+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 226 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102142192 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I personally see nothing wrong with being taught to be modest in public. I also see no conflict in being modest in public and sexual with your wife/husband. I think the idea that the sexual part of you is saved only for your spouse is good for a marriage. Many religions teach that you should be modest in public and wait until marriage for sex, and that sex within marriage is a wonderful and bonding experience.

The Duggars have never said that sex is only for procreation and I seriously doubt they will stop having sex when Michelle can't get pregnant anymore. She appears to me to be a very strong woman with a mind of her own and I have never seen Jim Bob treat her as anything less. In fact I cannot imagine him talking her into anything she didn't want to do, much less getting pregnant when she didn't want to or not getting pregnant when she did.

They treat other people with respect and have no problem having cousin Amy as part of their lives and around their children, even though she doesn't live in the same way they do and even criticizes their choices.

I think sometimes anger about our upbringing can cloud our judgment and make us all the more judgemental. Bad things happen in all kinds of families and all kinds of religions. There are millions of happy Catholic, LDS, Baptist and other religious families, that doesn't mean they are all good. There are millions of unhappy religious families as well, that doesn't mean they are all bad. Small families, big families, atheist families, religious families, they all have good and bad families.

Painting with a broad brush saying all religious families or all large families are this way or that way is disingenious. I think we need to be careful here to not put our own preconceptions onto this family.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3715463;
    And that is why I think that many couples could learn from the Duggars. They respect each other, they recognize that their committment is a lifetime and not just a "flavour of the week", and they treat each other with love and respect and it's very evident that they are as in love today as they were when they were married...
    this is what i enjoy the most about this show .... it's such a breath of fresh air. i don't agree with their religious beliefs, but i do enjoy the relationship they appear to have.

That dress was HORRIBLE!!! I wore a modest dress for my wedding, and in the community/religion that I am from all the girls have dresses that are originally made modest and not modified from a non-modest dress and they look 100x better. If I knew how to post a picture I would post my dress!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pluckyduk8;3716097;
    That dress was HORRIBLE!!! I wore a modest dress for my wedding, and in the community/religion that I am from all the girls have dresses that are originally made modest and not modified from a non-modest dress and they look 100x better. If I knew how to post a picture I would post my dress!
    Living in Arizona, with its high Mormon population, may of our bridal shops sell special modest gowns. There are also online shops. I don't think the shop in "Say Yes to the Dress" particularly caters to the modest crowd. But they were the shop TLC wanted to cross-promote, so poor Michelle had to have something altered to fit her modesty standards.

I agree, Pluckyduk8; the dress she ended up with was just not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3716200;
    Just for starters one thought to keep in mind is that this guy has created his own religion--with his family as his followers.
    Can you post a link to that fact? I don't think he created a religion, I do believe that part of their home is a church however and that other people do come and attend, but I do not think he started a religion. I will gladly retract this with a link to a story.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3716272;
    Can you post a link to that fact? I don't think he created a religion, I do believe that part of their home is a church however and that other people do come and attend, but I do not think he started a religion. I will gladly retract this with a link to a story.
    Gabriel--hi. Far far upthread there are posts about his holding "church" services in their hosue and his claming tax deductions because they write part of their houe off as a church.

Also it's stated far upthread that only his immediate family attends the services.

I'm sure there are links but I read 300+ posts at one sitting and I am not going back to try to find those posts.

They are most likely in the first 200 or so.

Sorry I can't do better at this time.

There was a very big discussion about just what religion Jim follows and the info about his "church" was he answer to that question.

Additionally he follows the very fundamentalist/survivalist teachings of Bill Gothard--whose homeschooling materials are used by the Duggar family to homeschool their kids.

Gothard is very adamant about women being "in servitude to their men" and men being the "authority" ove r their wives.

(see the early posts about the wedding of one of the boys.)

FORT Newbie

They may use his home schooling, but they use a number of programs and such. Its all on there websites and everything.
    They don't just stick to one thing.

but yet, as far as taxes go, they still pay taxes toward schools and everything else. If they really wanted they could probably get out of those as seeing there children are home schooled. But they don't and even though they don't go with public school they still support it. So i really don't believe the whole church thing...

FORT Fanatic

On one program maybe a year or two ago, they showed a very large family that sometimes came to have services at the Dugar home on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestrial;3716508;
    They may use his home schooling, but they use a number of programs and such. Its all on there websites and everything.
    They don't just stick to one thing.

but yet, as far as taxes go, they still pay taxes toward schools and everything else. If they really wanted they could probably get out of those as seeing there children are home schooled. But they don't and even though they don't go with public school they still support it. So i really don't believe the whole church thing...
    And that's one thing that I like-they don't overly gripe about paying taxes towards the schools, because they recognize that there is a place for them in society. Sure, they personally don't believe in them for themselves (and there are a lot of people who are that way-they believe that homeschooling is the best way to go but they recognize the need for public schools), but at least they aren't "We don't use this, thus we don't need to pay for it!".
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Home churches are growing really popular among Christian homeschoolers. It's not a new religion, just very conservative Christians, often Southern Baptists. The Duggar's do home church, but that makes alot of sense for such a large family. They gather with other conservative homeschool Christian families who hold the same values and beliefs (I would guess the quiverful people). It's actually not that strange anymore. Many homeschoolers have a hard time in churches these days because other Christians actually give us the hardest time for what we are doing. There is definitely a divide there. In my area, homeschool churches are springing up.

+ Reply to Thread