+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 252 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103143193 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

maude~flanders, I didn't realize about that divide (the church I attend sponsors a local Christian home educators group as one of our ministries, so I guess I assumed that was the norm). What a shame that some would miss an opportunity to support one another.

On perceptions of the Duggar beliefs, I'm not aware of JimBob claiming to have received a revelation so I don't think he's leading a cult or developing a new religion. My lifestyle is different than theirs, but I do see many positive aspects to how they live their lives. And I very much respect the way I've noticed both JimBob and Michelle, when interviewed or asked about their lifestyle, always preface their response by saying how it may not be for everyone but it works for them.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 10-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

FORT Newbie

Everywhere I have seen states that the Duggars are conservative Baptists, not apart of the movement Quiverful - they just happen to carry the same belief regarding childbirth.

______________________________ ______________

And just because you start a homechurch doesn't mean you are a cult, a different denomination, etc. A lot of churches do start off with just a few people in attendance and then grow. They are deeply rooted in the Christian faith - Protestant denomination.

On the show on Tuesday it showed the name of the church where they got married. It was a Baptist church.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

The Duggars may not be as deeply involved in the quiverful movement, but their book is being sold on the QuiverFull .com website, and the quiverful teachings are exactly the same as the Duggar's beliefs. They are also big-time followers of Bill Gothard. They have tons of his books as recommended reading in the resources area of their book.

If you want to think they are part of a cult, it would be Bill Gothard who is their leader, not Jim Bob. They are his faithful followers and that guy has a very checkered reputation. Just do a search on "Bill Gothard teachings" and you will find more websites talking about the dangers of him than those supporting him. (I didn't see any supporting him, except his own sites)

Most of the Gothardites I have met go to a Southern Baptist church, if they don't have a home church. So, I would think that any involvement with an organized denomination that the Duggars would have would be Baptist.
    Last edited by maude~flanders; 10-02-2009 at 05:54 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3716666;
    They are most definitely a part of the quiverful movement. They are also big-time followers of Bill Gothard. They have tons of his books as recommended reading in their book. Also, they used the ATI homeschooling curriculum for years. You have to sign a long list of agreements in order to use it. I looked into it at one time and not having television, not listening or dancing to music (other than hymns), and the way you dress is covered, along with other things. The Duggars are also featured on the "quiverfull.com" website. Look at the "about us" area, doesn't the photo remind you of the Duggars in the earlier days of the show?
    Maude~Flanders--hi. Thanks for that affirmation. As we know from other aspects of life one does not have to have a specific name for one's ideas/beliefs in order to be following them very closely and carefully.

A re-reading of the early portions of this thread (as well as reading generally on the criteria for the movements being discussed) will show that their practices DO mimic those of Gothard and Quiverful.

A rose is a flower with all the specific characteristics of a rose whether we call it by that name or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3716409;
    Gabriel--hi. Far far upthread there are posts about his holding "church" services in their hosue and his claming tax deductions because they write part of their houe off as a church.

Also it's stated far upthread that only his immediate family attends the services.

I'm sure there are links but I read 300+ posts at one sitting and I am not going back to try to find those posts.

They are most likely in the first 200 or so.

Sorry I can't do better at this time.

There was a very big discussion about just what religion Jim follows and the info about his "church" was he answer to that question.

Additionally he follows the very fundamentalist/survivalist teachings of Bill Gothard--whose homeschooling materials are used by the Duggar family to homeschool their kids.

Gothard is very adamant about women being "in servitude to their men" and men being the "authority" ove r their wives.

(see the early posts about the wedding of one of the boys.)
    Hi Wind Dancer- I did not realize that the info you had was from this thread, sorry for asking to post the link.

I have read and did see on the show that it is not only the Duggars who attend services at their home. I also have read in this thread somewhere that Jim-Bob and Michelle do NOT completely follow the quiverfull as far as it being an "obligation" to bring all these children into the world.

I do believe that Gothard is adamant about women in servitude, but I simple do not see it with the Duggars. I believe they use what they want from both Gothard and Quiverfull and leave the rest.

I personally have know some very strict religious families and felt so much for the children, but I also believe the Duggars are a good example of people living the golden rule.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Gabriel--hi. I appreciate your post.

There are a number of posts here also about the son's wedding in which the viewers who posthhere state that a significant part of the ceremony ws that the girl (ony 17, I think?) was told she would have to be subrvient to and "was unde the authority of" her husband.

IMO they do make a big deal out of it--and it is ovious in the way they treaty the girls primarily as young mothers and regulate and restrict their actitivies and their clothing to what "Jim Bob wants."

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Wow, you guys! I have been looking up info on Bill Gothard and it is scary stuff! And, the more I read, the more I realized how deeply the Duggars are in on that movement. For instance, Bill Gothard teaches about abstinence in marriage and lays out these rules for how long you must abstain from sexual relations after a woman's period and after the birth of each child (you have to abstain longer if it is a girl...hmmm), and that is exactly the same thing that the Duggar's wrote in their book as to what they practice.

I had never heard of this guy until I started homeschooling. But, I guess his following was huge in the 70's and early 80's until he had some sort of sex scandal and some church leaders started having a problem with his doctrine. He says he is the ultimate authority in the church and hears from God, so if you question him,you are questioning God. Scary teachings!

FORT Newbie

I just saw say yes to the dres... they had Michelle and Jim-bob really young probably when they were and michelle was wearing pants!! jeans!

I also saw the "Say Yes to the Dress" last night. Because I own a bridal shop, it happens to be one of my favorite shows. The Duggars being on was a wild one! I've had a few large groups and, as a mother myself I'm sympathetic to families, but HOLY COW! That many children in a bridal shop is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure TLC did it for the dramatic effect. Having said that, it was so obviously a cross promotion. The shop I own specializes in "modest" bridal gowns with sleeves and a higher neckline. And I am NOT the only one around who carries dresses like that. (Though I have had many brides travel from out of state to find what they want.) If you want a conservative dress, why travel to Kleinfelds?
    Also, the dress she chose was hideous with the modifications. Such a shame because there are gorgeous modest dresses that don't sacrifice style. It was sad to see her in something so ugly for a day that should be so special. I guess the cross promothion was more important that having her look stylish and pretty.

+ Reply to Thread