+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 226 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

not sure, other than the dad's name starts with J also. nothing i have found online gives any reasoning for it.

I'm still on the fence about this one.

I love how calm the mother is and the kids are cute, heck even the dad seems nice but something gnaws at me everytime i watch it like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I can't help but get a weird feeling when a "family" is run like a "company" or whatever you'd call it.

I hope it all works out well for them because I do think they're sincere and want the best for their kids.

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares... why is there a song about him?

FORT Newbie

These children are forced into adulthood far earlier thatn they ought to be. They anre nor socialized properly and they are not prepared for the real world. Al they are prepared for is running a household an raising kids(the girls), or being a patriarch that emhasizes gender roles that are not practical in todays society.

With as many children as they have, I am certain that at least one or two of them will 'stray' from their upbringing and this will be very difficult for them.

It is masked, but if you read further into it, these marriages are arranged. They say that they 'pray for it and leave it to God', but in reality, Josh and Anna's marriage was arranged. They hardly knew eachother. Will this work considering their upbringing? Maybe. Is it sad that they are SO secluded from reality and unprepared for the real world, should they be required to face it...YES!

I just feel bad for those young girls that are required to raise their siblings and run the household. Micjhelle may be sweet and a great mother, but I would rather see her this way with 5 or 6 chidren.

In relation to the recent marriage of Josh Duggar, pay aprticular attention to the section on 'courtship'. SOUND familiar???
    I can't post a URL yet, just google Bill Gothard.

I am SURE at least one of these kids will stary...I can't wait for the Tell-All book!!!

FORT Regular

These people bother me. I wish she would realize it is a vagina not a clown car and stop with the babies. All she does when she pops a kid out is buddy that baby with an older kid because she can't possibly parent all those kids. If you can't hands on raise them then don't have so many!

Quote Originally Posted by LapisLazuli;3233009;
    I don't mean to be rude, but I am in awe that you all think that the Duggars are simple super conservative/Fundamentalist Christians. They are part of a fundamentalist cult folowing called Gothardite. The are Quiver Full....which means they do not have any intention of practicing birth control, however I think it is part of the ploy of Gothard to expand his following. They believe that adopted children are evil. They use a 'Buddy system' in order to make their enormous clan work. This means that as soon as Michelle weans the new child from breastfeeding she passes the infant onto one of the older (like 8 yrs old and up) girls and that girl raises that child...NOT Michelle. She then immediately proceeds to become pregnant as son as possible.

I feel bad for these kids. If you don't believe me, google it. There's even a 'Duggars Without Pity' that you can google to find out more.

This family is twisted.

Where are you getting your information from? My understanding is that they are BAPTISTS.

ETA: To be honest, I don't have anything to back up that they are baptists other than what I've read here but that is what I understand. I know nothing about this other religion that you've mentioned I just think they're a neat family.
    Last edited by stacerace; 11-15-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

I think I've only seen this show twice - once was all about how the engaged son and his girlfriend has never kissed, and this one seems be be all about how they save money. Personally, I don't see the appeal of this show (unless I've just had bad luck in the episodes I've seen).
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are followers of the teachings of Bill Gothard. Bill Gothard teaches a very conservative way of living and teaching, including homeschooling all children. Two staples of his teachings are living the "debt-free" lifestyle and following the Quiverfull method of conceiving. The Quiverfull method is the belief in using no birth control of any type and conceiving as many children as god blesses you with who can help spread the word of god and presumably the teachings of Gothard.

While I disagree with many, and I mean MANY, of the things that the Duggar family does, it bothers me that people don't get their facts straight.

The Duggar family is and should be welcome to practice what ever religious beliefs they want and we need to respect that.

ETA:
    From researching this a little more and from the feeling I got from the episode with the Bates family, I feel as if the Duggars are more liberal than some other followers of Bill Gothard.
    Last edited by psycobabe007; 11-15-2008 at 09:33 PM.

I know people that did courtship - didn't kiss until they were married etc and their marriage wasn't arranged. They seem to be very happy too. There's a lot of stuff I don't agree with , however, there are numerous studies that show that children from large families are better socialized and also are better at working in a team.

FORT Fogey

I'm cool with most everything about the Duggars. And, I would agree that their intentions are noble and that they do care about the well being of their children.

However, the fact that they believe that woman are considered subservient to men is where I draw the line. The Duggars, therefore, are done-for, for me.

Too bad. I like them the rest of the time.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

I just wonder what she does all day. The kids seem to do all the cleaning and the home maintenance AND they look after each other. I guess she just sits back with the latest baby and watches.

+ Reply to Thread