+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 260 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140190 ... LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Wind Dancer
    I guess we will just have to disagree(I gotta come up with something better than that)
    It sounds to me like you have had problems in your own life with maybe not always following what was expected or you did follow it and now have alot of resentment for doing so. No I am not trying to psychoanalyze you at all....just trying to follow what you have posted. I still think and I know you and others have differing opinions that Michelle and JimBob are not that unbending. They may not like the choices but I still feel they would support them. I don't mean if one of the kids went off drinking and sleeping around and such but just if they decided not to have so many kids...live a more mainstream life...that sort of thing. Maybe not take as strict a path as they have. As I said all of this is just my take on it.
    "Lucy...you got some splainin' to do." Ricky Ricardo

FORT Fogey

Katesmom and Gandolf--thanks so much for your thoughtful supportive posts.

I agree that one's personal experiences can color perceptions of the situations of others.

I have to add that both your posts reinforced my own idea that no one can know with any certainty how the Duggar parents and the rest of the family might react to anyone in their family NOT following in the excessive path they have chosen for themselves.

My major point was--and continues to be--that the extreme choices of the parents in this family have a definite emotional effect now on their children--and will continue to affect the children for the rest of their lives.

Thanks so much for your kindness in your posts to me. Very much appreciated!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3599540;
    There are a lot of girls who do indeed have longer hair, but for them, it's more of a choice-whereas for the Duggars, it's expected that they will keep their hair long. I have to agree about Michelle though-but then again, she has never really been the type to do anything with the hair. It's way better than when they first started filming though.
    Old post i know but...i had to
    I also read someone posted that cutting hair is vanity, and women of some religions don't ever cut there hair.

The girls must cut their hair. Its always the same length.
    I had two roomates who have never cut there hair and by age 18 it was down to the girls knees or for Harleen was almost to her ankles.
    So they must cut there hair otherwise it wouldn't look as good as it does. My roomates were forbidden to cut there hair because of their religion and family.
    The duggar girls have bangs and everything. So they definatly cut there hair...they just keep it long.
    But what the difference of them having long hair. I had a normal friend from a normal family. that her mother never let her hair grow past her shoulders even to that, It always had to be short, no matter how much she wanted it long.

And I love the duggar girls hair i think it beautiful and would love to have some of there hair lol.

Wind Dancer-
    You are welcome and I am sorry if I in anyway offended you by my post(s).
    One of your posts had mentioned about how families with strict religious upbringing don't support their kids if they go the opposite way. My post was specifically aimed at this family(the Duggars) and not large, religious families in general. I can only form my opinion based on what I see on the t.v and was not talking in generalities.
    About the hair thing....I think their hair is beautiful too. As a former hairdresser, I can tell you they do trim it or cut it at times as it would not look that nice if they did not.
    "Lucy...you got some splainin' to do." Ricky Ricardo

There's lots of extremes in this country. From the Duggar's point of view I'm sure the extreme hedonism seen in much of society seems like a horrible way to raise a child and so on.

And on the hair cutting thing. I have a friend whose family won't let his sister's cut their hair because they like it long. Nothing to do with religion they just like it that way. I quit cutting my hair for years. Got down to about midback and never seemed to grow past that just stayed that length for a couple years (breakage probably had much to do with that). Other htan my friends I know lots of other secular people who won't let their girls cut their hair because they as the parents like to screw around with it and think it looks soooo pretty.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf 5;3714589;
    Wind Dancer-
    You are welcome and I am sorry if I in anyway offended you by my post(s).
    One of your posts had mentioned about how families with strict religious upbringing don't support their kids if they go the opposite way. My post was specifically aimed at this family(the Duggars) and not large, religious families in general. I can only form my opinion based on what I see on the t.v and was not talking in generalities.
    Gandolf--hi. None of your posts have ever offended me in any way. I really appreciate your ability to discuss these topics in a kind and generous way.

And I agree that we are talking about this family specifically and not "all" highly religious families.

The religion aspect does make it a little more difficult to talk about this family because it's harder to be sure not to make anyone uncomfortable.

But it's great that we can all do that pretty well here.

I do want to add that by allowing themselves to be filmed and presented on tv this particular family invites this kind of discussion. If they did not want discussion about how they live their lives they would stay off our tvs.

IMO anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestrial;3714559;
    Old post i know but...i had to
    I also read someone posted that cutting hair is vanity, and women of some religions don't ever cut there hair.

The girls must cut their hair. Its always the same length.
    I had two roomates who have never cut there hair and by age 18 it was down to the girls knees or for Harleen was almost to her ankles.
    So they must cut there hair otherwise it wouldn't look as good as it does. My roomates were forbidden to cut there hair because of their religion and family.
    The duggar girls have bangs and everything. So they definatly cut there hair...they just keep it long.
    But what the difference of them having long hair. I had a normal friend from a normal family. that her mother never let her hair grow past her shoulders even to that, It always had to be short, no matter how much she wanted it long.

And I love the duggar girls hair i think it beautiful and would love to have some of there hair lol.
    I could be wrong - but I swear last season there was an episode where the girls were getting perms? Home perms - but they were giving them to each other - at least the ones that wanted the curly hair. So I am not sure how that fits into the whole vanity thing.

Yep, they got perms, and for some events they even wear light makeup (at least I know Anna does). I don't think it's a case of them being anti-vanity at all, I think it's just things to do with their longer hair so that it isn't always the same old thing. At least the bangs now are way better (the sideswept ones).
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Newbie

Jana Wears make-up and some of the older girls, Anna aswell. they wouldn't let Joy wear make-up probably..i say they have like a 16 years and up for make up.
    I rememember some of the girls really older shows hair puffy bangs lol..

Michelle said on yesterday that it took her awhile to learn to be modest and draw attention to her face. During the wedding dress episode. Her dress was pretty, though i'm surprised she wouldn't even show her collar bone or something or shoulders really how bad is that, a nice boat neckline or something..
    though the girls faces on the not so modest dresses was funny. they didn't show much of the boys either they were trying not to stare at boobies, or going to red at the sight of them lol.
    I also read on the family site, she didn't even go to church before a friend asked her go one day and then she realised she was missing god in her life.
    So i think she could of been brought up 'normal persay' She was a cheerleader after all lol.

Yep, granted that was before they really started doing the shows, and I think the money has helped-but oh man, Jana's hair was rough. I knew some of them had naturally wavy hair, but yeah.

I think for the boys, it was a total "Nike" time, because that's what they do when they're out in public and they don't have one of the girls to censor the television screen (when they are watching their parents on TV or something). I do like how Michelle talks about how she was different, and modesty is definitely something that is learned if you aren't necessarily born into it. I think that if Michelle had gone to a bridal shop that specialized in LDS wedding dresses, she may have found something that would have worked, because for the LDS they typically are a higher neck (although not as high as what she got) and they have a short sleeve. I was glad though that the people at Kleinfeld's were willing to work with Michelle in order to get a beautiful but modest dress that worked.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

+ Reply to Thread