge is a totally different world than being in charge. It's a whole different mindset that takes practice and experience. Now, the first guy who was in charge went about it well in that he realized that he didn't really know much about being in charge in a business setting, but he layed low and played it cool. Smart man.

FORT Newbie

I'm really liking this show! I hope it continues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast