+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Newbie

Re: The Duggar Family

Here's a bunch of photo's i found on tlc, has some older one of Michelle and Jimbob! and the vow renewal ones

Duggars Vow Renewal Photos : 18 Kids and Counting : TLC

Read very carefully the engagement announce, says that michelle was already graduated in 1984 and working as a secretary. Considering she was 17 when they married atleast she was graduated.
    Last edited by Celestrial; 10-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.

FORT Fogey

"Josh has been front and center in his wife's first pregnancy – telling her the news that she was pregnant after she was too nervous to look at her own pregnancy test, "

That's just creepy.

How old is the new mother--17?

And someone tell me that those quick pictures I saw of her in labor were NOT at home but in a hospital?

Please.....I need to know that at least she got adequate medical care during the most dangerous moments of her life.

Thanks for info.

Lots of women give birth at home with the aid of a mid-wife or a person like that.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3726390;
    Lots of women give birth at home with the aid of a mid-wife or a person like that.
    Did she have the services of a certified midwife?

I only saw women who were all dressed in the same coloring clothing as she was--which leads me to believe these were her sisters/sisters-in law.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW--no home birth is as safe as a hospital delivery--especially a first pregnancy--and especially when the Prime-ip is as young as she is.

Emergency situations arise in seconds and must be dealt with immediately--especially where the mother is bleeding out or the baby is not breathing.

Certainy not the rosy-colored romanticized event that the program is trying to make it. Especially if one of the major participants dies.

Since no one bothered to tell her about sex--except what Jimbob told them--and her husbvand had to tell her she was pregnant---

I wonder if anyone bothered to tell her about the dangers of a home birth?
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 10-13-2009 at 09:32 AM.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I think Anna is around 21 years old.

She did have a home birth with both a midwife and doula. Her family is followers of Bill Gothard too, and he strongly encourages home births, so it may stem from her own family's belief system rather than the Duggar's. (Re: Bill Gothard -Easy for him to say! A single man with no kids!) Give me a nice hospital birthing center and an epidural!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3726427;
    I think Anna is around 21 years old.

She did have a home birth with both a midwife and doula. Her family is followers of Bill Gothard too, and he strongly encourages home births, so it may stem from her own family's belief system rather than the Duggar's. (Re: Bill Gothard -Easy for him to say! A single man with no kids!) Give me a nice hospital birthing center and an epidural!
    Maude Flanders--hi.

Yep.

And the most heathly and safe environment for both baby and mom.

These people seem to live as though they're in the 19th century.

Do they not realize that they are endangering the safety of their loved ones?

I've read a bit about Gothard since I read this entire thread.

I find this entire men-making -life-decisions-for-women/girls to be disturbing and less than apporprioate for the 21st century.

Ditto for Jimbob.

BTW--do these people use antibiotics and vaccines?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

When the older girls had their wisdom teeth pulled, they had prescription bottles and were taking medication, so they don't seem to be against using medications.

They are not public about whether or not they immunized their children, but Gothard's new book really questions whether immunizations are responsible for some of society's modern problems like autism. That line of thinking is very popular in the homeschool world.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3726443;
    When the older girls had their wisdom teeth pulled, they had prescription bottles and were taking medication, so they don't seem to be against using medications.

They are not public about whether or not they immunized their children, but Gothard's new book really questions whether immunizations are responsible for some of society's modern problems like autism. That line of thinking is very popular in the homeschool world.
    Maude--hi.

Unfortunately I know all too well about the thinking in the homeschooling world. (See my post far above about a family member who was homeschooled for religious reasons and then pressured into marrying at a very young age.)

Thanks for the info about the medications.

I don't know which horrifies me more--how the parents are mistreating their many children by bringing them up in a spurious and injurious-19th century environment--

Or how this is all romanticized into seeming like some sort of "ideal world."

It would only take one dead newborn to change that fast.

BTW--does anyone know how much money the family made by appearing on not one but two network news/talk shows yesterday?

Taking money for their appearances does not strike me as very 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3726402;
    Did she have the services of a certified midwife?

I only saw women who were all dressed in the same coloring clothing as she was--which leads me to believe these were her sisters/sisters-in law.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW--no home birth is as safe as a hospital delivery--especially a first pregnancy--and especially when the Prime-ip is as young as she is.

Emergency situations arise in seconds and must be dealt with immediately--especially where the mother is bleeding out or the baby is not breathing.

Certainy not the rosy-colored romanticized event that the program is trying to make it. Especially if one of the major participants dies.

Since no one bothered to tell her about sex--except what Jimbob told them--and her husbvand had to tell her she was pregnant---

I wonder if anyone bothered to tell her about the dangers of a home birth?
    I did read that she had both a certified midwife and a doula there for the birth. And while I get that their's was probably for religious reasons - remember, Michelle did give birth to Jordyn Grace in the hospital. So we don't know the reasons for the home birth and why it was chosen. But given that his mother gave birth in the hospital, I think it is wrong to assume that "the man" somehow forced her to have the baby at home.

I have also seen a number of shows on home birthing. It is apparently gaining in popularity - for a number of reasons. These are educated women making this decision. While I don't necessarily agree with it - it is your body and your child. If you know the risks and have made the educated decision to do it at home, for one reason or another, it is not up to the rest of us to judge. Didn't Ricki Lake give birth at home - in the tub? I seem to remember her filming a documentary about it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3726471;
    I did read that she had both a certified midwife and a doula there for the birth. And while I get that their's was probably for religious reasons - remember, Michelle did give birth to Jordyn Grace in the hospital. So we don't know the reasons for the home birth and why it was chosen. But given that his mother gave birth in the hospital, I think it is wrong to assume that "the man" somehow forced her to have the baby at home.

I have also seen a number of shows on home birthing. It is apparently gaining in popularity - for a number of reasons. These are educated women making this decision. While I don't necessarily agree with it - it is your body and your child. If you know the risks and have made the educated decision to do it at home, for one reason or another, it is not up to the rest of us to judge. Didn't Ricki Lake give birth at home - in the tub? I seem to remember her filming a documentary about it.
    Knowing the risks and being able to stop maternal hemmorhaging before th mom bleeds out are two entirely diferent things.

Home delivery is not recommended for Prime-ips.

Ditto for any emergency situation that arises in the newborn.

+ Reply to Thread