+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 241 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree383Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

MRD

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;3216662;
    Please Jeebus, don't tell me that this is going to be a regular show. I know, I know, I don't HAVE to watch it, but just knowing that it is being telecast makes me throw up a little. More greedy people with too little sense. I wonder how much they will scam from the network and public before their 15 minutes are up. I'm sure they probably get food stamps and I just read that their house was finished (they'd been working on it for 2 years) AND furnished by the production company or maybe it was a rich benefactor. Whatever look how the midgets cleaned up (they're building a mansion) and the couple with twins and sextet, they're always getting freebies (A hair transplant, how about college funds for the kinder instead of catering to your own misdirected vanity.
    The Duggars have never taken public assistance and are very proud of that fact. He was a state legislator for a while. But the shows I've seen, he says that they pay cash for everything and if they don't have the cash, they don't buy it. He has a real estate business that apparantly does very well. It took them 2 years to build the house because they were building it themselves and paying for it as they went. If the production company finished the house and furnished it for them, then I would assume that that was part of the contract for the tv show. Mr. Duggar appears to be very business savvy and one episode I saw was that they shop in a discount grocery store. I'm sure they are fairly good at finding ways to save money. I know the girls clothes are all sewn at home.

While I wouldn't want to live like the Duggars, I do find their economic values to be something that are admirable. More of us should live like that, then maybe we wouldn't be in the economic mess we're in now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3225566;
    yes, westboro baptist church is the group that has the godhatesfags website. that's why i said even though they call themselves baptist, they are not affiliated with any denomination, much less the "real" baptists.
    Many pentacostals align themselves with various Baptist sects. Including the snake handlers. Either the Baptists are incredibly lenient about who they let under their umbrella or the Westboro Baptists are usurping the name.
    P.S. The Westboro Baptists may use that "word" as part of their website, but I don't find it necessary to use here. It is offensive and hurtful.

Someone mentioned that they thought the Duggar's wouldn't ostracize any of the siblings if they came out as gay. I do agree that probably some of them would be okay with it but I can't help but think there would be a couple siblings (and sadly probably the Father) that would NOT be okay with it. But then again you never know.

But honestly even if one of the children is gay I doubt they would ever come out due to the way they were raised and the beliefs they hold. They are incredibly loving and caring family but I can't imagine any of them ever feeling as if coming out as gay/lesbian would even be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3227216;
    The Duggars have never taken public assistance and are very proud of that fact. He was a state legislator for a while. But the shows I've seen, he says that they pay cash for everything and if they don't have the cash, they don't buy it. He has a real estate business that apparantly does very well. It took them 2 years to build the house because they were building it themselves and paying for it as they went. If the production company finished the house and furnished it for them, then I would assume that that was part of the contract for the tv show. Mr. Duggar appears to be very business savvy and one episode I saw was that they shop in a discount grocery store. I'm sure they are fairly good at finding ways to save money. I know the girls clothes are all sewn at home.

While I wouldn't want to live like the Duggars, I do find their economic values to be something that are admirable. More of us should live like that, then maybe we wouldn't be in the economic mess we're in now.

Several months ago I tried to find stuff on the internet about the Duggars as far as how they get their income, if they're on public assistance, etc. and I couldn't find anything except that they host seminars and that they are both realtors and have commercial property that they rent. I've noticed with their new show(s) that Michelle even says, in the intro, "to help make ends meet, we own several commericial properties that we rent out."

And while I'm sure that they had "help" getting the house finished and furnished, I'm more ok with that than I am with all the perks like Jon and Kate getting tummy tucks, boob jobs, hair transplants, trips to Hawaii, new vans.....well, you get the picture!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

me too.
    i still record and watch both shows ... and once i watched the duggars first and then "the other one" afterwards and i couldn't believe what a change in my own feelings when switching shows. such a huge difference between the two families, ESPECIALLY the mothers and how they treat and talks about their children.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3230478;
    me too.
    i still record and watch both shows ... and once i watched the duggars first and then "the other one" afterwards and i couldn't believe what a change in my own feelings when switching shows. such a huge difference between the two families, ESPECIALLY the mothers and how they treat and talks about their children.
    Absolutely! Like night and day!! You can see the products of the different parenting styles. I've never seen any of the Duggar children have tanturms but I can't say the same for the children of the "other" family.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3230629;
    Absolutely! Like night and day!! You can see the products of the different parenting styles. I've never seen any of the Duggar children have tanturms but I can't say the same for the children of the "other" family.
    So many people criticize the manor of dress and how strict their parents are when it comes to internet access and television, but I say more power to them. I wish I were a little more firm with my kids about things like tv, computer, video games but I always seem to give in because it's just easier than arguing.

The Duggars really seem to be down to earth, loving and respectful. The children are intelligent, well behaved and talented. I'd invite them to spend the weekend at my house anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by MargaritaHour;3230940;
    So many people criticize the manor of dress and how strict their parents are when it comes to internet access and television, but I say more power to them. I wish I were a little more firm with my kids about things like tv, computer, video games but I always seem to give in because it's just easier than arguing.

The Duggars really seem to be down to earth, loving and respectful. The children are intelligent, well behaved and talented. I'd invite them to spend the weekend at my house anytime!
    Me too, but sadly they wouldn't fit! I don't even think I have enough seating room for 19-20 extra guests. I guess if you count sitting on our beds as seats, they would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3230946;
    Me too, but sadly they wouldn't fit! I don't even think I have enough seating room for 19-20 extra guests. I guess if you count sitting on our beds as seats, they would fit.

They'd be happy set up in tents in the backyard! They'd look at it as an adventure for the family. And just think, you wouldn't even have to cook with organic foods! Heck, maybe Mama Duggar would treat us to her Tater Tot Casserole!

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3230629;
    Yeah....but they are basically told what to do with their lives. I know they all "want" to be like that but if they were really given the chance to make up their OWN mind.....I bet most of them wouldn't be like that.

There's strict and then there is trying to make your children NOT fit in with the rest of society. Imo, thats not fair to the child. The last episode I saw the dad said that because they were homeschooled they actually were able to meet MORE friends. No....just MORE of the kind of people that HE wants them to be around.

I like the show...don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't raise my children like that.

+ Reply to Thread