+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 260 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

with that many kids, the odds are better that a few WILL rebel when they grow up ... if not as teenagers, then when they become adults and move away. trust me, it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3231356;
    Yeah....but they are basically told what to do with their lives. I know they all "want" to be like that but if they were really given the chance to make up their OWN mind.....I bet most of them wouldn't be like that.

There's strict and then there is trying to make your children NOT fit in with the rest of society. Imo, thats not fair to the child. The last episode I saw the dad said that because they were homeschooled they actually were able to meet MORE friends. No....just MORE of the kind of people that HE wants them to be around.

I like the show...don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't raise my children like that.
    Just like my parents told me, they will have plenty of opportunity to make up their own mind when they move out and get on their own. As long as they live with mom and dad, they live by mom and dad's rules. Makes sense to me.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Yeah...I was just brought up differently. My parents "rules" were that I was able to wear the kinds of clothes I wanted, kiss when I feel its right, be homeschooled or go to regular school (I did both), to be open and to know that I have a mind of my own.....and I have 6 siblings. I think they are a great family but like Amy (the cousin) says....its not for her.

I was raised by extremely permissive parents and had little in the way of rules or boundaries put up around me and it was not a pretty picture as I grew older. Thankfully I was able to clean up my life as an adult.

I wouldn't raise my kids like the Duggars for various reasons (mainly the religious one) but it is working for them and it is not my place to say that is wrong. The children are taken care of, they're not being neglected, their not being used as slave labor, from outside appearances it appears as though they are not being abused. So I'm ok with their parenting choices.

Also, side note here is that I know plenty of of parents that "make" their children adhere to "dress codes" or only wear certain clothes. They aren't the clothes the Duggar's are wearing but I know plenty normal people that don't allow free reign of the clothes either.

I wonder if Amy has filled her cousins in on some of the goings on in the real world. Heaven forbid if brought a cigarette of some sort to "share" with her cousins. There is so much going on in that huge house, I doubt anyone would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3231364;
    with that many kids, the odds are better that a few WILL rebel when they grow up ... if not as teenagers, then when they become adults and move away. trust me, it'll happen.
    My money's on Jinger. There seems to be a little bit of a smart aleck in her and I swear I've seen her roll her eyes once or twice on the show.

TiVo was kind enough to record 3 or 4 episodes recently so I was able to catch up on the episodes I had missed.

In my opinion, the Bates family made the Duggar family look almost normal (emphasis on "almost"). I liked the way Michelle felt the need to defend why they allow their kids to have limited access to the computer. (While the Bates family doesn't even own a computer.)

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Haha, I was thinking the same thing about Jinger. I can definitely see her being the one to test the waters on the "other side." She's adorable too....all the kids are. At least I think they are....I think I get a lot of them confused.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3232630;
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing about Jinger. I can definitely see her being the one to test the waters on the "other side." She's adorable too....all the kids are. At least I think they are....I think I get a lot of them confused.
    HAHA! I was totally thinking the same thing about Jinger with a J. They do seem like a loving and tolerant family that would "Love the sinner, hate the sin".

FORT Newbie

I don't mean to be rude, but I am in awe that you all think that the Duggars are simple super conservative/Fundamentalist Christians. They are part of a fundamentalist cult folowing called Gothardite. The are Quiver Full....which means they do not have any intention of practicing birth control, however I think it is part of the ploy of Gothard to expand his following. They believe that adopted children are evil. They use a 'Buddy system' in order to make their enormous clan work. This means that as soon as Michelle weans the new child from breastfeeding she passes the infant onto one of the older (like 8 yrs old and up) girls and that girl raises that child...NOT Michelle. She then immediately proceeds to become pregnant as son as possible.

I feel bad for these kids.

This family is twisted.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 12-10-2008 at 04:48 PM.

how come all there names start with a J

+ Reply to Thread