+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 259 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293133183 ... LastLast
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Newbie

Re: The Duggar Family

i just saw the new one... when they filmed telling the kids about it...

It seemed the older ones were kinda like ehh, and okay whatever great another kids, not like the little kids to about joy seemed excited about it.

but damn i want that slip in slid lol. I love those......but there bathing suits lol... oh wow..

Yep, the Wholesome Swimwear. Pretty ugly, if you ask me-there are much cuter ways that they could do the modest swimwear that still have the same sort of coverage.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fanatic

I think wearing that modest swimwear would be awful. Layers of wet fabric sticking to your skin - ick. I'm also surprised the girls didn't sew it themselves. I think they ordered it through the mail, so they must have paid full price (unless TLC bought it for them).

I thought it was completely inappropriate for a daughter to be taking care of a sick younger child. Where the heck was Michelle? SHE is the mom, and I feel it's the parent's responsibility. Don't fob it off on another sibling.

In some way I almost feel like Jana is the second mom-and I can only imagine how she feels.

I doubt TLC bought them the swimwear, as they look like the kind of thing that they would have had before the show had even aired. I can understand its purpose, and a lot of countries actually ban that sort of swimwear on beaches and in swimming pools due to it being less hygenic (more+looser material). It looks like it's a loose bodysuit that comes down to the knees, followed by the black jumper. They just look so...ugly. It really only looked decent on Jana and Joy-the rest of them, it looked like what they used to wear. Not knocking that, since for a long time they had to sew a lot of their clothes-but they dress way better now that they've had their show for awhile.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Newbie

They have the site on their website, and some of the 'modest bathing suit can be cute and modest....those to me just look like potato sacks. lol. Though looking at the prices they probably made themselves.
    Simply Modest - Home

I feel for Jana to, i think it was really bad Jana would of gotten Michelle, but one throwing up kid probably is just a regular occurance in that house probably.
    ..but i remember a few days where my mom went to work leaving me home sick alone...or just with my brother.pretty much when i had the chicken pox for the second time in grade 2 lol. Mostly when they needed her during the day at work and she couldn't get out of it, and Dad couldn't help since he shipped me to my mothers because he never had the chicken pox lol..
    That was the week i watched Sailor moon three times a day best week of my life lol beside having my hands in oven mits so i wouldn't scratch lol.

God i wonder what the duggar be like if they caught the chicken pox's lol. Though they have vaccines for it now i guess. But when the older kids were younger. They must of been through it at some point, even if you are homeschool or what not. 5 kids running around with the pox....'no scratching! Stop picking at the scabs! where's the calamine lotion! I need some oatmeal for the bath! i can see it now lol.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3703671;
    I think wearing that modest swimwear would be awful. Layers of wet fabric sticking to your skin - ick. I'm also surprised the girls didn't sew it themselves. I think they ordered it through the mail, so they must have paid full price (unless TLC bought it for them).

I thought it was completely inappropriate for a daughter to be taking care of a sick younger child. Where the heck was Michelle? SHE is the mom, and I feel it's the parent's responsibility. Don't fob it off on another sibling.
    Swissmiss--hi. That is one of the major problems for older girls in large families--they end up having to be moms to younger children while they themselves are still children.

Many girls from big families do not go on to have large families of their own. Many do not have children at all because they have been through child-raising work already.

I apologize for saying this in this way but--IMO based on my own experiences and from observing the experiences of other children in larger familes--parents who insist on having such large families are doing it to satisfy their own egos--and are not thinking about the effects on their children at all.

Other views and opinions may vary.

I know a lot of families, including the one I grew up in, where the oldest child takes a lot of responsibility. My family had only three kids and I had to take care of the younger two. Not because we had a large family, but because my mother worked and didn't really want to be a mom. My niece has the same situation where her parents expect her to stay home with the younger kids when they are sick, take care of them after school, stay home to babysit on the weekends, be sure there's something for dinner, get the washing done, etc etc and I feel so sorry for her.

At least the Duggars split up the work and Mom seems to work harder than any of the kids. I don't think it's fair to say that large families lead to kids having too much reponsibility. It happens in small families as well. It's not a bad thing to learn to work and learn a work ethic. I know we don't see the whole picture at all, only selected bits, but it looks like the kids have plenty of time to have fun as well. Remember, if they weren't home schooled they'd be in school 6 or 7 hours a day. I don't think their housework and school work together add up to that.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 09-16-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Actually it's better for one of the kids to take care of another sick kid. If Michelle got sick from Johanna, with all the contact she has with all the kids throughout the day, then not only would every single one of them be likely to come down with it, but it conceivably could just keep re-curring in the household.

Jana probably has a better immune system than Michelle does, after all those pregnancies.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3703990;
    I apologize for saying this in this way but--IMO based on my own experiences and from observing the experiences of other children in larger familes--parents who insist on having such large families are doing it to satisfy their own egos--and are not thinking about the effects on their children at all. Other views and opinions may vary.
    I think Patton Oswalt did a standup bit on this. It was funny. How people used to have large families...when children were being dragged off by wolves. This family must have a huge carbon footprint.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler;3705657;
    I think Patton Oswalt did a standup bit on this. It was funny. How people used to have large families...when children were being dragged off by wolves. This family must have a huge carbon footprint.
    Austin Gambler--hi. I'm from a family whose ancestors were primarily farmers and the reason for the large families was given as "needing more hands to help out on the farm."

And the reasons for the number of pregnancies was given as the numerous deaths of children in their first year from diseases that no longer kill. And from poor diet and chronic illnesses of older children. as well as farm accidents.

My great grandmother had 15 live births (this does not include pregnancies that ended in miscarriages--twelve of whom lived to adulthood.

All were home births.

So I have seen this kind of large family and believe me when I say it is not good for anyone in terms of either emotional or physical wellbeing--either the parents or the children.

IMO only from experience and observation. Other opinions may vary.