+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 226 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596136186 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3705797;
    Hutchlover--hi. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. IMO there is no "good" reason in our times to have as many children as the Duggars have--unless they were adopting the way that couple who got killed did by adopting many special needs children.
    I am in total agreement about the adoption point.

Johanna is so adorable and fun!

I remember when she was born and now she's so rambunctious.

And Michelle's attitude that sometimes things happen when you have younger children and you have to go with the flow, is such a good one for a parent. Yes, you teach them manners & how to behave and caution them on dangers, but remember to keep calm when things go wrong. Getting all excited & upset does no one good. If they have a parenting book, I would buy it for my children for when they have their own. (Since mine are in their 20s)

We are literally watching these kids grow up before our very eyes, and it's fun to see. Next week Jim Bob and Michelle apparently renew their wedding vows, and Michelle goes to Kleinfeld's (the studio from Say Yes to the Dress) and gets herself a fancy-schmancy new dress.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3706561;
    This forum is to discuss the shows we are watching, good and bad. The problem is that most of the Duggar-bashers here have all stated they don't watch the show. How can you fairly discuss a topic that you know nothing about?
    Also, I think that they are bashed for religious beliefs that they have. Whether we personally choose any religion ourselves or not, I think all people should have the right to adhere to their personal religious beliefs, as long as they are not harming others. If people were on the board having a problem with Muslims praying five times a day and freaking out over that, it wouldn't be tolerated, but because the Duggars' are Christians, their belief system seems to be fair-game.
    The interesting thing to me is that there is very little bashing on other families that purposely impregnate themselves with multiple embryos and then have obnoxiously large families to have TV shows. They don't talk about how unhealthy that is for the fetuses or the mother. And so on.

They're having sex and having children. If I had it my way anyone breeding (one kid or more) should stop until all unwanted kids have homes. People attack what is different from their personal view points. And yes they put themselves out there and on tv and open to these attacks.

I hold completely different religious views than them. I don't even agree with their choice to have that many children. But that is a choice they are making. And I know choices I make don't impress some people either. When people are blindly attacking other people for the choices they are making they need to put a little self reflection into it. What do you do that people don't agree with? And why are you so angry at them for what they are doing when it doesn't affect you.

I don't watch this show. I watch none of these shows that exploit children.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3709311;
    The interesting thing to me is that there is very little bashing on other families that purposely impregnate themselves with multiple embryos and then have obnoxiously large families to have TV shows. They don't talk about how unhealthy that is for the fetuses or the mother. And so on.

They're having sex and having children. If I had it my way anyone breeding (one kid or more) should stop until all unwanted kids have homes. People attack what is different from their personal view points. And yes they put themselves out there and on tv and open to these attacks.

I hold completely different religious views than them. I don't even agree with their choice to have that many children. But that is a choice they are making. And I know choices I make don't impress some people either. When people are blindly attacking other people for the choices they are making they need to put a little self reflection into it. What do you do that people don't agree with? And why are you so angry at them for what they are doing when it doesn't affect you.

I don't watch this show. I watch none of these shows that exploit children.
    Causingchaos--hi.

I am going to disagree with some of your points.

First-I have seen a lot of criticism of people who purposefully have abnormally large familes these days. (Read the "Octomom threads here and elsewhere.) Most people consider it inappropriate and unhealthful for the children and for the environment.

Second--ALL people affect each other. Having large families does put extras strain on the environment that would not be there if the parents only replace themselves with two children.

Long gone are the days when we thought that each family is a little kingdom to and of itself with no effect on anyone else.

Along with that went the idea that it was "okay" for a man to force his wife to have sex because it "didn't affect anyone" but the two people involved.

And along with that went the idea that a man could treat his children any way he wanted to--including using them as slave labor and beating them--becuse it "didn't affect anyone else" but the family.

Long gone are those antiquated ideas.

Good riddance.

So winddancer, does that mean you forsee in the future in which there are no Duggarlike families? A future where letting the Duggars decide how many children to have and make other life choices based on their beliefs will be outdated? Would you see Michelle as being forced into sterilization? or abortion? A future of forcing everyone to live according to the beliefs of some, and good riddance to the antiquated idea of people making decisions for their own lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3709556;
    So winddancer, does that mean you forsee in the future in which there are no Duggarlike families? A future where letting the Duggars decide how many children to have and make other life choices based on their beliefs will be outdated? Would you see Michelle as being forced into sterilization? or abortion? A future of forcing everyone to live according to the beliefs of some, and good riddance to the antiquated idea of people making decisions for their own lives?
    That future exists: In CHINA!

FORT Fogey

Duckyface--Hi.

I think that we are all moving closer to taking external effects--as well as personal/intra-family effects--into account before we decide how many children to have.

FORT Newbie

I work for chinese people. My bosses even think the one child rule is stupid.
    Or if you caught having another child your fined. If you wish to have a second you can pay if you like.
    With the exception if you child is really smart, they may allow you to have another child. And Of course if you have mutliples they allow you to keep them....Which i always wondered about....what happens if you have twin in china...do they kill the weaker one or something?

It almost reminds me of the book The Giver..by Lois Lowery i read back in elementary school which i still adore
    Being in a community where no choices are your own and everything is decided for you. Where if your considered a weak link to the community your 'realeased'. Where families can only have two children a boy and a girl. which are placed in your care. Since you are not allowed to have emotions and feelings about the oppposite sex. Where you careers are choosen for you at age 12, where you pention to have a spouse, and then they choose the best choice for you, to pention to have kids which you can't even name yourselves or have till a year old when they can sleep threw the night and eat almost normally- that are born out of artifical insemination to 'birth mothers' who are trained to have 7 children and forced into manual labour for the rest of their lives. You don't even cook for yourselves, food it delivered to you. There are no books beyond scholar books, every day is the same in and out. Everything is the same, everyone wears the same clothes, has the same hair, no one see's colour its all shades of grey.

Is that what we want, to have every choice that should be ours made for us?
    How many children is to many? Who are we to say?

Would you want your choices you've made to be taken away? What if the birthrate suddenly dropped and alot of people died. And the goverment told everyone to have five or six children each? Which would never happen i know..
    Would you do it to follow the norm? or would you do your own thing and just have one or two kids? then who would the social misfits? the large families or the smaller ones?

btw way...i loved this weeks epsiode...Johannah is adorable. and weight watchers lol..I know the feeling jimbob.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3709556;
    How do you think this will work, in reality, with regard to the interplay between legal and religious issues. If, especially in the U.S., laws start being passed about forced sterilization, how many children you can have, etc., etc., etc., I would expect the various churches to get very involved. I could be wrong, but I just don't see that as a debate that is going to happen in my lifetime.

+ Reply to Thread