+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 232 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134184 ... LastLast
Like Tree345Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Wind Dancer, those reasons are not the same as the Duggars.

1) They're NOT having kids as worker bees.

2) Michelle's health has NOT been compromised due to her many pregnancies. There is no way Jim Bob would continue to make her keep having babies if her health was endangered.

You're seeing this from an emotional standpoint, not from the Duggar's point of view. If they - and the children - are happy, healthy, then it's not our business.

(And my hubby's grandmother had 14 children, 13 who survived birth. And they didn't live on a farm and none have ended up anything less than happy and while not wealthy, all his aunts & uncles have supported themselves.)

FORT Fogey

Hutchlover--hi. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. IMO there is no "good" reason in our times to have as many children as the Duggars have--unless they were adopting the way that couple who got killed did by adopting many special needs children.

Also--I only brought up the "farm families" as one example of why people used to have such large families.

We also tend to forget that women often died in childbirth or because of pregnancy-related illnesses.

Men who had large families often had more than one wife.

I'll agree with the poster above who mentioned the huge carbon footprint this family has--versus a family that adopts children who are already in existence.

BTW--I understand that this is a religious issue for some--I grew up in that kind of religious atmosphere of large families for various "religious" reasons. I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3705797;
    Hutchlover--hi. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. IMO there is no "good" reason in our times to have as many children as the Duggars have--unless they were adopting the way that couple who got killed did by adopting many special needs children.

Also--I only brought up the "farm families" as one example of why people used to have such large families.

We also tend to forget that women often died in childbirth or because of pregnancy-related illnesses.

Men who had large families often had more than one wife.

I'll agree with the poster above who mentioned the huge carbon footprint this family has--versus a family that adopts children who are already in existence.

BTW--I understand that this is a religious issue for some--I grew up in that kind of religious atmosphere of large families for various "religious" reasons. I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
    I agree with you 100%. Large families are no longer a necessity and over population is a burden on the planet.

Okay, I thought you were saying that because someone in your family had a farm in the past (and perhaps were treated like a worker bee), that's why you knew the Duggar children would never be happy or emotionally stable.

I don't see anything wrong with this many children - as long as the family can support them, and as long as it isn't killing the mother. I've seen many a woman with many children (and by many I mean 6+) look very haggard in their 40s. Michelle does not. She looks healthy. She's just one of those that being pregnant makes little difference I guess.

Oh, and my grandmother in law who had 14 kids? Didn't pass on until she was in her late 80s. So she obviously was made of the same constitution as Michelle Duggar.

To be fair, regarding their carbon footprint, also consider that this family buys used, seems to prepare their foods (and laundry detergent!) rather than relying on convenience items and their wasteful packaging, and probably does not log near the road time of an "average family" with two parents commuting and then shuttling children to and from school and extracurricular activities.

And I also see value in what the Duggars give back to the world - productive citizens with a spirit of service.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 09-18-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    remember to play

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

These parents are responsible, loving, involved, and financially responsible.

These children are smart, articulate, happy, and caring.

It's hard to understand people having a problem with that!?!

I think that when you break it down, person by person, that this family has a smaller carbon footprint. Sure, there are a lot of them, meaning more electricity, and there are the busses and everything which aren't exactly fuel-efficient. But they are all about the "buy used, save the difference" which helps a lot (just look at how much stuff there is used to package stuff these days), and you are correct about the "convenience foods"-I doubt any of them have ever touched a TV dinner (not only are they making the food themselves, which saves money, but they are healthier as a result). They also have wood-fired central heating in their home, which saves a lot on electric bills. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road, they decided to install solar panels to save some more money.

And as you mentioned, the kids aren't going off to 20 different activities-many of the things they do are based at their house, so they save a lot on transport that way. You also look at the fact that they have been taught to give back-which I believe is something that everybody should do, regardless of their religious beliefs or non-beliefs.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Newbie

I was raised Catholic, i had a rosery since i was born, along with a bible as christianing gifts lol. I went a catholic elementary school, which was pretty much same as a public school other then we said 'Our Father' or "Hail Mary" every morning after Oh Canada anthem. Prayed before Lunch.
    Though i never wore uniforms. But we did have church once a month at the parish next to us.

I knew the Ten Commandments by the time I was 6. By the time i was 10, i already knew multiple ways which you bring you to hell. I like to call it GASS. For Gay, Abortion, and Suciside, and sex before marriage. Which you were suppose to avoid to make it into heaven
    I remember quite well never being allowed to wear pants to church, and watching my grandmother on my mothers side who was a very religious women, though was not a preachy type, get ready for church, with her specially coiffed hair and pearls and jewelery and perfect make-up. while on my fathers, wasn't that religious and never went to church.. Actually my dad's mom was actually pissed at my mom for putting us into a catholic school, she wanted us in public.
    I was allowed to wear what i wanted to wear whatever i wanted. though i was never allowed to dye my hair, or have any piercing other them my ears. I still get lecture about how my nose stud is destroying my 'temple'. Hair was never an issue, though i always prefered it long hair to short.
    Though as a grew older I realised that i find Catholism very mind controlling and restricting and even somewhat hyprocritical. They Tell you God loves you for who you are, Or god made you who you are except if you this or that, or doing this and that.

So i don't think it really matters what religion you are, or brought up into. Its all the same, your brought up to agree and live that certain way. Whether you stay that way, or involve to something that you feels right to you Is up to you. A girl i knew in school was disowned from her family because she didn't want to be a jehovah witness, while in highschool.

FORT Newbie

Ga ignore my post lol... i totally misread the thread page and ended up replying to an old post from page 61 lol.... wow am I blond or what...

FORT Fogey

About that carbon footprint issue--think about this---

Let's say that each of the children gets married and has numerous chldren too.

Can we still say "small carbon footprint"?

Just wondering....

+ Reply to Thread