+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 226 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192939495969798138188 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

i don't see why jim bob even needs to lose weight. i think weight watchers just wants some product placement.

BFD, I think it's a little of both. He does seem to have a more around the middle than when the show first started. That's normal, as we age, our metabolism goes down. But I agee, that I don't think JimBob has it in him. He loves his junk food and he seems clueless about stuff like this.

WindDancer, I was making a broad statement about several people (not only on this list) who critize how the Duggars raise their children, while not watching the show. If that applies to you, I'm sorry, but that's my feelings.

We're just going to have to disagree about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3711894;
    Hi to all--quite honestly I don't see how talking about the possibility of people making informed choices about reproduction leads to the jump to asserting that we are trying to force something on someone else--"taking away their right to choose."

Perhaps I am msunderstanding the points being made by posts referring to "Forcing people" to do one tihng or another?

Thanks for any clarification on this.
    WD - Hi there! I admit I might have missed some subsequent discussion on this up thread, but at least when I responded, the tone of the responses was focusing on China where it is imposed on people how many children they can have, and whether there might come a time when that happens here in the US.

Making an informed decision yourself is completely different. But I also think people have to be careful here - who defines what is an informed decision and when you have enough information? I don't get from watching any of the shows that Jim Bob and Michelle are stupid or ignorant in any way - quite the opposite actually. But their religious beliefs appear to be that they will keep having children as long as God wants to provide them with children - and likewise that he will provide them what they need to take care of those children. So, sort of like all the people who have arguments against creationism - I think their response would be similar with regard to the carbon footprint argument - God will provide for them, so there is no need to worry. Is that considered informed? I think it is, but that is only my opinion. Others may feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3711901;
    Hutchlover--hi, Of course we don't hear any of the older children complaining.

I was forced to take care of younger sibs for many hours a day. No one asked me if I wanted to do it--I was just told to do it.

It was difficult work and onerous. Do you know how hard it is for a child to get younger children to obey? Do you know how hard it is to change many diapers a day for a baby that is not yours while you yourself are still a child?

But did I complain? Of course not--I was a helpless child doing what the all-powerful adults told me to do.

Add the threat of "God's telling us this is how we must live and to disobey is a sin" and you won't hear a child even attempt to speak in opposition.

Not hearing any complaints from the children forced to take care of even younger children is NOT a good criterion on whether or not they are being affected by being forced into this situation--a situation their parents chose based on "religious" beliefs which will brook no denial--a set of circumstances created by their parents and which they themselves did not ask for.

And if you think this post has dismay and some anger behind it--talk to the older Duggar children in 5-10 years.
    WD - you may be right. I personally think it could go either way. You obviously have your feelings on it, based on your past experiences, it sounds like. Others have expressed different opinions.

IMO, and for what it is worth, is that I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting children to help out with the younger ones and have chores around the house. I think it builds discipline and character. I see way to many of today's children being raised without any responsibility and they turn into adults who feel they are entitled to something simply because they want it - who do not understand the value of a hard day's work. That being said, I also think it is a balancing act - because there is a such thing as expecting too much from your children. Yes, they need to learn responsibility, but they are not to take the place of the parents. IMO, however, I don't see where the Duggars have gone to far. As mentioned above, I still see Michelle and Jim Bob very involved in all their children's lives and taking on the primary responsibility for caring for them and raising them.

There will always be some resentment on the children's side - I know I hated it when I had to babysit my brother even once every few weeks - because I would rather go out and party with my friends. Or how much I hated setting the table before dinner every night. Does that mean what my parents did was wrong? I don't think so - but it interfered with what I wanted to do, so I didn't like it at the time. Now I see if for what it was. We don't always get what we want just because we want it. I would love to stay home and watch TV all day and still collect a paycheck - but it doesn't work that way. I wanted money, so my parents told me I had to earn it. I also learned discipline from them, which has served me well, both in my professional career and as a parent myself. I am trying to raise a child (soon two) who is happy and curious about the world and secure in herself, but also understands that there are trade-offs in life and we don't get something just because we want it. I want her to be a productive member of society someday - someone that people will want to hire.

I am trying to raise a child (soon two)
    Congrats, KatesMom! When is the blessed event to take place?

FORT Fogey

Katesmom--hi. Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

I hope all is well for you and yours and I too offer congratulations and good thughts that all continues to go well.

I'll reply more specifically latrer to some of the issues you raised--but here 'll just say that I can see from your posts that you see a difference between babysitting once in a while and having to care for smaller children every day.

And--not necessarily for your info--but most people in our extended family (whgich was very large) had no idea that I was "chosen" to be the "little mother" to take care of my younger sibs all day every day during the week in the summer (for example). When other girls my age were hanging out together I was at home providing total care for a baby in diapers and a toddler.

No one else in the extended family ever said anything about it--I suspect they did not know how much I had to do.

That's why I don't think it is probative if we don't see the older girls taking care of the younger ones as much as I suspect they do.

And that's why I say that it is the parents who thoughtlessly have created that situation and are thoughtlessly assuming the "God will provide" when it is the older chldren who are "providing" the help that a mother of 18 needs.

And a completely personal and not very polite question--can't these peple keep their hands off each other during certain times each month? They ought to be well-acquainted with the mother's fertile periods of her cycle by now.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3712322;
    And a completely personal and not very polite question--can't these peple keep their hands off each other during certain times each month? They ought to be well-acquainted with the mother's fertile periods of her cycle by now.
    Ummmm, I don't think the "hands" are the problem, Wind Dancer.

FORT Fogey

AZChristian--LOL. I agree with you on that.

BTW--in all seriousness I expect to hear any day now that she is being treated for prolapsed uterus--that's medical lingo for 'her uterus is trying to escape.'

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3712330;
    Ummmm, I don't think the "hands" are the problem, Wind Dancer.
    LOL! Good one, AZChristian!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3712338;
    AZChristian--LOL. I agree with you on that.

BTW--in all seriousness I expect to hear any day now that she is being treated for prolapsed uterus--that's medical lingo for 'her uterus is trying to escape.'
    I actually agree with your posting, I couldnt have said it better myself.

She may already be treated with a prolapsed uterus.....all they have to do is use a cerclage and either have her do all her deliveries Ceasarian or take out the cerclage as her D-Date becomes closer.

+ Reply to Thread