+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 260 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104144194 ... LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fanatic

Re: The Duggar Family

I agree with the poster who thought the selected gown for Michelle was really ugly. I don't understand why she would wear a white wedding gown anyway for a 25th vow renewal. What's wrong with a dressy dress or a suit that could be more easily obtained back home?

I would think it would be much more comfortable to wear something shorter. Maybe she will change when the ceremony is over, but that's an awful waste of money to wear the dress for only a few hours.

Oh, wait, I forgot that TLC wanted a tie-in.

It seems like we are seeing a lot more shots of the individual children these last months, and they are not as well-behaved as I had thought. Taking the whole group to the wedding salon was absurd. Part of the problem is that there are just SO MANY kids.

I know I said I was going to stay away...but since the last couple of posts were about the show....
    I fell asleep before the end so I didn't get to see the finished product i.e.dress. It looked kind of funky before with just the modesty panel in it and I was really hoping it would look nicer but from what I have seen on here maybe not? I too like this show and I can see how taking that many kids to the salon was probably not the best choice but it seems most of the things they do are done as a family unit. You (figurative not finger pointing) cannot expect the younger kids to be that interested in looking at dresses all day and after awhile get "ants in their pants".
    I am also curious when t.v. guide took over????
    "Lucy...you got some splainin' to do." Ricky Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3717140;
    I agree with the poster who thought the selected gown for Michelle was really ugly. I don't understand why she would wear a white wedding gown anyway for a 25th vow renewal. What's wrong with a dressy dress or a suit that could be more easily obtained back home?

I would think it would be much more comfortable to wear something shorter. Maybe she will change when the ceremony is over, but that's an awful waste of money to wear the dress for only a few hours.

Oh, wait, I forgot that TLC wanted a tie-in.

It seems like we are seeing a lot more shots of the individual children these last months, and they are not as well-behaved as I had thought. Taking the whole group to the wedding salon was absurd. Part of the problem is that there are just SO MANY kids.
    And I feel that Michelle was done a disservice because she could definitely have had a nicer, modest dress if she had gone to a local shop, but the Kleinfeld's tie-in was probably a) because it's shows on the same network, and b) they were already going to be in New York because they had an invitation to appear on Mike Huckabee's show.

I think, though, over time, you are going to see that the kids are well, kids-they aren't necessarily the best behaved all the time. Being in a bridal salon isn't most people's idea of fun, and these are very energetic kids. I don't think it was for the best to have brought the kids in, but they had two shows to film.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3717424;
    And I feel that Michelle was done a disservice because she could definitely have had a nicer, modest dress if she had gone to a local shop, but the Kleinfeld's tie-in was probably a) because it's shows on the same network, and b) they were already going to be in New York because they had an invitation to appear on Mike Huckabee's show.

I think, though, over time, you are going to see that the kids are well, kids-they aren't necessarily the best behaved all the time. Being in a bridal salon isn't most people's idea of fun, and these are very energetic kids. I don't think it was for the best to have brought the kids in, but they had two shows to film.
    That was the point I was trying to make in my post. I briefly saw the show when the finished gown arrives and is unpacked (on 18Kids...) and it was pretty hideous. Then I saw the "Say Yes to the Dress" where it was picked out. I'll say again that from what I saw, the revised dress was so unattractive. You can be modest and still look nice. That gown looked ridiculous. Maybe it'll look better on with the revisions...
    It bugs me that the most important thing was the "tie in" for the shows and not doing what would be best for Michelle. She deserved better for her impotant day.
    Oh, and to comment on the poster who said she should've worn a suit or dress for a vow renewal: as a bridal shop owner, I've seen many people go all out for second weddings and for vow renewals. This is especially important to them if they didn't have the wedding the wanted the first time. I've heard many times women say that they didn't have a wedding dress the first time and so now they're getting what they want. Perhaps Michelle felt this way since Jim Bob said she wore his mother's dress. Then again, that's why it bothers me that she got that train wreck of a dress.

FORT Fogey

I have a question about the Duggar family. Do they allow the girls to do the same things as the boys? Like, would they approve if one of the girls wanted to have a career or not get married real young?

It's obvious they love their children and cherish them and want entirely what's best for them, I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3717732;
    I have a question about the Duggar family. Do they allow the girls to do the same things as the boys? Like, would they approve if one of the girls wanted to have a career or not get married real young?

It's obvious they love their children and cherish them and want entirely what's best for them, I was just curious.
    I am sure the girls are expected to fill the traditional women's roles... wives and mothers... but Jana (I think) lays a mean tile!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I personally am not sure that raising them and making them live as though this were the 18th century is what's best for them. And forcing the girls to spend their young lives raising someone else's children--IE the kids the parents keep spawning year after year--is in the best interests of the girls.

If the girls can't wear shorts or pants--which they can't--then no they can't do the same things the boys can do--because the girls always have to worry about "modesty"--wch is NOT an issue pressed onto the boys.

Interestingly enough, there was a rerun today that addresses your question.

While they usually assume traditional roles, they had a reversal day a few years ago where the girls were taught to change a tire, check the oil and so forth. The boys were taught to cook a dinner and do laundry. Michelle said that the girls have expressed that, for the most part they would like to be married and be "homemakers" but in life we don't know what will happen and they still need to be prepared should they have to support themselves.

I know that for the younger girls, they wear leggings or bloomers of some sort under their skirts because it is expected that they'll be running around and playing. I think Joy wears leggings, too, and that's totally expected. After a certain age they don't have that super-high energy level.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3719799;
    I know that for the younger girls, they wear leggings or bloomers of some sort under their skirts because it is expected that they'll be running around and playing. I think Joy wears leggings, too, and that's totally expected. After a certain age they don't have that super-high energy level.
    In other words they are being forced to wear twice as many clothes as the boys?

And what logical reason would there be for forcing older girls to ALWAYS wear dresses and MEVER be able to relax and just be themselves in slacks or shorts?

+ Reply to Thread